JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see in the search feature on NWFA that a few people are aware of these. I only recently discovered the design. They are of interest to me not because of their sub-sonic potential use rather for reduced recoil loads.

The Hornady Sub-X is designed to deliver reliable expansion are low velocities. It was originally designed for use in the new .350 Legend. But I see they are also made in .308 sizes, maybe some others that I'm not aware of.

The bullet of particular interest to me is 250 gr. .357, for the .350 Legend. The 250 gr. must not be a popular size in the Legend, because it is sold at a reduced price at Midway and elsewhere. But I'm thinking it may be a winner for reduced recoil loads in the .35 Whelen. Being .001 undersize probably won't be a problem. I emailed the Hornady tech people asking them if there was an upward limit on velocity. They said they had tested the bullet up to 2,400-2,500 fps and had no problems. So I'm thinking this might be a good reduced recoil load for the Whelen. Because it's made for the Legend, it has a short, stubby ogive which will require deep seating. No problem, I'll have plenty of space for that in the Whelen case using SR 4759 powder. Or H4198.

There is a worm in the back of my brain that tells me this bullet won't be available for very long.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top