HOW do I stop my gas cans caps from leaking?!

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by CamoDeafie, Jul 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. CamoDeafie

CamoDeafie
    Albany

My family have 2 5 gallon Blitz cans, one is a metal jerry can, but with plastic cap and yellow vent, and the other is a slightly newer plastic jerry can, also plastic cap and yellow vent.... Their bodies does not leak, but only the caps if I tilt it slightly. HOW do I stop them from leaking? I see that there are gaskets for the much older metal cans with metal caps (mil surp). As they use the newer plastic caps with built in collapsible spouts...and being relatively old... its frustrating to me to have to put them vertically inside my vehicle :mad: (at least until I get an external jerry can rack)

2. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Hit an auto parts store and get a gasket rated for fuel and cut it to fit the inside of the cap.

They should have something laying around for cheap.

3. CamoDeafie

CamoDeafie
    Albany

No one had anything like you described locally. So on a whim... I cut up a couple pieces of bike inner tube into wide rubber bands and tried it.. it works!

Blitz 5 gallon jerry can, may be dated 5-90 (1990), may be military(USMC) marked. Paid $5 for the can :D Mounted to kia's roof rack with USGI cargo strap 20180711_120357.jpg 20180711_120427.jpg 20180711_120452.jpg

SlimPickins, Certaindeaf and Joe13 like this.
  4. Joe13

Joe13
    NW of Vancouver
    Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

That's redneck enough for me son;):cool::D

5. ob1

ob1
    46th parallel
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've had brand new, plastic 5 gal caps leak on the first use. Don't get me started on those current eco-spouts. :mad::mad:

SlimPickins, sigmadog, Joe13 and 2 others like this.
  6. HB of CJ

HB of CJ
    42.17N -123.64W ?

Make sure the inner tube rubber does not react with the gas over time. Dissolves. Rubber particles might end up inside your fuel filters Gasoline is difficult to contain. It has a bad habit of expanding and contracting with wide temperature swings. The fumes under certain exact conditions can be very dangerous. BOOM!

7. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....
    Kokanee Slayer Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

I know what you mean, ole Caveman scouts garage sales for the old time gas cans with the good spouts. Can buy new old school spouts too....:D

https://www.google.com/search?q=gas...uyfM:&scso=uid_rYZGW-bhL6Ov0PEPw9OA-Ak_3:1301

You can also get the yellow vents to customize the new plastic cans. :cool:

Joe13 likes this.
  8. Stomper

Stomper
    Shut Your Face!!
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

BTW- Jerry cans really are meant to be stored upright. ;)

9. CamoDeafie

CamoDeafie
    Albany

Yeah well, a hilariously bad thing happened today while I was at Worksource Oregon in Dallas filling put paperwork and doing 1 on 1 meeting... Since the parking lot was on a slope, and I parked facing downhill....in the sun..... boom cap popped open and poured at least a gall of gas before we got it taken care of, and put the can vertically in the passenger rear compartment. Its now residing at my parents in their garage until I can source a cheap vertical jerry can bracket locally, to mount next to my spare tire

Caveman Jim, Joe13 and Certaindeaf like this.
  10. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

The gall!

Joe13, crossbow5 and CamoDeafie like this.
  11. SlimPickins

SlimPickins
    N. Portland

I’ve had as similar issues, as a quick on the fly fix I used some heavy duty plastic bag/tarp cut it a bit bigger than the opening and used some rubber bands to make it tight. No more leaks, nothing permanent but it worked when I needed it.

Caveman Jim, Joe13 and CamoDeafie like this.
  12. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

You know if you ever hole (gotta be a pretty small breach) in your steel gas tank (automobile/whatever) rub a bar a soap on the pissing byatch.
    it works well enough to remember

13. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Buy quality cans:

2ewcqae.jpg