JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally broke down today and submitted my request for permission to exercise my 2nd amendment right to carry a concealed handgun. I won't go into details but 15 years ago when I was 21 I'm afraid I may have engaged in something that may cause me a denial. I can buy a firearm no problem and answer all the questions on the 4473 truthfully so that's not an issue. I answered all questions truthfully on my CHL application as did the two required references. This was an issue that is not longer an issue for me and I did not find it necessary to volunteer any additional information. My question is how in depth do they go when looking at the background of an applicant for a CHL? Do they just look at court records & criminal history? Are there dis qualifiers that aren't asked about on the application? Has anyone ever been denied and been shocked at the reason?

Last Edited:
If you can buy a gun you can get a CHL IMO.

Never heard of anything different.

We all did stupid shot as kids - some just got caught and the rest of us didn't;).

Good luck man:cool:

My understanding is if you can pass the background check to buy a firearm, you will pass the CHL background check. I have a few 'blips' on my record from when I was young, but no convictions.
Good to go with OR CHL. But the ATF did put me through the ringer when applying for title 2 items. Eventually, they approved me, but it took some extended discussion to get things cleared up. And this was with records that were over 40 years old. I learned that the courts kept them on microfilm back then.

If you can buy a gun you can get a CHL IMO
My understanding is if you can pass the background check to buy a firearm, you will pass the CHL background check..

That is my understanding too. I renewed my CHL at the very end of September and read through the form whilst doing so. Almost all of the verbiage is the same as the federal definition of a "prohibited person". There was at least two additional reasons for a denial, but those also require documentation. I don't know what the OP is referring too, but odds are if he can pass a NICS check, he's good to go.

Oregon State Police, (OSP) go ALL the way back. They even had that pesky silly stupid DD overnight stay in the Yosemite National Park pokie from 1969. Accurate. Drunk naked coed midnight June 21th bicycle rides are not recommended. Dumb.

Ahh ... the problem exists that some names are very similar to bad guys and this might result in a delay. Also in my case the august investigator either could not read or did not read the last page. It all turned out OK in the end with no current OSP delays.

You mileage may vary. Not sure if I should add this but be advised it is the concerted professional opinion from various smart folks that the OSP instant background check ain't. It has also been politicized? Search out your own conclusion. Yikes!

Oregon State Police, (OSP) go ALL the way back. They even had that pesky silly stupid DD overnight stay in the Yosemite National Park pokie from 1969. Accurate. Drunk naked coed midnight June 21th bicycle rides are not recommended. Dumb.

Ahh ... the problem exists that some names are very similar to bad guys and this might result in a delay. Also in my case the august investigator either could not read or did not read the last page. It all turned out OK in the end with no current OSP delays.

You mileage may vary. Not sure if I should add this but be advised it is the concerted professional opinion from various smart folks that the OSP instant background check ain't. It has also been politicized? Search out your own conclusion. Yikes!
OSP has nothing to do with issuing CHL's, that is the county's responsibility.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top