JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recall a few years ago seeing a Prius in the ditch with chains on the rear tires.

Lol. I just googled it and it came up. I remember it being a viral picture when it happened.

upload_2019-2-9_12-43-35.jpeg

We've got a prius and it is a great car... gets 54 mpg and hauls a ton of stuff. It is ,however, totally disabled by even a milimeter of snow. It has a drive system that kills power to the wheel if it is slipping, so it is impossible to drive it when it is icy or snowy. There is supposed to be a means of disabling the antislip drive with a series of button pushes and strange bushman chants. I have a 20 year old ford expedition battle wagon that we use whenever it snows.

It is nice to have a vehicle that you can use to push stuff out of the way by ramming a trailer hitch into it, or plowing it out of the way with the front end and not worry about scratching the paint.

"Make sure you accelerate and decelerate slowly to keep from skidding and remember it takes more time and space to slow down on snowy roads. Give yourself more following distance. Increase it to five or six seconds. That will give a higher margin of error is someone in front of you slams on the brakes or something happens."

Wow, that was really informative:rolleyes:.

Trying to get from Muskegon Mi to St. Helen's tomorrow. Had to put my dad in a alzheimer ward back here or else I would not have gone. I have a 4wd drive Nitron setting at the airport if i can get to pdx tomorrow. Just read a storm of the century starts Monday. Wish me luck tomorrow.

Trying to get from Muskegon Mi to St. Helen's tomorrow. Had to put my dad in a alzheimer ward back here or else I would not have gone. I have a 4wd drive Nitron setting at the airport if i can get to pdx tomorrow. Just read a storm of the century starts Monday. Wish me luck tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your dad, JR! :(

Good luck, and watch out for that "other guy" who gets someone hurt/killed! o_O

You're an old "UP" guy, you can do it. Is there anything I can do for you here in town?

Not sure if it's just me, but it seems like whenever we have snow or ice, everyone and their brother decide to break out their datsun and s-10 pickups. 2 wheel drive of course, with absolutey no weight in the back.

Every time I buy a vehicle I factor in the price of a set of studded snow tires. They don't cost extra over time, since when you are using them your other tires don't get used. I usually get the wheels themselves on Craigslist and usually find them pretty inexpensively. Same for tire pressure sensors if you elect to use them in your snow tires. I also match the tire size between the two sets of tires so the same set of chains fit both.

That said, this is how I drove the six years I lived in snow country:
  1. studded snow tires plus chains at the ready
  2. If a 4WD vehicle run it in that mode
  3. Override an automatic transmission to keep it out of the highest gear
  4. Drive normally, but 5-10 MPH slower than the posted speed.
I never drive the first day of snow and ice if I don't have to. This allows an opportunity for bad drivers and the bald tire crowd to get in accidents so I don't have to worry about them until their cars get back from the shop. In Portland this means they are out of action for the entire snow season. In snow country there were always two waves of them and sometimes a third.

I also have a winter kit I put in my vehicles that has extra clothes (hat,gloves, coat, socks, blanket, food, water) in addition to the gear I usually have at hand year round. Always be prepared to stay the night in your vehicle if you leave urban areas.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top