JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How much would you pay for the absolute best AR-15?

• $750-$999

Votes: 43 21.6%
  • $1000-$1499

Votes: 65 32.7%
  • $1500-$1999

Votes: 45 22.6%
  • $2000-$2499

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • $2500-$3000

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • More than $3000

Votes: 12 6.0%

• Total voters
You guys must not be able to read. The OP didn't ask if there were better guns out there. He asked what you would pay for the best AR. Answer the question, or post elsewhere. Daewoos, etc. He didn't ask that. If you think a different platform is better, post that in your own thread.

Incidentally, the poster I quoted sort of answered the question, but his better guns out there quote annoyed me. C'mon people. Some people like the AR. If you don't, post a different topic to talk about your favorites...

I did answer the question, if you don't like what you're reading (because you paid too much for an AR) then vent somewhere else.

I did answer the question, if you don't like what you're reading (because you paid too much for an AR) then vent somewhere else.

I'm simply saying that people are not so much answering the question in some cases, as they are saying the AR platform is inferior. I just don't understand if people prefer to talk about Daewoos or something, why they don't post elsewhere. This is a thread on what you would pay for the best AR you could buy, not why you dislike the AR...

And, I have not yet begun to vent. And trust me, with some of the internet commandos, I get tempted. And I'm quite happy with what I've paid for all six or seven of the AR's I've owned...

The best AR-15? That's like saying the best Honda Civic....there are better guns out there. I wouldn't pay a dime over $2K

You guys must not be able to read. The OP didn't ask if there were better guns out there. He asked what you would pay for the best AR. Answer the question, or post elsewhere. Daewoos, etc. He didn't ask that. If you think a different platform is better, post that in your own thread.

Incidentally, the poster I quoted sort of answered the question, but his better guns out there quote annoyed me. C'mon people. Some people like the AR. If you don't, post a different topic to talk about your favorites...

The man said he wouldn't pay a "dime over $2k" and then gets attacked for not being able to read and for not answering the question. Then he gets told to post elsewhere.

If he thinks there are better guns out there and therefore he wouldn't pay more than $2k (or implied, he would buy a different gun) I think that's a very direct and informative and specific answer to the question.

He said $2k max.

Why the attack?

I aknowledged that he sort of answered the question. I'm just saying people have a tendency to hijack threads (especially AR threads). They branch off into other topics. I have no problem with people having other opinions. I have no issue with people disliking the AR or liking other platforms like the Daewoo (I'm still looking forward to the ACR, sadly enough). What I'm taking issue with is where they choose to express their views. No where in Taurus617CCW's original post did he ask what platforms we preferred to the AR. He asked how much we would pay for the best. Answer the question and if you want to talk about other platforms, start another thread. I'd be happy to see that thread.

If you want to keep questioning my comments, go ahead, I'm moving on, as now I'm becoming as guilty as the rest of you in hijacking this thread.

Before this topic gets any more out of hand, let me just retract what I stated and rephrase.

First of all, it is YOUR MONEY....if you want to dump $3,000 on a rifle, I could care less. Secondly, who am I to say whose AR-15 is better than another? AR-15s can be used in a multitude of different tasks...

*hunting
*plinking/target shooting
*competition
*self-defense

ARs are great at being the multi-tasker...there are so many different roles that ARs fill, nobody here can say that one is better than another because you never know what task they might be using their's for.

Now, here is where my opinion comes into play...ARs are the best at being able to do multiple tasks, that is it. I believe that my Ruger MK II is a better hunting rifle than my AR-15, and I believe that my Mossberg 500 is better at defense as well. When I buy an AR-15, I buy it for what I want it to do...for the task I want it to fill. Can I say mine is the best? Nope...but I can say that it is the best for me.

Before I give anyone advice on buying a firearm, I always ask them what they want it for and what their budget is. Then I give them a range of pistols I would recommend then advise them to go do some shooting on their own to test out what fits their hand. I honestly leave all personal biasness out of my advice.

I remember a time, MountainBear, when you sat back and reminded us gun owners to stop fighting among ourselves when I started a debate about open carry.

Maybe this is one of those times again? We probably shouldn't even be arguing about this since what is best for someone isn't always going to be considered the best for someone else.

