JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Howdy!

New to reloading, and haven't even started reloading rifle yet. That will be a while.

Just curious on how you go about prepping 7.62x51 military surplus brass which has crimped primer pockets? Because I have a whole bunch once fired, Hirtenberger.

Looks like such deprimed:

960701A1-A9DB-4584-81DE-B8212A893FCA_zpsyjuyldve.jpg

A friend is going to be gifting me an unused single stage press, and .308 dies. Not sure yet which brand, but there is a decapping/sizing one.

Is there an efficient process to prep the crimped primer pocket? Specific suggestions of tool brands/ideas welcome. Can I use a hand drill with some type of bit, if so which? Etc.

Thanks!

Back in my reloading days I just used the swaging buttons on my Rock Chucker. I got a Mini 14, scope mount, 300rnds, 700 brass, sizing dies, swaging buttons and a good military sling for $225!

Wish I still had that rifle! Taught my son to shoot with his Marlin.22 and the Mini. Not real accurate but at 150yds a ground squirrel was meat! :D

1453686089478.jpg Dillion swager rocks!

I have since mounted it on its own inline fab QD plate and with the spring ejection along with the inline fab alignment insert it is lighting quick.... the spring throws the cases off and into a catch bin.

Last Edited:
Screenshot_2017-04-22-17-12-42.png

If you wanna keep it on the cheap, home cheapo has a ryobi countersink bit on a 1/4" shaft that works great. I've processed a lot of 5.56 with it and its going strong. :) I would prefer the Dillon super swager...but its spendy

Last Edited:
Howdy!

New to reloading, and haven't even started reloading rifle yet. That will be a while.

Just curious on how you go about prepping 7.62x51 military surplus brass which has crimped primer pockets? Because I have a whole bunch once fired, Hirtenberger.

Looks like such deprimed:

View attachment 358380

A friend is going to be gifting me an unused single stage press, and .308 dies. Not sure yet which brand, but there is a decapping/sizing one.

Is there an efficient process to prep the crimped primer pocket? Specific suggestions of tool brands/ideas welcome. Can I use a hand drill with some type of bit, if so which? Etc.

Thanks!
i have an rcbs primer pocket swager. u are more than welcome to come over and use it for your brass

Reading a bit, and all the responses, seems a swage die or die set will be the way I'll go. Had no idea such existed!

Have a hornady lock n load AP allready. Might hold off on deciding on a swage die until my friend gifts me his single stage press. Then I can get a feel for which die will work best with it.

I'm thinking a single swage die will work fine, rather than the Hornady set for my progressive press. I do have a bunch to process, but once that's processed it'll only likely be a few.

I'm also thinking swage, because I do a bunch of my reloading at really oddball hours when I'm amidst every other week shift change over (graveyards towards "trying" to get "normal" sleep...), so the less power tools I use at 3:30am will make for a happy house!! ;)

Happy wife, happy life!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR