Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Humans have created a new top predator that is taking over the Northeast

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by mjbskwim, Nov 1, 2015.

1. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

So the scientists (probably against hunting) put out an article about the "coywolf" and the large numbers of them in the North east.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/ther...on-coywolves-in-the-northeast-2015-10?ref=yfp
    What do they think this will do to hunting these things? How's a guy with a coyote tag supposed to know the difference?
    Has anyone seen any very large coyotes around the northwest?
    I remember 1 time walking in the park at Stelicoom.340 acre park btw,lots of woods around. Lots of coyotes cause seeing them wasn't unusual.
    1 day we had 3 dogs running around,Luckily they didn't see what I did. It was a rather large coyote.I had a 85 pound dog and my friend's was about 130. The coyote was taller and longer than my rot but thinner. Not a skinny little ratty coyote that I have seen in the park before.
    I figures it must be around the 75 pound area. It just looked at use and slithered away into the brush

edslhead likes this.
  2. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

There are states that actually issue tags for Coyote hunting?

3. mjbskwim

I was guessing the east coast states have a tag for everything.
    Here it would just be your license

4. RVTECH

In all my years of Coyote hunting and just seeing them informally I cant honestly say I have ever seen one 'unusually' large - but I have see some that have probably exceeded 50 or more lbs. As far as:
    If I understand these two question correctly I am thinking you are suggesting the Coywolf would be protected and the coyote not. IF coyotes are considered 'vermin' in these areas then I suspect there would be no legal distinction as they are natural hybrid as opposed to something artificially introduced. Not unlike the 'CoyDogs' that are occasionally written about. I recall reading something about 20 or so years ago about them with a similar 'concern' in the story but again more hype than reality.

mjbskwim likes this.
  5. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you want to see some "Major Yotes" go to Sun City AZ. and check out the golf course. The buggers just stand there and look at you..:eek: I guess that's better than the "Gators" in the ponds in the South.:p

Caveman Jim and mjbskwim like this.
  6. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

mjbskwim likes this.
  7. RVTECH

Chicoyote?
    CoyChi?

Koda and edslhead like this.
  8. mjbskwim

My thought was since it has wolf dna in it they may try to protect it. I know the coyote hunters out there do kill them from different forums.Now that the NY times picked it up i would guess they will investigate if these wolf hybrid are being hunted

9. RVTECH

My thought also BUT aren't wolves already 'open game' in Canada?

10. mjbskwim

Yeah but the hunters in the US are also seeing these quite a bit.Even thru the eastern side of the midwest

11. RVTECH

Yea - lets not put any ideas in their (small) heads!!

mjbskwim likes this.