1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

How to decompose flesh off a deer skull using lime

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by BuckShot1118, Nov 7, 2012.

1. BuckShot1118

BuckShot1118 Scio Or New Member

I got a little fork'n horn this past rifle season an decided it would be a good skull to clean for my first one. I have heard about buring the head in a bag of lime, can any one help me with how about I would do this. I dont really want to boil it.
  2. OregonPlinker

OregonPlinker Creswell, Or Active Member

I would just bury it with no chemicals. I think the lime will eat the bone too? Bury it and the bugs will pick it clean then you can bleach it if you want or leave it natural. My cousin just hangs his on the shed with the tongue hanging out, skin, eyeballs, tag and all. Hangs it how he wants it and eventually the bees and flys pick it clean and it just the skull and horns. The area smells like death for a while though.
  3. TapRackNGo

TapRackNGo PNW Well-Known Member

I have a couple that I boiled and then soaked in a light solution of sodium percarbonate (oxy clean).
  4. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Careful if you boil it. You can over do it and it can fall apart
  5. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I used to bury mine until the ground froze and it broke it into a million pieces....Last few years I have been hoisting them up into a fir tree about 25', wait a month and presto, perfectly clean!