JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I searched "barrel down" and "upside down" and didn't find any info on this topic. While most modern O/U and SxS shotguns are designed to have more wood in the bearing surface area where the stock meets the receiver, IMHO there is still some concern for lubricants, especially light oils, to seep down from the action onto this area and over time, degrade the wood. There are certainly a lot of old L.C. Smiths, Fox and Parkers that have experienced ruined stocks due to "gravity".

I personally store all of my shotguns "barrel down" in my safe. That way, any lubricants that seep down have to go aways to reach the forearm! Just curious as to others' thoughts on this topic?

Interesting.
I have a 55 y.o. O/U and a 75 y.o. SxS, both stored barrel up by me for all the years I've owned them, likely the same by their prior owners, and I've never seen any oil degradation of the stocks.
But, I only put a very thin film of grease on the knuckle. Edit to add, I'll have to check....
My ARs, OTOH, are sloppy wet with earl, and Ill wipe them down when pulling from the safe.

Always up or however it lands if I have to dump it. Many guns use an oil finish on the wood. Most of the oil damage I've seen on wood stocks has been caused by hand oil.

Barrel up. The bedside one I keep clean but put either a condom or just plastic wrap/rubber band on it to keep general dust out.

My house is on a slab so muzzle down would cause the shottie to fly upwards should go off. Muzzle up not so much

The vast majority store rifles and shotguns with the muzzle up, action down. This is done for convenience.

Those that do the opposite have zero chance of fouling from lube, solvent, debris, etc. getting into the action from the barrel during storage. This is also done for convenience . . . go figure.

Because I am so protective of any guns muzzle and crown, with few exceptions, my barrels are stored up. The exceptions are rifles with a muzzle device. I sometimes store them down, as it helps maximize storage efficiency in my safe.

I personally store all of my shotguns "barrel down" in my safe. That way, any lubricants that seep down have to go aways to reach the forearm! Just curious as to others' thoughts on this topic?
After Im done lubricating any guns I wipe off any excess oil.
Ive never heard of this dilemma.

Barrel up, always have and always will. Never had any degradation. I think my problem is way more to do with them getting marks from bumping each other. I am careful, but the safe is stuffed so it gets tricky. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top