JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got a new 308 (700 SPS tactical) and I got a bunch of ammo in the trade deal, and the only stuff that wasn't match ammo was Hornady Zombiemax, so I sighted in for those because they're actually good rounds, gimicks aside. Because I don't want to pay the few extra bucks for the fun box and marketing stuff, I'm looking for identical rounds and I looked at the TAP FPD rounds in the same grain (168). They seem to be the same exact ballistics listed for both rounds by Hornady, same grain, and from what I heard it's the same bullet.

So my question is, are these rounds interchangeable? Are there any factors I'm overlooking? I want to stick with this type of round because it has good terminal performance and my gun seems to like them (1/2-1/4 MOA with good shooter)

That Z-max load is the exact same as the 168gr 308 Hornady Amax Match, except with greenish vs red tip. It's also the same load as the TAP, except the TAP has a nickel plated case.

You're generally more likely to find the Z-max rounds at a lower cost than those other two loads. The zombie gimmick didn't seem to work out well for Hornaday, I've been seeing Z-max loads on sale all over the place, particularly Cabelas.

That's great you're getting such excellent accuracy out of them, I can see why you'd want to stick with them. I bought 1000 of the bullets from Cabelas on sale and haven't loaded any rounds up yet, sounds promising.

Ah, so its the A max. I thought it was the v max bullet.

Ya thats the other big thing, I can't seem to find z max anywhere anymore. I think I got lucky matching them up with the gun

Yeah, A-max in .308, it's the V-max bullet in the 223 loadings.

Only place I could find Z-Max 308 in stock was MidwayUsa. I saw Freedom munitions was loading some .308 with hornaday A-max bullets for .85 cents a round, seems like it could be a good deal.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top