JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
  2. For Trade
Price
$120
Manufacturer
Hornady
Caliber
223 Remington
City
Lake Stevens
State
Washington
Zip Code
I have some bullets from an estate I picked up a while ago that had several things I can't use. So time to post them again and see if someone else can use them.

Open to trades for reloading stuff, ammo, PM's etc. and willing to ship on your dime. I do use Pirateship so postage is usually fairly reasonable.
Think the price is too high. Make an offer. I try to price things well but occasionally I make mistakes.

What I have:

Box of 907 Hornady .224 - 62 or 63gr bullets Item #: 55109? Hand counted.
Randomly weighed one bullet came to 62.7gr.
This was from an estate the item number came from the prior person so it's possible the number was written down incorrectly. also possible the item number is from the supplier he bought from. These are in a blank box and ziplock bag so not in their original box.

Asking: $120 + postage if needed

20240416_163053.jpg 20240416_163045.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
Hello. Not seeing a Hornady bullet or item
number in their catalog that matches your
description.

Care to check again? Thanks.
I'll go dig the box out. Might have copied something down wrong! Been there done that before. Will post and let you know. Thanks for asking.

Last Edited:
I too have been waiting for a follow up for a mystery solving post. I have reloaded Hornady bullets for over 50 years. I am new however to the .224 caliber as one I reload. I see Hornady currently sells 62 grain FMJ in one quantity, 5500 bullets. I have not seen a 63 grain bullet by Hornady. The "5500" has some similarity to a number on the box. The bullets in the plastic bag in the box look like FMJ. Yet the box appears to say there are 907 bullets.

In reloading for all my firearms I weigh each bullet. For testing loads and accuracy I usually use bullets within "0.1" grain of each bullet in the load I test or use. In all these years I have never experienced a Hornady bullet to be ".07" grain off the designated weight.

I am afraid I am not much help. I would guess the bullets may have originally came in the much larger quantity. For that much variation in weight they may be another brand, factory seconds, or from years earlier when manufacturing was less precise.

I too have been waiting for a follow up for a mystery solving post. I have reloaded Hornady bullets for over 50 years. I am new however to the .224 caliber as one I reload. I see Hornady currently sells 62 grain FMJ in one quantity, 5500 bullets. I have not seen a 63 grain bullet by Hornady. The "5500" has some similarity to a number on the box. The bullets in the plastic bag in the box look like FMJ. Yet the box appears to say there are 907 bullets.

In reloading for all my firearms I weigh each bullet. For testing loads and accuracy I usually use bullets within "0.1" grain of each bullet in the load I test or use. In all these years I have never experienced a Hornady bullet to be ".07" grain off the designated weight.

I am afraid I am not much help. I would guess the bullets may have originally came in the much larger quantity. For that much variation in weight they may be another brand, factory seconds, or from years earlier when manufacturing was less precise.
Yep, guessing they are likely 62gr bullets. And for sure they are the leftovers from a larger box. You very well may be right these originally came from a box of 5500, would not surprise me as, if I remember correctly, there was a crap load of 223 brass in that estate as well, along with numerous other reloading bullets for 223/556. Quite possibly these might be seconds. I might grab a handful and see what weights I get. Making sure to rezero the scale too!

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top