JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know if this one has already been mentioned but since I was involved in it I figured What The H---. The .451 Detonics Magnum!!! It came into this World after the Boss's kid ran a finish reamer in too deep. The result was a slightly longer .45ACP which could only be used with the shorter Remington 185gr. HP bullets. I custom built the first 100 cases using .308 Winchester brass. They talked somebody into building Factory ammunition for it but with Detonics being the only builder of the guns it didn't last long. Before long Detonics went out of business.

While reading some other threads here dealing with dead cartridges, I started to wonder "what are some really hipster handgun cartridges I can get in to?"

I'm already a faithful devotee of the 10mm Auto, but this isn't hipster enough to qualify. Why? It's useful, it fills a niche that other cartridges don't. In this case it's a semiauto intended cartridge with some serious power.

A real hipster cartridge needs to be the following: obscure, no factory loads available, "used to be cool", and kind of pointless.

By kind of pointless I mean it shouldn't have any significant advantage over other commercially available rounds. For example .41AE. Barely better ballistics than 40 and eclipsed by 10mm.

So I'll start. 9mm Largo I think borders on hipster cartridge. No specific brass for it, but you can use 38 super brass so maybe it's not hipster enough.

What are your guilty pleasure hipster rounds? Which hipster calibers should I stuff magazines full of into my skinny jeans that are 2 inches too short?

Wanna be the epitome of Hip?.
When I uncase my Dardick, and my Gyrojet,the rest of the range comes to a halt.
Among The hippist,
Gary:D

I don't know if this one has already been mentioned but since I was involved in it I figured What The H---. The .451 Detonics Magnum!!! It came into this World after the Boss's kid ran a finish reamer in too deep. The result was a slightly longer .45ACP which could only be used with the shorter Remington 185gr. HP bullets. I custom built the first 100 cases using .308 Winchester brass. They talked somebody into building Factory ammunition for it but with Detonics being the only builder of the guns it didn't last long. Before long Detonics went out of business.
Hipster or not, that's a cool story.

The .22 Jet should never have left the drawing board. The tapered case is known to back out from the chamber and tie-up the revolver's cylinder. S&W engineers should have predicted this and put the kybosh on the revolver's production.

The Jet would run pretty well, as long as the chambers were dry.
Any thing within seven yards would succumb to the muzzle blast and fireball even if the bullet did not connect.
Best,
Gary

The .22 Jet should never have left the drawing board. The tapered case is known to back out from the chamber and tie-up the revolver's cylinder. S&W engineers should have predicted this and put the kybosh on the revolver's production.
I feel the real problem with the Jet was the fact that Smith and Wesson called it a "Magnum" and of course all the reloaders simply had to jack it up. It really does a very nice job the way it was designed. Another problem with the "Magnum" marking came up when people wanted to have a .22 WRM cylinder fitted and Smith and Wesson would only fit standard .22 Rimfire cylinders because the Barrel is that diameter.

Didn't the Jet have a rep for sticking in cylinders and burning up barrels, on top of a lack of accuracy?
The issue of sticking did occur and the guns came with a special swap to keep the cylinder dry. The problem became crazy when people started trying to get even more out of the guns. I have more than one of the Model 53s and I have found accuracy to be just fine especially from the 8-3/8" barrel. I have chosen to stick with the Factory loads and regular cleaning and degreasing. As for burning up barrels and cylinders, I just haven't seen any issue. Admittedly, I don't shoot hundreds of rounds through any of my guns so I am not sure if that happens.

I know I'll get flack, screw it!

Noveske, Q, Radian, and probably a handful others are super hipster in my eyes.

If not, at least they have a hipster vibe to them.

If nothing, at least they fit the Hipster narrative of overcharging for something that's worth a lot less.

Kind of like American Giant clothing.

I know I'll get flack, screw it!

Noveske, Q, Radian, and probably a handful others are super hipster in my eyes.

If not, at least they have a hipster vibe to them.

If nothing, at least they fit the Hipster narrative of overcharging for something that's worth a lot less.

Kind of like American Giant clothing.

Reno,
Yer getting close, but I will get you home.
Gonna get out :)my .22 Velo-Dog.
Even the Portland crowd should groove on this. After all, it was designed for bicycle riders.

Best,
Gary

If I win the lotto...I would surely add these two oddball pistols and equally unique ammo offerings to the stable.

Gyrojet and "rocket fuel" ammo of the same name
F622B098-EF84-4F2F-96AA-6F498FE2A244.jpeg
8ECF864F-8DAA-4279-AD69-676BDBD47303.jpeg
And the Dardick pistol and the ammo referred to as Trounds.
65A1B0CD-4357-4AC0-82F2-09EEF1F746C4.jpeg
I HEART WEIRD!

Rick :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR