JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Me and my wife just got a Lab puppy last month... We are still working on the basic training, and he is catching on pretty well (so far). But once he gets the basics down, i would like to train him for bird retrieval. Any good tips or sources to check out for helping him learn to soft mouth, mark birds, ect. We live in the Beaverton area, figured maybe taking him to Hagg lake, after it starts warming up for swimming training or somewhere closer. Also Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Hope everyone has a great holiday!

The most important things to remember are don't let a puppy do what you don't want a big dog to do. Let them do it as a puppy and it's pretty hard to make them stop.
Tell them once and make them do it the second time. I laugh evry time I watch someone say sit 100 times. The second time,your hand is on his a$$ pushing it down. Do "come" commands with a light rope like a clothes line. Then when you call him,real him in. He will figure when you call he's coming rather he wants to or not. If he's off leash,go get him immediately and bring him back to where you were. Start over. If he thinks it's a game,don't let him off the clothes line.

DOMINATE YOUR DOG.
I went to dog parks for 8+ years and some dogs had more respect for me,after I dropped them for fighting,than they did for their owners.
Just make him lie down and then hold him there while you are kind of laying on top.When he gets exited,calm him down and stay on top until he can keep calm. Not until then ,will he truly recognize you as his boss.
The worst dogs at the parks were the ones that the owners didn't do this.

Go at it slooowwww with the gun training.Make noise while he is eating with some pans,then something louder,then the 22,then try the shot gun.
I believe my dog was at the pound because this didn't work. She is such a skeerdy cat.She is kinda afraid to jump the pheasants at the release sight,when it isn't a hunting day. So go real slow at this.

Now training for birds should be easy. My Rot,yes Rot mix didn't take any training at all. I shot the birds and she just went and got them. A guy I worked with did this with his Springer pup and pheasants.

Get him retrieving a wing or dummy bird ** NO TENNIS BALLS** then that's their whole focus in life.Get one of those throwers that has the caps in it.Then he relates the shot with retrieving birds.
Then they look at you like a dipsh!t when you miss.lol
The swimming part should be natural and it's a great way to burn lots of energy.Almost makes then civil!

You can pay for lots of training or just go at it slow on your own. If he is a good lab and you teach him the basic commands and don't make him gun shy,the retrievals should come naturally.
Most of the next level training is for show and field trials.

Good luck!

Thanks guys.... yeah we are taking him to pet smart for just basic stuff.. lay down, sit come, he is not allowed on furniture because judging by his dad and his paws, he is going to be a big boy. The gun training, and duck retrieving is something i have not done with a dog before. i will diffidently look into the book, and work with him to not be gun shy. thanks for the tips yall.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top