JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My family have 2 5 gallon Blitz cans, one is a metal jerry can, but with plastic cap and yellow vent, and the other is a slightly newer plastic jerry can, also plastic cap and yellow vent.... Their bodies does not leak, but only the caps if I tilt it slightly. HOW do I stop them from leaking? I see that there are gaskets for the much older metal cans with metal caps (mil surp). As they use the newer plastic caps with built in collapsible spouts...and being relatively old... its frustrating to me to have to put them vertically inside my vehicle :mad: (at least until I get an external jerry can rack)

No one had anything like you described locally. So on a whim... I cut up a couple pieces of bike inner tube into wide rubber bands and tried it.. it works!

Blitz 5 gallon jerry can, may be dated 5-90 (1990), may be military(USMC) marked. Paid $5 for the can :D Mounted to kia's roof rack with USGI cargo strap 20180711_120357.jpg 20180711_120427.jpg 20180711_120452.jpg

Make sure the inner tube rubber does not react with the gas over time. Dissolves. Rubber particles might end up inside your fuel filters Gasoline is difficult to contain. It has a bad habit of expanding and contracting with wide temperature swings. The fumes under certain exact conditions can be very dangerous. BOOM!

Yeah well, a hilariously bad thing happened today while I was at Worksource Oregon in Dallas filling put paperwork and doing 1 on 1 meeting... Since the parking lot was on a slope, and I parked facing downhill....in the sun..... boom cap popped open and poured at least a gall of gas before we got it taken care of, and put the can vertically in the passenger rear compartment. Its now residing at my parents in their garage until I can source a cheap vertical jerry can bracket locally, to mount next to my spare tire

Yeah well, a hilariously bad thing happened today while I was at Worksource Oregon in Dallas filling put paperwork and doing 1 on 1 meeting... Since the parking lot was on a slope, and I parked facing downhill....in the sun..... boom cap popped open and poured at least a gall of gas before we got it taken care of, and put the can vertically in the passenger rear compartment. Its now residing at my parents in their garage until I can source a cheap vertical jerry can bracket locally, to mount next to my spare tire
The gall!

I've had as similar issues, as a quick on the fly fix I used some heavy duty plastic bag/tarp cut it a bit bigger than the opening and used some rubber bands to make it tight. No more leaks, nothing permanent but it worked when I needed it.

You know if you ever hole (gotta be a pretty small breach) in your steel gas tank (automobile/whatever) rub a bar a soap on the pissing byatch.
it works well enough to remember

This^^^

I recently replaced my old plastic cans with 3 Justrite safety cans made in the USA and couldn't be happier. It cost me about $160, but since I have nowhere but my garage to store them the quality safety cans are worth the peace of mind

Gasoline is one of the most volatile and dangerous things around the home. Carrying gasoline cans horizontally on a Suburu roof-rack, well, I guess you do what you have to do.

Those cans were never intended to be stored or transported on their sides, only upright. Gasoline has a way of finding the very smallest breach and will get out. Oh, and common rubber like from an inner tube will deteriorate over time. Typically it will swell and lose the seal. Don't ask how I know about it; McGyver didn't think of this one.

In my view, the plastic containers commonly sold weren't made for long-term use. Metal is the way to go. Even GI gas cans can seep around the rolled edges on the bottom, I've seen it.

I'll say one thing about storing gasoline, it lasts longer these days than formerly. It used to have a definite shelf life before it destabilized and went bad. Today, the refiners add different stabilizers which make it last longer in storage.

Storing gasoline for SHTF purposes, I've come to the conclusion that most people can't store enough to make much of a difference. To make a significant difference for long-term survivalist purposes, you'd need an underground storage tank. As a practical matter, Joe Paycheck could store, say, about 20 gallons in four cans, enough to make a getaway. If he could make it through the massive traffic jam. Then he'd be in the boondocks without any more gasoline.

One time decades ago, I was looking at property to buy. One had an underground gasoline tank out back, I thought that was neat. Now, it would be a homeowner nightmare; some environmental agency would come sniffing around, wanting you to prove it wasn't leaking into the soil and causing contamination. Where's your permit, drill inspection wells, etc.

I'm old enough to remember when people used to wash their hands in gasoline to remove grease. Or wash down auto shop floors to clean them up. Recently, I saw a can of US Army paint (intended for painting GI ammo boxes), the label clearly said it was "Gasoline Soluble" which means it was intended to be thinned with gasoline.

Every once in a while, I see one of those gasoline tanker trucks with trailer making a drop at Fred Meyer (or similar) fuel station. I've had the thought, "Gee, that would be great to park on your property and just draw down from that every time you need to fill up." And it made me wonder, "Do hi-jackers ever make off with tanker loads of gasoline? It would be a valuable cargo." Like cigarettes, you hear about truck loads of smokes, or say, electronics, getting hi-jacked back on the east coast. Well, I decided to ask someone about that. I was told all of the gasoline tankers have GPS devices on them that are monitored while they are rolling. Their routes are pre-determined; if the truck deviates from the route by more than a mile or two, someone goes out to check on it. Or something like that.

I have a 55 gallon drum of 'premium' in my shop and I put some PRI-G in it. I have a rotary hand pump to use with it and it is on a rolling platform. I also have a lift attachment to lift it when full onto a truck. The fuel cans are for fueling various small equipment and/or a vehicle.

Last week I filled one of the cans with diesel at Costco and stored it in the back of my SUV sitting there all day while I was at work - when I got in the car to drive home after 9 hours, I could not smell a hint of diesel. Try that with a cheap fuel can.

I have a 275 gallon diesel tank, but I have not filled it yet. When I retire and rebuild, then I will fill it with diesel - I don't want to have to move it when full

In a SHTF situation I am going to get home, fill all vehicle tanks, and then sit pat hoping I don't need to go anywhere for a while. I am thinking about putting a Cummins 2.8L repower diesel in my Toyota so both my trucks would then be diesel. Depends on how much money I have left after I sell, buy new land and rebuild.

Gasoline is one of the most volatile and dangerous things around the home. Carrying gasoline cans horizontally on a Suburu roof-rack, well, I guess you do what you have to do.

Those cans were never intended to be stored or transported on their sides, only upright. Gasoline has a way of finding the very smallest breach and will get out. Oh, and common rubber like from an inner tube will deteriorate over time. Typically it will swell and lose the seal. Don't ask how I know about it; McGyver didn't think of this one.

In my view, the plastic containers commonly sold weren't made for long-term use. Metal is the way to go. Even GI gas cans can seep around the rolled edges on the bottom, I've seen it.

I'll say one thing about storing gasoline, it lasts longer these days than formerly. It used to have a definite shelf life before it destabilized and went bad. Today, the refiners add different stabilizers which make it last longer in storage.

Storing gasoline for SHTF purposes, I've come to the conclusion that most people can't store enough to make much of a difference. To make a significant difference for long-term survivalist purposes, you'd need an underground storage tank. As a practical matter, Joe Paycheck could store, say, about 20 gallons in four cans, enough to make a getaway. If he could make it through the massive traffic jam. Then he'd be in the boondocks without any more gasoline.

One time decades ago, I was looking at property to buy. One had an underground gasoline tank out back, I thought that was neat. Now, it would be a homeowner nightmare; some environmental agency would come sniffing around, wanting you to prove it wasn't leaking into the soil and causing contamination. Where's your permit, drill inspection wells, etc.

I'm old enough to remember when people used to wash their hands in gasoline to remove grease. Or wash down auto shop floors to clean them up. Recently, I saw a can of US Army paint (intended for painting GI ammo boxes), the label clearly said it was "Gasoline Soluble" which means it was intended to be thinned with gasoline.

Every once in a while, I see one of those gasoline tanker trucks with trailer making a drop at Fred Meyer (or similar) fuel station. I've had the thought, "Gee, that would be great to park on your property and just draw down from that every time you need to fill up." And it made me wonder, "Do hi-jackers ever make off with tanker loads of gasoline? It would be a valuable cargo." Like cigarettes, you hear about truck loads of smokes, or say, electronics, getting hi-jacked back on the east coast. Well, I decided to ask someone about that. I was told all of the gasoline tankers have GPS devices on them that are monitored while they are rolling. Their routes are pre-determined; if the truck deviates from the route by more than a mile or two, someone goes out to check on it. Or something like that.
Every time (well, not really) I see a tanker I think of the Moraga, CA tunnel fire.. like a rifle barrel.

The family's plastic gas cans have been around for over 20 years... mostly empty though. The metal can I picked up... well. I have not been able to find any online picture of the exact same cap setup or the yellow vent thing on a metal can. It does not thread the same as the older steel jerry can caps does. It has male threads sticking up, whereas the old cans had female threaded holes. The closest I can see are the current polymer based USGI/NATO cans but I don't think they're the same at all? Threads are totally different from any of the currently available caps, and yes I am aware that the rubber inner tube thing is temporary at best. At least until. I can get an actual vertical jerry can braket for cheap... I am a cheapskate. I would be so much more heartbroken if someone had stolen a high quality can off my Kia Sportage DD. :rolleyes:

The cans all are currently sitting in the parents' garage. My apartment lease contract says no combustible fuel containers allowed within apts, regardless of what purpose they may be for .

Please for the love of all things beautiful, ban those new safety cans. I have a couple modified units for mowers and chainsaws, but I purchased a new "hold the spring loaded valve down while you pour" cans and ended up with petrol up to my elbow. Effing STUPID regs!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top