JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Store in a cool dry place. Ammo cans work very well for that. Try to limit large quick temperature changes.

With that said lots of ammo has been stored in much worse conditions and works just fine.

There are two basic types of ammo storage. One is your stash for immediate use. For me that is stored in ammo cans that have good seals. I add a desicant package, one of those with a moisture indicator on it and can be "rejuvenated" in the oven when it becomes saturated with moisture. If you don't open the can, that won't happen for a real long time (years).

The next type of "storage" is the "Doomsday Stash". For years people have been just using large diameter plastic sewer pipe capped on one end and with a threaded "Clean-out" type fitting on the other. Fill it with your ammo you feel you'll need when the "residue hits the rotor", add a fresh desiccant pack or two, then screw in the plug using lots of good pipe joint compound. Can even tape over it with some "Gorilla Tape". Then go bury it in a deep hole that you can find when you need it. Preferrably not near a river where a flood will wash it up or where there will be future construction, again where it will be found.

BTW, be sure to map your stash/cache carefully using permanent references like huge rocks etc, rather than trees that get cut down etc. A good set of GPS coordinates might help but just remember, that will take batteries and working satellites to help you find it.

OK, so the last is a little extreme but --------

I put my loaded ammo into labeled ziplok bags and store those in steel ammo cans. Those cans are stored on wooden shelves inside cheap, key lock, sheet metal gun safes bolted to the wall.

USGI surplus ammo cans and dessicant packs tossed in. You can reactivate the little silica desi packs that come with commercial products, they work great

The most important thing that hasn't been said in this thread yet: DO NOT STORE SOLVENTS OR CLEANING COMPOUNDS NEAR YOUR AMMO, these compounds can/will eat brass (because they have chemicals designed for removing copper from bores) and have solvents that dissolve powder and primer residue, storing solvents in the same cabinet/box/etc is a huge no-no. Oils can be equally problematic. Preferably store your gun in a separate place away from your ammo, for safety and longevity of your ammo supply...

Some of the hunters that come out to DRRC for hunter's sight-in seem to believe ammo is best stored in their well oiled leather cartridge belt...turns 'em a really pretty shade of greenish black :)

I feel that Zcorr bags are your best option. They have a rust inhibitor in the layers of plastic, they are reusable and they also have a pleated bottom to fit both the 50cal and 30cal ammo cans.
I sell the bags at most all the local gun shows (Ptld-Vanc-Puyallup) or contact me and I can send you some info about the bags.
Thanks, Marc
[email protected]
360-901-3454

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top