JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Sig m11a1 that came in FDE.
I see people saying it's Cerakote but can't find anywhere that definitively says it's cerakote.

Reason I am asking is that it scratches very easy and others with the FDE finish on other models are reporting the same thing. Newer models are now the PVD finish though.

I don't have anything refinished in Cerakote to compare it to.
I am wanting to get one of my AR's done in Cerakote, but don't want to spend the time and money if it's just going to look like crap after normal handling.

I've had a Nighthawk, a EMP (SA), and two Kimbers finished in Cerakote. I loved the S&W Model 27 and Python deep, polished blue. Cerakote is now available in a black gloss that looks like black chrome. Both my duty 45 and EDC 9 have been carried under all conditions and I am never without one or the other. I have never had the slightest bit of holster wear and can use any solvent or cleaner without concern. It is so slick that little, if any lubrication is needed...easy to clean, durable, and beautiful. Pick your applicator carefully. Legendary Coatings (Jesse) does all mine. He does all of Noveske's rifles as well. Outstanding quality at a very reasonable price!

Applied correctly, Cerakote is tough as nails. I was impressed with the art the Cerakote guy at Threat Dynamics/Sherwood could do (technically a different company I guess, same owner, but I forget the name). I didn't realize just how detailed and involved the designs could be.

From what I have read about cerakote, it only becomes 'tough as nails' when it is hard. It can be hardened in the oven or it will harden all by itself, however I understand it takes quite a long time to become hard without a good oven baking

its pretty durable. that being said, when i see a cerakoted AR15 that is now all haggard and scratched up, its a beautiful thing.

gun gets used as it should :D

I did get a reply from Sig that it is Cerakote.
It may fare better on a rifle than a pistol.
It didn't take long to wear through to the stainless on the slide and the anodizing on the frame using a kydex holster.

I have another slide that I use that is Nitron coated and it wears much better IMO.
The finish on my 33 year old p220 that was carried in a kydex holster for years still looks great.

I was looking into Cerakote for my SR-762 mainly due to not being able to just pop the handguard off to wipe the barrel down.
Cerakote would take care of that and can be something other than black.

I suppose for a rifle application it would hold up better. I won't be running it in and out of a holster a couple times a day, just safe bumps from not enough room anymore.
And it's not like I'm going to pack that 14lb hog around enough to munge it up anyway.
Unlike the homebrew AR I put together that gets tossed around a bit more and will probably end up just getting hosed down with Krylon.

My only cerakote item is a factory Glock 20 and it's finish is more worn than my regular Glock 33 I EDC. Personally, I think there are better, more durable finishes but the color/design options are nice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top