I agree Riot. That's exactly my point. All I'm saying is that the OP did not ask whether the AR was well suited to accomplish certain tasks. Obviously, like any platform, it has its strengths and weaknesses. All I'm saying is that people are getting off point. Too often, people (either purposefully or accidentally) hijack other peoples threads by taking their answers too far. I'm as guilt as anyone (especially in straying on the aforementioned concealed/open carry debate). Just answer the question. The extra information being offered is valuable information, its just best suited for a different thread. Answer the question being asked. Help out the OP, who obviously wants opinions on his questions. If the question evokes further thoughts that you think are worth us knowing, great, tell us. Just start a new thread for the new topic. Everyone's opinions are valid. Right, wrong, or indifferent. Agree or disagree. Just place them in the appropriate venue.

Sorry I'm argumentative tonight. Sometimes I just get blunt.

I agree Riot. That's exactly my point. All I'm saying is that the OP did not ask whether the AR was well suited to accomplish certain tasks. Obviously, like any platform, it has its strengths and weaknesses. All I'm saying is that people are getting off point. Too often, people (either purposefully or accidentally) hijack other peoples threads by taking their answers too far. I'm as guilt as anyone (especially in straying on the aforementioned concealed/open carry debate). Just answer the question. The extra information being offered is valuable information, its just best suited for a different thread. Answer the question being asked. Help out the OP, who obviously wants opinions on his questions. If the question evokes further thoughts that you think are worth us knowing, great, tell us. Just start a new thread for the new topic. Everyone's opinions are valid. Right, wrong, or indifferent. Agree or disagree. Just place them in the appropriate venue.

Well in that case...I wouldn't pay over $2K for an AR-15.

lmfao, hope that got you to smile bro.

I've never seen a better job of hijacking a thread by accusing people of hijacking a thread. I'm not in such a good mood myself tonight.

I wouldn't pay more than $759 for an AR and I'd buy another Del-Ton from Coctailer. Mine works GREAT after 3k rounds as opposed to my POS Colt.

An AR isn't my first choice for a battle (or multi-purpose) rifle and that's the reason I wouldn't go high end. Don't like me tacking on my reason? Only allowing me to state a price and shut up? Tough tooties. :)

$759. :s0155:

I've never seen a better job of hijacking a thread by accusing people of hijacking a thread. I'm not in such a good mood myself tonight.

I wouldn't pay more than $759 for an AR and I'd buy another Del-Ton from Coctailer. Mine works GREAT after 3k rounds as opposed to my POS Colt.

An AR isn't my first choice for a battle (or multi-purpose) rifle and that's the reason I wouldn't go high end. Don't like me tacking on my reason? Only allowing me to state a price and shut up? Tough tooties. :)

$759. :s0155:

Actually, I think that answer was very helpful (minus the first and last lines, of course). Too hard to just say that to begin with? ;) Tough tooties? Really? I like it...

I would only pay more than $2K for a Knights Armament SR-15. Why, well I think it is really cool rifle....lol. That said, I really think $1500 is the top that I would pay for a AR. Once you add in all the dress up goodies & optics, you will be in it well north a $2k.

I need a better higher paying job to support this gun crack habit!

Once you add in all the dress up goodies & optics, you will be in it well north a $2k.

Not many guns come with optics granted, but I don't mind paying slightly north of $2k as long as it already comes with all the goodies. Otherwise, you're right, adding that stuff gets spendy. If a gun didn't come with all that stuff I don't think I'd pay more than $1250 or so. Cause like you, I'm probably going to spend at least $750 to $1000 in parts and pieces...

Is this for the best version of the basic AR rifle/carbine or with accessories and optics? Changing furniture, adding optics and accessories is where the price tag really starts to go up especially if you start buying the top tier stuff.

Quality over Quantity. $2000+. Almost bought a Wilson Combat on here for that. "Settled" for a Daniel Defense with extras for $1100.00 and love it. Needs a Timney, then it is all good.

Everyone's definition of "best" will be different. For me, I look for the same thing in a rifle that I do in a pistol. I want accuracy and reliability, durability, good customer service, a good reputation on their warranty, good craftsmanship, a fair price, and no mim parts. I chose to go with Daniel Defense.

I paid $1346 for my DD v3 mid-length, out the door with tax and everything. But as far as the poll goes I chose $1500-1999 because that's the most I'd pay for an ar15. Luckily I didn't have to pay that much. But I only considered the rifle itself without any of the nick-nacks or doodads.
DSC3775-L.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads