JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
These things are addictive...:eek:
Here is the lock so far. Tough work with a drill press, grinder, hacksaw and files. :mad:
Don't know if it will be a rifle, or pistol. That depends on the barrel I find.:)
I cheated and used coil springs. :D
Pattern off of the WEB with needed modifications.:rolleyes:
DSCF4560.jpg
DSCF4562.jpg DSCF4563.jpg DSCF4568.JPG

Nice looking lock...
Interesting layout of the internals...Just for comparison here is a internal view of an original percussion lock.
( Not trying to show anyone one up here...just showing for comparison and discussion )
Andy
P1110227[1].JPG

This was going to be a copy of pistol shown on the WEB, "Hardware Store Muzzle Loader" but the further I got into
it, (Working from the video), I found nothing fit right and 3/8" steel plate does not lend itself well to working with home shop tools.:confused:
I had to make several modifications and used whatever I had on hand.:eek:
Now to find a barrel.:rolleyes:

Nice looking lock...
Interesting layout of the internals...Just for comparison here is a internal view of an original percussion lock.
( Not trying to show anyone one up here...just showing for comparison and discussion )
Andy
View attachment 579850
Andy, those guys had to have been watchmakers as well as gunsmiths. Flat springs, ARGH ! To make one of
those is a project in itself. There are some good videos that show how to make them.:)
Everything on YouTube a? :rolleyes:

I would be interested in how much you paid for the bbl on sneebay
What config was the bbl? Fast slow dia .?
I have some I need to sell.
As well as some bullet molds and wheel weights and pure dead lead.
It's addicting alright. My pure lead is still in the shipping box marked 42#

turg,
With tax & shipping $69.00. In the white, un-drilled, 32" long, 15/16 across the flats. It's rifled, unknown twist. This will be my first time, "Building", a muzzle loading rifle. I just recently built a Matchlock Smooth Bore. The last time I owned a ML rifle, (years ago) I just payed my money and took my chances.:rolleyes:

I'll be looking for a .50 Maxi-Ball mold before long.:)

Last Edited:
These things are addictive...:eek:
Here is the lock so far. Tough work with a drill press, grinder, hacksaw and files. :mad:
Don't know if it will be a rifle, or pistol. That depends on the barrel I find.:)
I cheated and used coil springs. :D
Pattern off of the WEB with needed modifications.:rolleyes:
View attachment 579772
View attachment 579774 View attachment 579775 View attachment 579776

I only wish I had such a nice place to work. I cleaned my .54 percussion sitting on the
floor of the bedroom drawing the water out of the tub & pouring the waste into the
toilet... Ah well, some day...
Longbeard

Been there, done that...:rolleyes:
The ring is a bugger to get out of the tub.:eek:
Next time try a bucket of soapy water with a shotgun swab on your cleaning rod.
The wet swab creates a suction in the barrel that pulls the water in and out, or you
can just pour the water into the barrel.:)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews