JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planning to buy another set of boots for outdoor use. I will probably use them for slow paced hiking, winter camping, and if I get back into hunting, that too. I remember wearing uninsulated boots for day long horseback rides in low 20's temperatures years ago and wondering if I would get frostbit. That memory makes me think that the more insulation the better and go for 600 grams, even though that would render them too hot for much of the year. I am also considering getting boots with less insulation but sized to allow thick wool socks when the weather dictates.

For those of you who go spend 8+ hours in the mountains in the fall and winter, how much insulation do you prefer and how active are you to generate your own warmth?

I have a couple of pairs of boots with differing amounts of insulation. Sometimes the type of hunting has more to do with which pair I wear. I can easily use lighter weight boots if I am going to spend my time walking compared to sitting on a stand.
My warmer weather boots are USA made Danner Rainforest 8". I believe they have 200 grams. They are waterproof and work very well unless it's really cold and/or I'm going to be sitting all day. I have a lot of miles in these boots and they are comfortable. My only complaint is the weight. I think a lot of it is the Vibram sole. They are kinda clunky.
My cold weather boots are Red Wing Irish Setter 8" with 600 grams. The higher amount of insulation adds to the bulk of the boot and makes it have a larger footprint, but they weigh less than the Danners. These boots are good when the temps drop but are still very comfortable all day.
I need bulky clothing to sit for hours and will start sweating as soon as I get on my feet and start moving when dressed that way. I end up shedding layers and put them in/on my pack. Then my pack weighs a ton...
If I am going to hunt a larger area I prefer to dress on the lighter side and let my body temp decide when to take a break or to get back on the move.

I've been buying different boots over the years and I've realized that waterproof only means waterproof outside of the PNW.

I bought water proof boots last year and first use my feet were soaked. Used waterproofing and it worked for a day.

I'm going with Danners next year and will spend any amount of money to ensure I have feeling in my toes next year.

I own 3 pairs of Kennentrek boots. One pair is 0 insulation. The others have 400.
I've used them in Oregon and Idaho. All I need is 0. And danners for me suck. They really suck all around. We all wanted to support Oregon dancer company for the feel good aspect, but....
I've owned the best danners Made. They suck.
Buy Kennetrek, scheels, or any that style. Yes your Gonna pay $475.000-$600.00
But I have bad feet, and these brands last.
Some pay $4-6,000 for a high end rifle. And then wear hi tech boots.

Basically everybody's feet are different. Your feet also change over the years. Not to be re stating the obvious but the boot that's great for one guy is torture for another. Determine what level of arch support you need and start buying boots from places with a good return policy.

I won't buy boots online, helmets or gloves for that matter, either. Guessing, waiting and then finding out that somethings wrong doesn't appeal to me.

Thanks everyone. The models I'm looking at are the Danner Canadians, Danner Hood Winter Light and Danner Elk Hunters. I wore Danners in the military and they were comfortable and durable for me, so I plan to use them again. Right now they have a 25% discount.

I've been buying different boots over the years and I've realized that waterproof only means waterproof outside of the PNW.

I bought water proof boots last year and first use my feet were soaked. Used waterproofing and it worked for a day.

I'm going with Danners next year and will spend any amount of money to ensure I have feeling in my toes next year.

I was thinking about this thread the other day.
My Danner Rainforest boots have proven waterproof for anything up to quick creek crossings that don't go over their 8" height. At first I was extremely skeptical about that, because it was soo darn cold, but found out I can get away with 3 or 4 steps with each boot without a problem.
I also have a pair of Cabela's Merrell's that say "waterproof" on a little badge and they have lived up to their name. They do not breathe enough for a hot day and don't have insulation so they aren't good for a really cold day, but on a day from the 30's to the 60's that I'm moving, they are perfect. Molded a lot like a leather tennis/basketball shoe, they are a mid high hiking boot. Very comfortable and light. I wore them last weekend out looking for a Christmas tree. It was very wet out and the only moisture that was in my boots wicked in thru my pant legs and socks. I also wore them all week and am going to strap them on right now as I go out looking for a better tree (height estimation by the wife was waaaayyyyy off).

These are waterproof, insulated and built for the PNW.

Men's Bugaboot™ Plus IV Omni-Heat™ Boot

I have last years. They are warm.

I wore them to a camp out on the coast where it rained about 3" that day. I purposefully walked into each puddle I could and not a drop inside as long as the water didn't come above the tongue meeting the top of the boot.

I wore a mountain hardware shell and it was perfect too. All the other waterproofs there among 400 people was simply shot

How much depends on the conditions (temps, whether the boots will be wet, and the activity) and on the person.

I used to have a lot of problems with cold feet. It seemed nothing could keep my feet warm.

The last couple of decades, as long as my feet (and socks) are dry, I am fine - but then I don't ski or snowshoe anymore, and temps where I live don't get much below freezing (when they do, it isn't for very long).

I use to like Merrells, but since they started making them in China I have noticed that they don't last as long, and every "waterproof" boot or shoe I get from them isn't waterproof. I like my Keens - they are waterproof, they fit well, they are warm and they are made here in the USA. I haven't wore my Vasque very much, but if they are like the Sundowners I had in Alaska I think I will like them.

Some decades ago I got some Danners, and they weren't waterproof like advertised, and they were uncomfortable.

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and bought the Danner Canadians during the 25% sale. So far the 600 gram insulation has not been too warm for mixed use, and I believe it will be fine for hiking in temps below 40.

Thanks everyone. The models I'm looking at are the Danner Canadians, Danner Hood Winter Light and Danner Elk Hunters. I wore Danners in the military and they were comfortable and durable for me, so I plan to use them again. Right now they have a 25% discount.
The Made in China Danners (Radical 452) got me some plantar fasciitis.
Resist that lower price point and avoid the Chinese Danners.

How much insul depends on :
Weather
How much your feet sweat
How much you are moving

Pro Tip :
Consider wearing liner socks to reduce friction and wick moisture away
Use proper fitting insoles to support your plantar fascia.
For high arches, I use Powerstep Pinnacle Max (about $35)

6' 150#. I have no insulation, so I require it of my clothing during colder times. My boots are 400 gram Irish Setters. I hate having cold feet. So much I usually pack 2 extra pairs of socks. So I can change them or add more if needed.

O grams insulation but use a sock liner and a merino wool outer sock. Works great, Dont buy Danners, spend some money if you want to be comfortable, I like Kenetrek but there are others that are as good.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top