JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thousands of Homes in Hurricane Florence's Path Lack Flood Insurance

snippet:

Fewer homeowners in North and South Carolina own flood insurance than five years ago, signaling many won't have access to ready cash if they need to rebuild after Hurricane Florence.

Standard homeowners' insurance policies typically cover damage from fire and other storm-related events. But they exclude storm surge and other flooding damage—and wind damage, in some coastal counties. Instead, homeowners must buy separate policies to get the excluded coverage. For flood policies, they typically buy from the U.S. government.

As of July 31, the latest figures available, the 134,306 policies in place in North Carolina from the National Flood Insurance Program represented a 3.6% decline from 2013. In South Carolina, ownership was down 1.2%, to 204,342, according to an analysis of government data by The Wall Street Journal.

The declines come despite significant building along the coast in both states over that same period.

"Residents of these states are materially less prepared than they were in the past to deal with the financial consequences associated with major flooding events," said Robert Hartwig, a risk-management and insurance professor at the University of South Carolina's Darla Moore School of Business.

The widespread lack of flood insurance and low savings balances across much of the U.S. population will force hundreds of thousands of homeowners to seek federal disaster assistance in the form of grants and loans, he said.

One of my boys is hunkered down there on Ft. Bragg (first ring around the bullseye). His unit was basically told "no work until Monday." Classic Army. He called insurance to confirm his new-ish Ram 4x4 is covered against storm damage, so he's 50/50 right now over hoping it's still outside when the shjtstorm finally subsides.

Very seriously... fingers crossed here and good thoughts for everyone who might be affected there.

He should be fine. Parts of base are higher than where I am, and higher than Fayetteville is. Hope it doesn't turn out worse though.

If he can get out, he should!

Hope you're safe too.

We're in contact, which means they still have cell service. Soldiers are holed up in barracks "with Coronas and MREs." Assuming he'll still have his 4x4 next week, I just hope he doesn't try to drive it around even in (what looks like) shallow water.

Hope you're safe too.

We're in contact, which means they still have cell service. Soldiers are holed up in barracks "with Coronas and MREs." Assuming he'll still have his 4x4 next week, I just hope he doesn't try to drive it around even in (what looks like) shallow water.
A tornado watch is in his area as well as mine until 7 AM. Try to keep in contact with him whenever you can.

I was actually considering parasailing.

I'm gonna edit the previous post of what happens as the hurricane goes on, as much as I can anyways. Most of time a tornado watch never turns into a warning, but we did have a tornado a few years ago so who knows.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top