Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How To Get WA CHL As OR Resident

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by cascadianliberty2012, Apr 28, 2013.

1. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012 DPR Portland Well-Known Member

I looked around and couldn't find a clear answer, so here it goes:
    I live here in Oregon but want to be able to Carry Concealed in Washington. I know Oregon CHL-residents can get those permits for Washington easily, I just don't know how to... so what do I need to do and where do I go?
    Best way to go about this?
    Thanks!

And do they still do those paper-licenses? "Seems legit"

2. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Go to an adjacent Washington County Sheriffs office or City Police department, fill out and turn in an application with the fee. You will have to give a reason why you want to carry concealed in their city/county.

Or take a Utah CCW class and send them your non-resident application, photo, fingerprint card and copy of your Oregon drivers license along with $51. My Utah CCW class included application, photo, fingerprint card and copy of drivers license in the price of the course. Washington recognizes the Utah permit but not Oregon's. Go figure.

3. cascadianliberty2012

cascadianliberty2012 DPR Portland Well-Known Member

Ok great, so just to be sure here, I can go to any Police station in Vancouver/ Clark Co. and they'll take care of it?

4. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

5. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

No other state will recognize Oregon's CHL because Oregon will not recognize any other states permit. It's REALLY stupid. We should get some reciprocity laws going.

NWGlockgal and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

Not quite... check with Clark County Sheriff about when and where they accept apps...

And we don't take yours because YOU don't take OURS or ANYBODY's. Get some reciprocity bills passed, and if our AG reviews them and determines your standards "Substantially Similar" (the statute requirement for recip) to ours, and maybe someday...

7. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

You do not have to give a reason for getting a CPL in the State of Washington.

Several states recognize OR CHLs but OR will not recognize any other state's concealed handgun permit/license or sign reciprocity agreements with any other state.

8. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you guys also have Ginny Burdick and her cronies to deal with... which means unless someone finds a scandal that removes her from office it's gonna take a miracle. Even OUR foamer antis pale next to the likes of that vile creature...

accessbob and (deleted member) like this.
  9. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

10. JAFO

I wouldn't exactly say Kline and Kohl-Welles pale in comparison. They regularly introduce anti-gun legislation session after session.

11. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not exactly correct as an Oregon permit will be honored in Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

12. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

Got it, for some reason I thought it was a two way street. It's just good old Oregon. Man we need to stop letting Portland make all the rules.

13. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

Not true, an Oregon CHL is valid in several states including Idaho and Montana.

14. soberups

soberups Newberg Well-Known Member

The Utah non-resident permit is a much better value, it is recognized in more states and...most importantly for those of us who work a lot of hours...you can renew it by mail.

15. JAFO

Fixt with my opinion interjected.