JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The metal military-type gas cans from Europe don't have a threaded hole, they have a hinged cover over a spout that seals. I have one from France, another from Turkey (NATO member, a little corner is in Europe). These have never leaked. You can pour the fuel out via the spout if the receiving equipment will take it. Otherwise, it takes a special spout adapter similar to but not exactly like the US Army "donkey d*ck" with the threads. The European design has an air vent built into the spout so it won't glug-glug which the US type addresses IIRC with a hole in the lip of the opening.

About 30 years ago, I had a 55 gal. drum of gasoline stored on my property. I had one of those hand crank pumps from Harbor Freight, it worked as advertised. However, I didn't have a storage site then with a concrete pad so once filled, it was there for keeps until emptied. Oh I don't know, some time after that I decided that maybe the S wasn't gonna HTF right away. I needed to build a culvert so I cut the ends off the empty 55 gal drum and that became part of that project. It was then that I switched to metal 5 gal. cans, which I still have some of. But I haven't gone overboard, have some around just in case. For whatever reason.

This is why it is so difficult for meth cooks to find suitable locations to effect their livelihood.

My guess is Meth Heads who cook up probably don't care what landlords specify. I've heard some stories about how they've ruined dwellings from cooking. They like to cook in isolated/remote places because it's harder for their activities to be detected but after becoming addicted, they will do just about any crazy thing because their brain will no longer hold them back. Maybe I've been naive for not knowing more about this until recently. Not long ago, I read the book, Methland, by Nick Reding. It's a real eye-opener or at least it was for me. I had no idea how pervasive the problem is. Or that in addition to the do-it-yourselfers, how massive and organized the major manufacturing and distribution networks are.

The metal military-type gas cans from Europe don't have a threaded hole, they have a hinged cover over a spout that seals. I have one from France, another from Turkey (NATO member, a little corner is in Europe). These have never leaked. You can pour the fuel out via the spout if the receiving equipment will take it. Otherwise, it takes a special spout adapter similar to but not exactly like the US Army "donkey d*ck" with the threads. The European design has an air vent built into the spout so it won't glug-glug which the US type addresses IIRC with a hole in the lip of the opening.

About 30 years ago, I had a 55 gal. drum of gasoline stored on my property. I had one of those hand crank pumps from Harbor Freight, it worked as advertised. However, I didn't have a storage site then with a concrete pad so once filled, it was there for keeps until emptied. Oh I don't know, some time after that I decided that maybe the S wasn't gonna HTF right away. I needed to build a culvert so I cut the ends off the empty 55 gal drum and that became part of that project. It was then that I switched to metal 5 gal. cans, which I still have some of. But I haven't gone overboard, have some around just in case. For whatever reason.

My guess is Meth Heads who cook up probably don't care what landlords specify. I've heard some stories about how they've ruined dwellings from cooking. They like to cook in isolated/remote places because it's harder for their activities to be detected but after becoming addicted, they will do just about any crazy thing because their brain will no longer hold them back. Maybe I've been naive for not knowing more about this until recently. Not long ago, I read the book, Methland, by Nick Reding. It's a real eye-opener or at least it was for me. I had no idea how pervasive the problem is. Or that in addition to the do-it-yourselfers, how massive and organized the major manufacturing and distribution networks are.
yea that was a joke

Please for the love of all things beautiful, ban those new safety cans. I have a couple modified units for mowers and chainsaws, but I purchased a new "hold the spring loaded valve down while you pour" cans and ended up with petrol up to my elbow. Effing STUPID regs!!

Not sure what type of "safety cans" you're using, but my Justrite's are the best thing since sliced bread! The ones I hate are those with the spout that has to be depressed while pouring.

