JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I searched "barrel down" and "upside down" and didn't find any info on this topic. While most modern O/U and SxS shotguns are designed to have more wood in the bearing surface area where the stock meets the receiver, IMHO there is still some concern for lubricants, especially light oils, to seep down from the action onto this area and over time, degrade the wood. There are certainly a lot of old L.C. Smiths, Fox and Parkers that have experienced ruined stocks due to "gravity".

I personally store all of my shotguns "barrel down" in my safe. That way, any lubricants that seep down have to go aways to reach the forearm! Just curious as to others' thoughts on this topic?
Why would you have lube seeping anywhere? Putting that much lube just attracts contaminants. Personally I use dry lubes that leave a thin dry film which resists rust and fingerprints and attracts nothing to the metal.

Re. the question raised, I've read about it before here and there. Not just shotguns, but also rifles with wooden stocks. I've owned old military Mauser rifles that had a lot of oil penetration into the stock area aft of the action. Never had one that failed. Old doubles may be more at hazard, simply because the buttstock is isolated as a unit, without any reinforcing effect like typical rifle stocks have. BUT (Butt?): I also think that old doubles are a lot less likely to get oiled up much by owners, who tend to clean barrels and leave the mostly enclosed action alone. I no longer own any doubles, but I have a number of single shots. It's just not necessary to get into cleaning the interior of the action, as it's relatively isolated from the effects of combustion. There's really no reason to shoot a bunch of oil or anything aerosol into it. Maybe if you were using it out in the rain, the temptation would be to shoot some WD-40 in there; in which case you'd want to store it muzzle down until drainage ceased.

I also think there is a time element involved in this issue. Said another way, it may take many years for damage from oil penetrating into wood to manifest itself in the way of some kind of failure. Many years after you are dead and gone. Especially a hardwood.

I think old doubles are way more apt to get cracks at the wrist from mishandling. Like from falls. Because that is the weak point where action and stock are connected. Ditto rifles with two piece stocks, example Remington pump rifles, autos.

maximize storage efficiency in my safe.
Yes, storing muzzle down sometimes comes about from necessity.

Re. the question raised, I've read about it before here and there. Not just shotguns, but also rifles with wooden stocks. I've owned old military Mauser rifles that had a lot of oil penetration into the stock area aft of the action. Never had one that failed. Old doubles may be more at hazard, simply because the buttstock is isolated as a unit, without any reinforcing effect like typical rifle stocks have. BUT (Butt?): I also think that old doubles are a lot less likely to get oiled up much by owners, who tend to clean barrels and leave the mostly enclosed action alone. I no longer own any doubles, but I have a number of single shots. It's just not necessary to get into cleaning the interior of the action, as it's relatively isolated from the effects of combustion. There's really no reason to shoot a bunch of oil or anything aerosol into it. Maybe if you were using it out in the rain, the temptation would be to shoot some WD-40 in there; in which case you'd want to store it muzzle down until drainage ceased.

I also think there is a time element involved in this issue. Said another way, it may take many years for damage from oil penetrating into wood to manifest itself in the way of some kind of failure. Many years after you are dead and gone. Especially a hardwood.

I think old doubles are way more apt to get cracks at the wrist from mishandling. Like from falls. Because that is the weak point where action and stock are connected. Ditto rifles with two piece stocks, example Remington pump rifles, autos.

Yes, storing muzzle down sometimes comes about from necessity.
Definitely. Using too much oil is silly Imo. Here's my 1913 SxS shotgun. Thank goodness previous owners treated it properly and didn't put too much oil on it.

I have found storing ARs with WD40 tends to make the action sticky, so now I clean with spray brake cleaner and lube with silicone spray. :)
Except, the .22lr adaptor in my AR likes to run wet. A few drops of ATF help it along and helps keep the carbon soft. :cool:

I have found storing ARs with WD40 tends to make the action sticky, so now I clean with spray brake cleaner and lube with silicone spray. :)
Except, the .22lr adaptor in my AR likes to run wet. A few drops of ATF help it along and helps keep the carbon soft.
Yes, WD-40 isn't the best thing for firearms. But when metals get wet, it's good for driving out the moisture (WD = Water Displacing). I've used it to hose out old distributor caps that had so much condensation in them that the engine wouldn't fire. It chases the water out, the ignition system will then function, even though it looks all wet from the WD-40.

Automatic Transmission Fluid
Highly detergent, most formulations that are in use in vehicles contain a lot of additives that inhibit carbon and sludge. Good for guns, I'd think yet I've never used it for that purpose. Over the years, I've accumulated a lot of various odd-ball ATF. I no longer spend money on regular chain saw bar oil. I use new ATF that I don't have vehicles for anymore. Yes, it goes through a lot faster than bar oil but boy does it keep the works clean. I've used up odd-ball engine oil this same way, but I much prefer ATF.

In AR's, I use US Army LSA lubricant that they came out with in the 1970's expressly for the M16 Rifle. I bought a quart of it somewhere years ago, and it's lasting a long time. My AR's are pretty wet; I find that carbon build-up from shooting is greatly reduced.

Yes, WD-40 isn't the best thing for firearms. But when metals get wet, it's good for driving out the moisture (WD = Water Displacing). I've used it to hose out old distributor caps that had so much condensation in them that the engine wouldn't fire. It chases the water out, the ignition system will then function, even though it looks all wet from the WD-40.

Highly detergent, most formulations that are in use in vehicles contain a lot of additives that inhibit carbon and sludge. Good for guns, I'd think yet I've never used it for that purpose. Over the years, I've accumulated a lot of various odd-ball ATF. I no longer spend money on regular chain saw bar oil. I use new ATF that I don't have vehicles for anymore. Yes, it goes through a lot faster than bar oil but boy does it keep the works clean. I've used up odd-ball engine oil this same way, but I much prefer ATF.

In AR's, I use US Army LSA lubricant that they came out with in the 1970's expressly for the M16 Rifle. I bought a quart of it somewhere years ago, and it's lasting a long time. My AR's are pretty wet; I find that carbon build-up from shooting is greatly reduced.
I use spare ATF to make Ed's Red bore cleaner. Thank you for reminding me that I need to make another batch.
My waste oil from oil changes is what I use for bar oil.

Except, the .22lr adaptor in my AR likes to run wet. A few drops of ATF help it along and helps keep the carbon soft. :cool:
WD40 is probably not the hands down worst choice for gun lube but, it has to be top of the list. Stuff was never really made to be used the way many use it. I do keep the stuff around and it has its uses. Gun oil is NOT one of them.

Barrel horizontal, as in mounted over my bed headboard. :D

1000002891.jpg

I store it loaded, with the barrel facing me on the washing machine. Getting shot in the head prevents over thinking.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top