JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, a few weeks ago I sat down and did an nice long run of .223. LC brass, 69gr Sierra Match Kings, and 22.6gr of H335 (lee perfect powder measure on my Pro 1000)

I got to wondering, and to make sure I was not over charging the loads, I sat down last night with my scale and weighed them all.

The lowest total weight was 185.5gr and the highest was 190.5, with most of them being in the 187.3-188gr weight. I know my powder measure is not the most accurate, so I made sure to throw a little low to start with, so I am not worried anymore with over/under charge.

My question is: Could the cases be accounting for most of the differences I'm seeing?

These were not loaded for super accuracy, it was just a run for learning and to get some rounds put back.

The brass is most likely the biggest variable but if you have some bullets left from that batch you used I would weigh some of those to see what part they are playing also.

Never checked myself but I understand that primers can also vary by a grain or two.

I haven't played with H335 but I would suspect you would see a huge difference in the case level of a 223Rem with 5 more grains of powder, heck with even 2 more grains of powder.
Lately in the loadings I've done (308 Win), a 1/2 grain of powder makes a noticeable difference in the case.

I have some Bullets that across 500 pc's varied by 6 grs. Granted these were Coated lead. But even High end match grade bullets can vary in a box. But deadeye is correct the most likely variable is the brass.

wighing loaded bullets won't tell u much ,if anything. Too many variables with the components.Heck,a piece of media or 2 hiding in a case could easily make you go 'WTH??!'. and it would be no problem at all in there,shooting-wise.

I make it a habit to check the weight of the powder thrown by measure every 10 to 20 rounds as I make them. Then I don't have to wonder what I've made.

I did this randomly as well. My guess is that most of the variation is coming from the cases and the fact that the powder measure is not the most accurate thing in the world.

I will definitely load shell by shell for accuracy loads and bypass that part of my system. Particularly for my 308.

I'm pretty sure I'm close enough for standard utility rounds.

Another something to think about is this. As the hopper empties the the weight of the powder pushing down lessens which may change the charge thrown. Keep the hopper full :)

I do! Plus, I took to giving my powder thrower a little tap to make sure it both filled and then emptied. I found I got far more consistent charges that way.

Now I just need to get some more powder and pills to finish off the rest of the brass and primers I have.

If you want to get real crazy you can weigh your trimmed cases (uniform the flash holes too). Batch them by weight. Do the same with your primers and projectiles. hand weigh each powder charge. That will be as close as your rounds will ever get to an average weight. You will find that if you start batching all of your components to try and make consistent ammo; you will have batches of a bunch of different overall weights. Check each batch over your chrono and see if going that route gets you your desired results. Good luck!

I did weigh some as I loaded, and they were close enough to each other to make very little difference. I figured it was mostly brass.

When I checked my 556/223 brass,I was astounded at how close they were in weight.And I bought 3 gallons of it.
This was primmered brass too
If it's plinking ammo,shouldn't matter too much. Probably way with in what factory ammo is,lol

Oh and to answer your question,

VERY!:s0162:

I think you should do some more experimentation and trade me some of your match kings for a different bullet weight, ya know, just to be absolutely sure that it's not the bullet causing the discrepancy ;)

But if you decide against trading bullets, which would be crazy because it is your absolute best option, then I would lean towards the brass being the culprit.

Well, you're question is breaking the threshold of the start of loading "match" ammo. When most of us load match ammo, the first thing we do after we deprime, clean and trim brass is to seperate them by weight. Each time you trim a case you're changing it's weight. Then we weigh the bullets and seperate them as well. So, as my rambling is trying to state, lol, yes, if you don't pay attention to variations then your ammo will have quite a bit of variation of weight between loaded bullets even using all the same brass.

Yeah, and these are just to have, full magazines give me a warm fuzzy. Like I said, for the .308 I'll be ultra neurotic, but I will hunt with that ammo as well.

I'm bringing a box with a smattering of loads to fire next week. Some match, some ballistic tips, and a few factory, just for comparisons sake.

And, I want to pick up a little single stage press, so I can eventually fiddle with rounds at the range. That way I can really be anal about my long range loads.

Well, I think that method is likely the hands down best if you are working up a load. The press, dies in the quick changers, a little pocket scale, and funnel, but yeah, I bet it's a pain. Though, once you have your load worked up you could go home and replicate in quantity.

I agree, and I'm going to have to start doing the same thing soon. When we go shooting I'll be trying out new 308 loads so I'll have 25 rounds of 5 round packs that I'll be trying out. I do have a semi portable Lee ss press with a portable stand that I guess I can haul out there some day, lol,

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top