Guys, this isn't Rocket Surgery, NAPA auto parts has OEM replacement seals for the U.
S.G.I. Mil Surp 5 gallon fuel cans, and you can still get the nozzles there too! Quit the redneck engineering and go to NAPA! If you get some dummy millinal parts slinger who is afraid to open the books, tell him it's for a 1944 Willies JEEP MB, Fuel, aux, storage, man portable, steel, 5 gallon U.S.! :eek::D:p

Not sure what type of "safety cans" you're using, but my Justrite's are the best thing since sliced bread! The ones I hate are those with the spout that has to be depressed while pouring.

I have a small one gallon 'can' like that - I use it for premix for the chainsaw and pole saw. Other than that I have no plastic cans, just the $50 metal safety cans, mostly Eagle.

My gasoline reserves are all carefully stored away in sturdy styrofoam containers.

Not really. :D

No one had anything like you described locally. So on a whim... I cut up a couple pieces of bike inner tube into wide rubber bands and tried it.. it works!

Blitz 5 gallon jerry can, may be dated 5-90 (1990), may be military(USMC) marked. Paid $5 for the can :D Mounted to kia's roof rack with USGI cargo strapView attachment 477307 View attachment 477308 View attachment 477309

Please don't travel with your cans like that (on its side), they are meant to be up rite. Not worth the risk of even a minor leak turning into a mess, turning into a tragedy.

Best solution in your case would be one of those inexpensive hitch racks, obviously only good if you have a hitch. Can ad other bulk stuff on the same rack as well, or any other things you may not want inside the vehicle like propane, kerosene etc etc.

Edit: Just read your note about the lid popping in the sun...bummer!

Again though, for your case @CamoDeafie, I'd recommend a hitch rack over a spare tire bracket. More cost efficient/better use out of it too.

Not so much loss of "take off" clearance either as a concern...you will not be going places where it would generally be of concern in that suv. I suppose you might be able to find a rack with a hitch mount that comes up a bit too, witch would alleviate much of take off angle clearance concern anyways.

Last Edited:
Now, it would be a homeowner nightmare; some environmental agency would come sniffing around, wanting you to prove it wasn't leaking into the soil and causing contamination. Where's your permit, drill inspection wells, etc.

Guess it depends on where you live and how you feel about such things. 4 years ago I purchased two large Aluminum fuel tanks that the Air force uses in the field. After flushing them out(one still had JP4 in it) I coated them with mastic, dug the holes with a excavator and buried them. Didn't ask, didn't tell. It's my property I'll do as I see fit. I filled them from a tote I carried on the flat bed 330 gals at a time until full. Pumps are discretely placed and run on 12v.

Guys, this isn't Rocket Surgery, NAPA auto parts has OEM replacement seals for the U.
S.G.I. Mil Surp 5 gallon fuel cans, and you can still get the nozzles there too! Quit the redneck engineering and go to NAPA! If you get some dummy millinal parts slinger who is afraid to open the books, tell him it's for a 1944 Willies JEEP MB, Fuel, aux, storage, man portable, steel, 5 gallon U.S.! :eek::D:p

Do I need to repeat myself? The metal Blitz can i have, does NOT have the same old school USGI threaded donkey d*ck caps. They are more akin to the 90s plastic can caps, but bigger diameter than even the largest current plastic caps, with the possible exception of the plastic NATO can caps.

Guess it depends on where you live and how you feel about such things. 4 years ago I purchased two large Aluminum fuel tanks that the Air force uses in the field. After flushing them out(one still had JP4 in it) I coated them with mastic, dug the holes with a excavator and buried them. Didn't ask, didn't tell. It's my property I'll do as I see fit. I filled them from a tote I carried on the flat bed 330 gals at a time until full. Pumps are discretely placed and run on 12v.

Certainly I have no objection but watch out for drones.

I have a number of the red plastic fuel containers I've been using on my boats for years.
The key is to keep them out of the sun, or the UV exposure will make them brittle. :eek:

As far as a leaking cap, buy some, "O" Ring seals. Most are fuel proof and they will stop the leaks.:D

Always store fuel containers in an upright position..:p:p:p :rolleyes:

Last time I was visiting the daughter and son-in-law, I noticed he had one of those plastic gas cans with nubbin on the nozzle that needed to be pushed in to release the gas. Told him that was dumb and he agreed it was a PITA. When the daughter came down with her kids for a visit, I sent her home with a 2 gallon Justrite gas can for the son-in-law's birthday. Got a big thumbs-up from him a few days later.

