JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you pattern your shotguns?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Most of the time.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Only hunting shotguns.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Only home defense shotguns.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Don't really do shotguns, so I guess no.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Um, eh (bromp!) Duh only patt'rn on ma shotty is rust ones.

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
Other than barrel length…. How different can it be? I guess the choke can change it….. that said I'm not familiar with them at all.
Enormous.

Two different areas for me, field/sporting guns and defensive guns. As @esbshaw noted, when you are shooting games like Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays, you need to know where your patterns are going with your particular loads. My trap gun is very different from my field gun.

For defensive shotguns we need to understand barrel / ammunition (buckshot) combinations are like snowflakes, no two are alike. You can have an 18" cylinder choke Remington 870 barrel shoot one load like crap and another barrel of the same configuration will shoot a tight group. Some ammo likes some chokes better. If you look at the fifth photo down in this article, you can see the difference in groups and points of impact from 00 buck even at close distances (the head shots). I have students bring the defensive ammo they are planning to use at home and in the class we pattern at typical home defense distances so they can see both pattern and point of impact. Good question you have.

Enormous.

Two different areas for me, field/sporting guns and defensive guns. As @esbshaw noted, when you are shooting games like Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays, you need to know where your patterns are going with your particular loads. My trap gun is very different from my field gun.

For defensive shotguns we need to understand barrel / ammunition (buckshot) combinations are like snowflakes, no two are alike. You can have an 18" cylinder choke Remington 870 barrel shoot one load like crap and another barrel of the same configuration will shoot a tight group. Some ammo likes some chokes better. If you look at the fifth photo down in this article, you can see the difference in groups and points of impact from 00 buck even at close distances (the head shots). I have students bring the defensive ammo they are planning to use at home and in the class we pattern at typical home defense distances so they can see both pattern and point of impact. Good question you have.
I think i may be more interested if i had a decent place to shoot shotties. I'm not a fan of driving so these mining pits around the woods aren't to appealing. Seems like you (I) have to drive further and further out these days

Local to me ranges have many shot restrictions

The thread title kind of says it. Do you pattern your shotguns?
Yep but only informally. Nice to know how large of a hole it will leave on the target at different ranges.

:p

Clint smith visual aid 1" per yard general guideline

AC3C4BB6-6E04-4AD3-AF59-9B61999FB25D.jpeg

Recommended method to test pattern of AK shotguns: (j/k)

Last Edited:
When I was considering starting chasing turkeys I took my pump and auto to a range and ran a number of loads thorough them stop see which did the best. Otherwise, I just use results to know how well a load works.

But ya gota be able to hit 'em in the neck, or head to put 'em down. Those buggers are wearing body armor. I've had 'em go down from a body shot at 15 yards, then bounce up like a rubber ball and leave me standing there with a silly look on my face. :eek:

I needed a longer barrel on my Mod. 12 Winchester Marine Riot Gun for Turkey hunting, so I found one on E-Bay. When I checked the pattern I found it was 6" high and 6" to the left of P.O.A. with shot as well as slugs. :)

What really surprised me was when I checked the pattern out of my MKA 1919 with the full choked 18 1/2" barrel. At 25 yards all of the pellets were inside of a 30" ring
This is the shot and slug pattern at 35 yards with the, (E-Bay) 32" barrel on my Winchester Riot Gun. OK for a bead sight. I just have to remember which way to lead them. :rolleyes:

Shot Target-2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR