JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know about oregon, but I do know about northern california...

Hogs are elusive prey, usually the only time you catch them in the open is by random chance, or outside legal shooting hours. The converse of this, is if you find where they wallow, and are able to flush them.

I remember my first time, I took a heavy scoped rifle, and spent hours glassing valleys, hillsides, and never saw a single one. Then walking up to a hilltop to get a better view, there was a pig not 40 yards away. I pulled my rifle up to my shoulder, realizing the magnification was WAAAAY too high, the scope was full of pig, I put the scope about where the vitals were and... BANG, the pig dropped like a sack of doorknobs. Single shot, clean kill, died where it stood.

Since then I have dropped down to using my AR, it's lighter, has rapid follow up shots for when you flush them and have to take running shots. Also, the smaller caliber damages less meat. The first pig I took with a .308 I pretty much destroyed the front 1/4 of the pig, what I was hoping would be prime pork shoulder, ended up being something that resembled hamburger meat if you just added all the bones. The .308 was insanely destructive at that close distance.

The .223 is still quite destructive, but I have been sticking to using the barnes TSX as it gives better penetration, with less explosive expansion. I also usually try to go for the smaller pigs, as they taste better, are easier to prepare, and have more fat on them.

Also, if you have ever taken apart a mammal before, wild hogs are slightly different on skinning. There is a large "fighting plate" of cartilage that can be over an inch thick, that covers from the neck to the bottom of the rib cage, it can be quite stiff and difficult to bend. Rather than like other big game, where you skin from the back to front, skin pigs from bottom to top (start at the sternum and work towards the spine). Doing a combination of back to front, and bottom to top seems to work the best.

From the research I've done, there isn't much hog hunting in Oregon. According to the ODFW website, very few areas have ferrel hogs, and most are on private land. I'm seriously considering a California hunt in the near future. Friends went a few years ago and said it was the most fun they had ever had hunting.

Thats what we are going to have to shoot for. Dont mind alittle drive to cal. Been trying to do alot of digging lately for find all the info I can on this. Wouldnt mind filling my frezzer with bacon and ham.

Wild pig meat is very different in character from the farm raised hogs everyone is used to, it's much more like beef or lamb and has a much richer flavor, which depends greatly on what the pigs are eating.

If you do go hunting for pig this year, the acorns should be dropping... so they should be active at least. However, it's been a hard year in norcal for wildlife, the summer was pretty hot, and there were a lot of fires. In CA, pigs are a year round game, I think the season closes for 1 day IIRC. I know when I was up at the family ranch over the summer, water was getting pretty scarce, even for the cattle.

Grizzly unit spring 2013

big pig.jpg

I would like to travel around a bit when I retire and do some feral hog hunting. This might be a good reason to get an AR (I am an AK fan) - an accurate semi-auto with interchangeable uppers and a good system for mounting a scope.

Question is, in Calif. could someone travel in from out of state and use a non-Calif AR system for pig hunting?

I kind of doubt it.

I would get an AR-10 in .308 That would cover pretty much anything you would ever want to shoot in North America.
You should be able to take a Kalifornistan Kompliant firearm anywhere. Maybe not in some of the more restricted places.
Do a thourough search on firearms laws wherever you go.
You can always remove the restricted garbage like the bullet button when you leave, or add it back before you enter the restricted area.

I would like to travel around a bit when I retire and do some feral hog hunting. This might be a good reason to get an AR (I am an AK fan) - an accurate semi-auto with interchangeable uppers and a good system for mounting a scope.

Question is, in Calif. could someone travel in from out of state and use a non-Calif AR system for pig hunting?

I kind of doubt it.

NO

I was fishing for salmon on the Columbia River in a neighbors boat last year, and he had a friend from Texas on board.
The Texan had some pretty good stories about feral hog hunting, and the best ones were when they would night hunt, using dogs and knives.
At first I thought he was just telling tall stories, but he showed me the scars on his wrists from wrestling the hog onto it's back and trying to stab it in the heart.
You got to be just a little nuts to jump on one of those hogs with only a knife in one hand, and a couple of dogs holding it down for you.

Last Edited:
Here in Oregon there is very little hog hunting opportunities, but if you do get the chance there is a couple things to know,

You can't be paid to hunt them, and you can't pay someone to hunt on their land for them. I read this on ODFW but I'm too lazy to go back and find where I saw it. Something about "selling a hunt" is illegal. If you do find an instance where you can hunt though I would be very interested in hunting as well and would graciously except the information.

Eagle

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads