JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll add my $.02 because I have a lot of experience in this...

1) Get good quality gas cans. I realize good quality gas cans are expensive, and since WA is a CARB state, you're kinda screwed. There are a few companies out there selling CARB compliant versions of the NATO jerry cans. These cans are expensive $80-100 each but will literally last a lifetime and not leak provided you don't rust them out, or smash them.

https://www.amazon.com/Wavian-USA-JC0020BVS-Authentic-System/dp/B00XB2XUL0

2) Never buy plastic gas cans, these are fine for your lawnmower, or small engine use or temporary storage, these are not adequate for long term storage of gasoline under any circumstances. Gasoline contains a number of volatile and not so volatile fractions, including butane and other hydrocarbons that are kept in solution in the gas. This means that in order to store gasoline long term it must be stored under slight pressure and insulated from heat. Blow-formed plastic gas cans are neither strong enough to provide counter pressure, nor are they leak proof enough to prevent it from happening.

In general, a 5 gal gas can is about as convenient to use as a 10-15gal drum, 15gal UN Rated drums are often available in very good condition second hand from places that use essential oils. Gasoline is ~6lbs per gallon, and the container weight on a 20L gerry can is about 35-40lbs, even if you're strong it's not easy to pour the contents out, and it's even more difficult to get it into a fuel filling nozzle. For this reason I recommend using Super Siphons for filling vehicles, and only add fuel when you know there's space to do so. I do have quite a few jerry cans (I bought a bunch from cheaper than dirt, back when they were cheap, and CARB hadn't caught on) I still use them occasionally for fuel storage, however for the most part I've moved over to using 10gal essential oil drums, and an electric pump. These are easy to move with a hand truck, and you can easily move them 2 at a time, and going from my flammable storage area onto a hand truck is a lift of a few feet. Rolling the truck up, sticking the hose in, and letting the battery pump the drum dry is way easier than managing gas cans.

Also, another thing, when you're dealing with the lever-lock style cans, if they've been sitting in the sun, the gasoline can flash boil when the can is open and literally vomit gallons of boiling fuel out of the cans. The drums are a bit better in this regard as the first 1/4 turn breaks the seal, and it's easy enough to reverse the direction.

I don't know what it is but you can get a bottle of water open it and close it turn it upside down and it doesn't leak .but get a gas can .do the same thing it leaks every time

$40 for US flip open cap jerry cans at Action Surplus... or $80 for NATO flip open jerry cans of the exact same look.... hmm. I dunno. Recently lost employment so its out of budget for the month, unless someone wanna buy my enormous camo duffle bags ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top