JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to go every Friday when I belonged to TCGC, now it's more like 1-2 weekends a month. Depends on weather. We usually go through 100-300 rounds.

Summer months we used to do pellet and archery more, lately farm work has kept me busy. (And reloading)

Dry fire practice is a new thing for us in between.

Because of health issues, I haven't fired a shot in three years. But, before that I shot something like once a week or at least, once a month. Some of my shooting depended upon the weather.

The last Sunday of each month we have a club shoot...the average amount of shots is between 20 and 30...which is a lot at one stretch for a muzzleloader....ranges are between 25 and 75 yards.
I try to get out and shoot whenever I can...for me its mostly in the summer , 'cause school is out.

I also try to shoot as much as possible under "field conditions" Ie :
Poor weather and lighting..
Off hand...
When safe to do so , after hiking / scouting an area for game ...
With the same techniques and gear that I will bring when hunting...

Rather than off a bench in idea "range conditions" or just at "bullseye" targets...
This helps immensely when hunting season rolls around.
Andy

This is such an important question. I make it a habit to shoot 2 times a week at the very least; going through anywhere from 200-500 rounds each range visit. During the winter/spring it's more like 4 times a week; wherein I'll burn through an easy 10k rounds plus in 3-4 months.

I usually shoot around 20-30,000 9mm per year in my pistol. Either practice for or an uspsa match. My ARs get about 500-1000 per year. I don't find ARs very challenging or fun. My bolt and 22 see around 100 and 3000 respectively. I really enjoy my 22 rifle. It's stupid accurate, so tiny targets are a hoot to shoot.

I usually shoot around 20-30,000 9mm per year in my pistol. Either practice for or an uspsa match. My ARs get about 500-1000 per year. I don't find ARs very challenging or fun. My bolt and 22 see around 100 and 3000 respectively. I really enjoy my 22 rifle. It's stupid accurate, so tiny targets are a hoot to shoot.
That's a lot of 9mm!:oops:

Used to shoot - and reload - about 12k rounds/year....very little rifle, maybe a few hundred. Also about 3k rimfire.

Due to health issues, for the past few years I have only been shooting about 5k rounds/year.

3-5 days a month with rifles (Mostly at gongs/rocks). Maybe 300 rounds a month. All reloads. Other than trimming brass (RCBS manual trimmer is less fun than being waterboarded), I really enjoy reloading rifle stuff. Takes just enough concentration to keep my mind from wandering. I am a gear nerd, so the attention to detail necessary to make better than factory ammo is fun to me.

Might be a couple rounds of claybirds after work one day a week from August til duck season. All factory ammo on shotgun stuff. Used to load all my shotshells. Lead is cost prohibitive for volume of ammo. Space on loading/work bench is a premium at this point. Can't justify bolting on a couple more Mec progressives for the few rounds a year Just buy whatever cheapie loads are on sale..

Very little handgun shooting. Never fell in love with them like the long guns. All factory ammo. Have a brand new Dillon 550 a friend bought me 25 years ago that has under 1000 rounds loaded on it. Like the Mec progressives, it sits in a box gathering dust.

Will be more paper punching once gun club membership is back up to date.

1-2 times a month when the weather is at least halfway decent. When school is out, I take the grandkids shooting out in the woods at least once a month; otherwise I with go with 1-2 friends. I take along 5-gallon plastic buckets and a collapsible trashcan. If it's too much for my garbage can, I drop the mess into the church dumpster.
Aven & Liam.jpg cleanup mess.jpg Jonas.jpg from Arrowhead pit.jpg Scott & Liam.jpg

Probably 15-20 thousand 22lr in a year. I shoot this the most and absolutely to this day enjoy it.

Maybe 10-20 thousand 9mm a year. More now that I do speed steel at TCGC.

223/556 has backed off a lot over the years. Maybe 5-8 thousand in a year.

Maybe a couple hundred rounds of anything else.

38 special is getting up there more due to owning the 9mm can and the lever gun.

This year has been really slow. I'm probably only 6-8 thousand rounds of 22 shot. Kids in the toddler stage so I don't get out as much.

Back maybe 10 years ago I was almost a 1000 brick of 22 a weekend. Miss those days.

Good question.

Everyone has their objectives, but given my current goal is to maintain my defensive pistols skills...

I do a lot of dry-fire from holster practice. I have a LaserLyte, but sometimes don't even bother setting it up. The Barrel Blok is also handy for doing malfunction/mag change drills. Most of my pistols are DA/SA, so I make sure I practice DA.

Range visits - I try to go once a week (sometimes once every-other is all I can manage with the family) to my local indoor range to keep my defensive pistol skills current. I might load 2 magazines of 6 rounds each for 2 successive 3-round Mozambique drills, quick mag change, repeat. This has been my compromise to allow me to test rapid fire/follow-up, but also keeps me from 'mag-dumping' by putting 15+ in the mag every time and just going crazy (though I've done that too as it can be mighty fun and might be a realistic scenario I'd encounter).

In a given session I go through likely 250-400 rounds in various carry / defensive guns to ensure they're all in working order. That means I sometimes mix calibers (9mm and .40 - sometimes 10mm). Most times I have 50-100 rounds of reloads to test whatever powder/projectile combo I'm experimenting with at the time.

I don't know what an average EDC person does, but I feel it's important and do not always see it mentioned...

I run defensive ammo/HPs out of the gun I currently have on me in and out of the range before I 'call it done'. Though it can get expensive, I ensure I have a box or two of HST's or GD's or whatever I'm carrying in my range bag to replenish mags before leaving the range. If I'm being disciplined, I tend to first fire the existing magazine of HP's in the current carry gun right when I arrive, while cold, and I ensure that first shot is DA (sometimes I'll fire/de-cock several times to ensure I'm practicing DA adequately). No warm-ups in real-life. If I've shot more than 200 rounds out of that same carry gun I am walking out with, I will also usually run the bore snake through the carry gun and fire at least 5 more rounds of HP's in rapid-fire and then topping off the mag before re-holstering and packing up.

(Side note) I do enjoy dabbling in rifle reloading and would like to do it more, given sufficient time, but I am much more in a 'groove' with pistol on my RCBS turret press and my RCBS case-activated powder measure - the only powder measure I currently have that is dead-on even if I've left it idle for weeks. I can easily switch out my 9mm vs. .40/10mm dies as well with the removable turret.

I've been 4 times in the last 10 days. Today was just to sight in my .300BLK pistol but rounds downrange is rounds downrange.

The "real world" ceases to exist when I'm looking through an optic.

Probably 15-20 thousand 22lr in a year. I shoot this the most and absolutely to this day enjoy it.

Maybe 10-20 thousand 9mm a year. More now that I do speed steel at TCGC.

223/556 has backed off a lot over the years. Maybe 5-8 thousand in a year.

Maybe a couple hundred rounds of anything else.

38 special is getting up there more due to owning the 9mm can and the lever gun.

This year has been really slow. I'm probably only 6-8 thousand rounds of 22 shot. Kids in the toddler stage so I don't get out as much.

Back maybe 10 years ago I was almost a 1000 brick of 22 a weekend. Miss those days.
Sounds like fun. :):rolleyes: Shooting time varied in my life due to the age of the kids. My son and I got into Dirt Bikes for many years. Not much shooting in those years. But I have come back to shooting now being
retired.:D

Most say I dont shoot near enough to justify my reloading setup. For me it more about making the most of the small amount of time I have to reload than to shoot. If you don't like the prep I would highly suggest a progressive like the Dillon 650 or even Hornady with a Dillon trimmer. I run my rifle brass through and it's deprimed, sized, trimmed, and deburred. I always keep my brass separate from range pickup so I know what's swaged already.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top