Certainly I have no objection but watch out for drones.

That's a good point if you live where they are used. Down here in BFAlabama they don't. Small county, no one really gives a crap what you do on your property. Every so often the PoPo flies low n slow looking for those evul pot growers but that's about it. It would get real expensive flying anything but milspec type drones in this county because honestly 98% of the land owners will shoot them down on sight. I have 1 kill so far. 4 more and I'm an ace. We take our privacy really serious out here.

Last Edited:
Best solution in your case would be one of those inexpensive hitch racks, obviously only good if you have a hitch. Can ad other bulk stuff on the same rack as well, or any other things you may not want inside the vehicle like propane, kerosene etc etc.

Edit: Just read your note about the lid popping in the sun...bummer!

Again though, for your case @CamoDeafie, I'd recommend a hitch rack over a spare tire bracket. More cost efficient/better use out of it too.

EDIT: That didn't work. here it is. old photo of my current car, before removing the tire cover, the wheel covers and the addition of a roof basket. Kia Sportage.jpg
Well. I was thinking a can mount that goes where the black swing away frame for the tire carrier is exposed; ideally the can would be placed there, narrow side facing front/rear, while wide side is facing the tire...
idea like this
4721594515_09f55c7c15_b-119701.jpg

since hitch mounted anything tall would mean I would have to take it off a cargo hitch carrier in order to access the tailgate for spare tire tools and the spare itself... Although I am looking at the 300lb "ATV" cargo carrier that should be within the 350lb tongue weight limit of the 1.25" hitch (It is welded into the frame, and has 3,500 lbs GTW and 350lbs TW stamped to it)

EDIT: That didn't work. here it is. old photo of my current car, before removing the tire cover, the wheel covers and the addition of a roof basket. View attachment 480575
Well. I was thinking a can mount that goes where the black swing away frame for the tire carrier is exposed; ideally the can would be placed there, narrow side facing front/rear, while wide side is facing the tire...
idea like this
View attachment 480577

since hitch mounted anything tall would mean I would have to take it off a cargo hitch carrier in order to access the tailgate for spare tire tools and the spare itself... Although I am looking at the 300lb "ATV" cargo carrier that should be within the 350lb tongue weight limit of the 1.25" hitch (It is welded into the frame, and has 3,500 lbs GTW and 350lbs TW stamped to it)

Gotcha.

I like the cargo carrier idea myself, for in your case anyways. Mind that you really shouldn't be driving around with the can on everyday anyways (theft/vandalism magnet), IMO.

So that way (with the rack/cargo carrier), you'd only have the can on when you plan to use it. Long trips & such, "get out of dodge". Your not spending $ unneccassarily on the mount for the swing out.

The other upside to the cargo carrier/rack is carrying more crap, as mentioned, plus those cheap plastic gas cans everyone has for lawnmowers/chainsaws.

If you do decide to go the swing out mount route, I think they may still sell a mount that goes through the spare tire lugs. Least ways I had one on my Mitsubishi Montero years ago. Had forgot about it...it was so long ago...

The bracket I had on my Montero looked something like this:

Olympic 4x4 Products 991-404 RotopaX Spare Tire Mounting Bracket

Mind that bracket is for the rotopax can system, it could likely be relatively easily modified to hold a Jerry can tray. Probably anyways.

Dunno on wether your swing out could handle the extra weight, and that weight being further out though.

Plus it made getting at the spare a real PITA.

EDIT: That didn't work. here it is. old photo of my current car, before removing the tire cover, the wheel covers and the addition of a roof basket. View attachment 480575
idea like this
View attachment 480577

That could turn out bad if some Prius slammed you from the rear at a stop light.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top