JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
You should set back several pairs of boots. Good boots are very important.

Finding quality low priced boots is a challenge. When I do find quality products of any type, I tend to set back extras. Boots are something I keep a lot of pairs of.

I found these Bates boots. Bates is a high quality boot maker, and provide military boots to our GIs. I had some Bates in the service and know their high standards.

I found these discounted to only $30. That's a steal. They're normally over $100 and everywhere else I've seen them they are between $110 to $150.
They have limited sizes however.

Ordering clothing and boots/shoes online is a fitment challenge. Military boots are NOTORIOUSLY not sized correctly. I took a gamble.

I normally wear 11W to 11.5 running shoes. [My normal military boot size is as low as 9.5 to 11 and each company is somewhere between, hence the challenge]. I ordered 2 pair of 11.5 standard width and they are a perfect fitment. Very high quality and comfortable. Wearing them around the house now to break in. VERY IMPRESSED for thirty dollars. So I quickly ordered 4 more pair.

I would go with your typical running shoe size from Nike, Adidas, etc. or maybe go 1/2 size larger. Hopefully they have your size!

If you've read this far, as a bonus I found two different coupon codes that worked for me.
10% off code: textlapg10
If that fails use 5% off code lapg or lapg5

[IF you cannot find your size, they also have a few closeout house brand boots for $30 or $40 each, but I have no opinion on those.]

Awesome deal, ordered a pair of 11.5s for myself. And the 10% off coupon worked for me.

As a side note, their house brand pants are also quite good, I wear them a lot.

Before you toss your comfortable old set a whatevers, consider tossing them in your trunk or whatever, socks too.
It'd suck having to hike fiddy miles in oxfords or flipflops in inclement weather.

They look good for $30. Right now, I can't wear boots at any price due to a left foot problem. But I have foot surgery coming up in early March. Following recovery from that, I hope to be able to do so again. So it's okay that this special is out of my size for now. I really do like to try on any footwear before buying it due to size variations.

You should set back several pairs of boots.

Normally, I think this is a good idea. And I've done so myself. But we don't get many shoes now that are leather panels stitched together with tough thread. Lots of plastics and various rubber compounds. In my own experience of hoarding, er, stockpiling, I've had some synthetic shoe materials go bad over time. In the box before ever being worn. One other thing, the time horizon for aging out catches up with us. Now I think, "Will I used this much of thus and such before I croak?" In the case of boots, we may not be able to fully use them up to the very last step before the grave.

My dad was an army officer in WW2, a pilot. When I was a kid growing up, he had a pair of work boots but I'm sure they weren't issued to him. His normal footwear while he was an officer, even flying, was a pair of brown Chukka boots. His work boots I'm pretty sure originally were army boots, though. The were brown hard leather that laced up. Cap toe. Leather full sole with rubber half sole. We had those boots around for decades. My dad and I wore the same size shoe, so when he died in 1984, I took them home. They lasted about another 8 or 10 years after that, but by that time they were falling apart. I finally let them go to a collector who loved the "authentic look." I didn't tell him that they hadn't gotten that look at Bastogne but from working on cars in the back yard.

Normally, I think this is a good idea. And I've done so myself. But we don't get many shoes now that are leather panels stitched together with tough thread. Lots of plastics and various rubber compounds. In my own experience of hoarding, er, stockpiling, I've had some synthetic shoe materials go bad over time. In the box before ever being worn. One other thing, the time horizon for aging out catches up with us. Now I think, "Will I used this much of thus and such before I croak?" In the case of boots, we may not be able to fully use them up to the very last step before the grave.

Very good thoughts. I concur with the same ideas and thinking.

I can say these boots are made well. I've owned and worn dozens of pairs of boots from major military suppliers (Bates, Corcoran, Danner, and a few others). These are top notch and won't be dissolving from sitting in a box. Leather, canvas, and really well made soles with heavy duty stitching and nice laces.

These are hot weather (think "jungle" boots - leather and canvas with water drain holes) boots. I bought 2 pairs, and 4 more. I figure if worn regularly in summer for training and hiking, each pair should last a few years. A set for the vehicle trunks, leaves me with probably 2+ decades of hot weather boots for about $150. The investment is so low that there's no reason to not get them IMHO if they fit.

I had a pair of "tactical boots" in the past, based on the recommendation of a friend who swore by them.
The sole was so thin, it was like wearing a pair of flip flops.
No thanks.
6" Sears Diehard's for me, please.
I used them as work boots when I worked on cars and they wore like iron.
Good boot at a good price.

Dean

I had a pair of "tactical boots" in the past, based on the recommendation of a friend who swore by them.
The sole was so thin, it was like wearing a pair of flip flops.
No thanks.
6" Sears Diehard's for me, please.
I used them as work boots when I worked on cars and they wore like iron.
Good boot at a good price.

Dean

These boots pass and comply with military regulations. Bates is a major provider of military boots to the Armed Forces. These boots are nearly identical to the rugged boots I was issued in service. I wore 1 pair of similar hot weather boots on all FOUR of my deployments before retiring them (not worn exclusively, mind you, as I rotated thru boots to allow for drying, airing out, different climates, etc., but they had a LOT of miles). VERY RUGGED. Not including the thinner arch, the sole at the heal and ball are a full inch thick.

They ain't no flip flops. :rolleyes:

gerii-hot-weather-boot-footprint__63389.1574783734.jpg

-hot-weather-boot-left-side-view__62340.1574783734.jpg

So they still have 10.5's and 11.5's. I normally wear an 11, but got a pair of Merells 11.5's that were such a good deal. I added an extra insole and they fit great. Some of the comments though say they run large.

Anybody want to chime in on which size I should order - or not?

So they still have 10.5's and 11.5's. I normally wear an 11, but got a pair of Merells 11.5's that were such a good deal. I added an extra insole and they fit great. Some of the comments though say they run large.

I normally wear a size 12 tennis shoe, when I get mine I can let you know how they fit if you want.

My typical size running shoe is an 11 or 11.5 in Nike, Reebok, etc. Sometimes I get a 11.5 boot. As I said before, military boots are often sized weird and depending on the manufacturer, sometimes it's as small as 9.5 and up to 11. My motorcycle boots are 12s and about a quarter size big.

Long winded way of saying you and I are the same size 11 that I can say you would almost certainly be fine with an 11.5.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top