JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have made friends on forums and traded al sorts of stuff including information. I have been invited to hunt with a guy in NM and met a guy last week in WY that invited me hunting. I was in Cheyene visiting my son and he knew I was in town so we met for a cup of coffee. There are many fine folks out there that will help you out. It takes time and humility. I would also suggest you keep your political views to yourself. Ken

Just pay the extra . its better hunting on the other side of the river because its better managed

Yeah but i'm cheap enough that i'm ok with throwing $25-40 away on tags, but $500 when the overwhelming odds are that i won't get bubblegum. No thanks. I'd rather spend the $500 on a new gun.

I'm newish to shooting, and I would really like to go hunting (for just about anything I can eat). It always seems that the best advice I read on this forum and others is accompanied by the suggestion to go out with a partner who knows what they're doing. That sounds great, but how the heck do I find one?

I grew up in a conservative home, but there was no shooting or hunting. I grew into a liberal man and live in SW Portland - and I haven't met any hunters. I know plenty of liberals that are in the same boat. None of us have the money or can get wife approval for a thousand (or several) dollar guided trip to help us figure out what we're doing, and the only hunters we know are grandparents (the few that have them left), and none of them are really up to hunting or even talking about it for more than five minutes.

So, two issues here...
#1 Politics are getting in the way of bringing lefties into shooting sports. I've never taken a liberal shooting that didn't change their mind about guns and gun owners, but I'm only one person.

#2 How do I find a hunting mentor?
I really want to hunt duck, deer, goose, rabbit, or any upland bird - but if you've got a line on something else, that's fine too. I've mentioned politics a few times in this thread, but if you want to hunt with me I would be absolutely thrilled to call politics off limits for conversation. Who needs all the jibber jabber anyway?

(I'll post this now, but I'll be off shooting for a few hours and won't be able to respond until I'm back)

i decided to save my money and pay a guide to show me the ropes, i saved thousands, learned about the wind how the moon effects the yote and how to set up. plus i got to shoot a bunch of coyotes pm me for info

Yeah but i'm cheap enough that i'm ok with throwing $25-40 away on tags, but $500 when the overwhelming odds are that i won't get bubblegum. No thanks. I'd rather spend the $500 on a new gun.

Yeh man i was just being sarcastic there is no way i would ever pay that much to hunt especially pay one of those bubble gum fee hunts on private land which will eventually bring a end to hunting as a sport as well a turn many off from hunting .

Odf screwed up one year by issuing too many eastern doe tags followed by a rough winter screwing up the mule deer population thus creating a opening for these pay to hunt operations.

I have learned a little bit from family and friends, but I have learned a lot by myself in the woods. This will be my 3rd or 4th year hunting and I am hoping to actually bag something this year. So far I have been able to see some really cool things (like the sunrise over sisters on a clear day when i was 2500ft up in the coast range, or having deer 20ft away just walking on by, or having a coyote get with in spitting distance and not even noticing me). But really if nothing else I get to enjoy being out in the woods breathing clean air and learning something new.

One thing I will say, is have your s#!t dialed. First year I was out hunting, I had a perfect side shot on a smallish buck. But I blew it as I took off the scope (which was sighted in) to run irons for quicker shots in the tight brush where I was. Thought the sights where dialed in, but alas they were not. I got one shot off and the deer looked puzzled then trotted off. Got another shot off and he ran away. But after and hr of looking for the dead deer I found a nice crater in the tree that was 2ft behind the buck's tail :angry: .
Morale of the story: don't mess with a good thing and make sure your equipment works, works well, and is in good shape.

I will also note, that if you and your friends are new to shooting that is kind of a "proceed with caution" sort of thing with most folks. I for one would only want to take 1 noob out hunting if it were me. I am not a fan of being muzzle swept or lord knows what else when someone is not very adept and consistent with their gun handling skills. Especially if its someone who is a stranger or a friend of a friend. There is too much unknown in there for me to be comfortable.

I have learned a little bit from family and friends, but I have learned a lot by myself in the woods. This will be my 3rd or 4th year hunting and I am hoping to actually bag something this year. So far I have been able to see some really cool things (like the sunrise over sisters on a clear day when i was 2500ft up in the coast range, or having deer 20ft away just walking on by, or having a coyote get with in spitting distance and not even noticing me). But really if nothing else I get to enjoy being out in the woods breathing clean air and learning something new.

One thing I will say, is have your s#!t dialed. First year I was out hunting, I had a perfect side shot on a smallish buck. But I blew it as I took off the scope (which was sighted in) to run irons for quicker shots in the tight brush where I was. Thought the sights where dialed in, but alas they were not. I got one shot off and the deer looked puzzled then trotted off. Got another shot off and he ran away. But after and hr of looking for the dead deer I found a nice crater in the tree that was 2ft behind the buck's tail :angry: .
Morale of the story: don't mess with a good thing and make sure your equipment works, works well, and is in good shape.

I will also note, that if you and your friends are new to shooting that is kind of a "proceed with caution" sort of thing with most folks. I for one would only want to take 1 noob out hunting if it were me. I am not a fan of being muzzle swept or lord knows what else when someone is not very adept and consistent with their gun handling skills. Especially if its someone who is a stranger or a friend of a friend. There is too much unknown in there for me to be comfortable.

Good point on your equipment......don't forget to always have your scope set on the lowest power magnification. Nothing like blowing an opportunity jacking with your scope to get on target :eek:.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews