JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At 1:15 AM yesterday morning, my wife and I got the phone call that every parent dreads. My wife picked up the phone and my son said "Mom, we're OK, but we were in an accident".

My son and his fiance were one mile from home on an exit ramp from I-405 in Seattle to get on to Hwy 167 to take them into Renton where they live when he saw a car coming at him airborn doing a roll. It hit the pavement right before it his my son's car, thankfully that soaked up some of the impact, and it hit my son's car in the drivers side front quarter panel destroying it and pushing it into the engine. Both air bags deployed. The other car ended up on it's roof. Both cars are totaled.

My son and his fiance were bruised and scratched up, but other wise OK. They are getting checked out by the Dr's today. The 18 year old girl driving the other car and her boyfriend had to climb out of the drivers side window. The were also relatively unhurt. Fire fighters and paramedics on the sceen couldn't believe what they saw. The other car crossed probably over 100 yards of ground in the median of the cloverleaf and still had enough momentum to carry them up and over a concrete barrier. They estimate they were traveling at a very high rate of speed. They drew blood from the other driver and passenger at the scene as they expect alcohol was involved.

My son's car was a 2008 Nissan Versa. Miracously, the cabin was intact other than the fact that my son couldn't open his door. I thank god Nissan makes a good car. If they had been in my son's fiance's old Ford Aspire, I'm pretty sure they'd both be dead now.

Go home and hug or call your kids. You never know if the last time you saw them will be the last.

Good grief, that sounds scary as anything, for all parties involved! I'm glad everyone got out alright, I'm amazingly surprised at how well people survive in car crashes these days.

Ill third that. Good to hear everyone walked.

Kids sure know how to put the worry into you, huh? It wasn't that long ago that every night I would sneak into my 7 and 4 year olds room to listen and make sure they are still breathing.

But they're worth every terrifying moment...

This thread scared the heck out of me when I saw it.

Even though the kids said they were OK, we drove up to Renton yesterday just to see them for a few hours and them drove back. We were emotionally and physically exhausted by the time we got back to Hillsboro, but we just had to see them and hug them.

We've been thru the whole spectrum of emotions. Weekend before last they got engaged and then this happens this weekend. I'm a basket case. :eek:

Great news all were OK....each incident like this makes you appreciate every minute your kids are around....it could have been much much worse. Dont take them for granted....time is short....

Great news all were OK....each incident like this makes you appreciate every minute your kids are around....it could have been much much worse. Dont take them for granted....time is short....

I know. My son and I talked about it earlier this evening. They were very, very lucky. One split second difference or 3 feet closer to the shoulder and the outcome could have been far more tragic.

I'm torn between being glad that no one got dead and wanting to kick the living bubblegum out of the gal that was driving the other car, but I don't have all the details yet.

If it is found that she was impaired, I hope they throw the book at her. It's not about revenge, it's about justice and sending a message. Although, if it is found that she was impaired, any beef that my son and his fiance have with her will pale in comparison to the legal and financial issues she will face and a possible criminal conviction.

It's all about the choices me make.

I know that feeling when your kids are involved. Sometimes poor choices equal dead or crippled kids. These kids get a second chance .....may not next time. If the others were drinking/drugs....... justice should be very harsh to hopefully make it sink in. Cars kill many times more people than guns...and are dangerous weapons in irresponsible hands.......

Hey Cougfan-

I live south of your son down in Puyallup by a few short miles, if there is anything I can do to help let me know. It isn't a problem to help them out if needed.

SF-

Hey Cougfan-

I live south of your son down in Puyallup by a few short miles, if there is anything I can do to help let me know. It isn't a problem to help them out if needed.

SF-

Silver Fox, I really appreciate the offer, but I think they have things pretty well in hand. The biggest hassle now will probably be dealing with the insurance companies, but my son's fiance's mother is an insurance attorney so she knows all about those ins and outs. ;)

Glad the kids are okay.

But I *really* want to know what the heck that gal did to get her car airborne. That has to be a great story.

Also another reason I won't let my wife drive my Cobra. Women drivers. Feh.

But I *really* want to know what the heck that gal did to get her car airborne. That has to be a great story.

We don't know for sure, but we're thinking a combination of a very high rate of speed and a 45% birm. Although we don't know this for a fact yet, I think it was likely more an issue of a drunk driver rather than it being a female driver.

I missed it if you said it, but what kind of car was it? If it was a Trans Am or something, then it lowers my interest. If it was something like a Hyundai, I hope there's video.

The interchange down south around 167 is a horror show. I'm more surprised there haven't been more accidents down that way, let alone fatalities.

Glad the family is safe and sound....

I got a similar call Sunday night from my GREAT mother-in-law. She and her boyfriend were driving south of Eugene on I-5. Apparently someone had lost a load of 3/4" plywood on the freeway. The boyfriend (driving his brand new Camero) was falling a semi, well the semi drove over the plywood and somehow the semi caught a sheet of plywood, threw into the air directly at head level. The boyfriend was able to swerve and in doing so, the plywood hit his front bumper and threw the sheet of plywood up over the car...thank god there was no one behind them. My mother-in-law said if he hadn't swerved the plywood would have gone right thru the front windshield and taken both there heads off.

Now that is scary.

I missed it if you said it, but what kind of car was it? If it was a Trans Am or something, then it lowers my interest. If it was something like a Hyundai, I hope there's video.

The other driver was in what looked like a fairly new Cadillac SRV. Cadillac's crossover SUV. It was Mom's car. Although I'm sure the little gals Mom is grateful she is alive, if it were my daughter she wouldn't drive another car until it was one she bought and paid for with her own money.

Mom should be glad Cadillac makes a good car too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top