JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Herrets, Hogue, Spegel (Craig Spegel, Nehalem, OR), Ahrends, all make great handgun stocks. There are plenty of other makers, but this is a start. Use Google and enter custom handgun stocks.

But you have to know frame size (J,K,L,N) and round or square butt size. It usually helps to just give them the model number and round/square butt info.

Just curious and for my own edification...why are you taking off the rubber grips and replacing them with wooden target grips? I've had a love affair with Smith revolvers for years and the first thing I always do when I get another one (new or used) is to remove the wooden grips and replace them with Hogue rubber grips. It has always seemed to me that the Smith taget stocks are too large, especially at the bottom, and move the ring and little fingers forward instead of back making them hard to get a good hold on. I do have one revolver, a Smith Model 66 (K frame) that does have Hogue wooden grips but they are cut to look and fit like their rubber counterparts and the only reason it has wooden grips is because it is a CC piece.

Side note...Old Guys Rule!

Those fat bottom wood stocks are made for stability, there's a reason they're called "Target Grips" while the others are just "Grips". I'm not trying to draw my 6.5" 44 Magnum revolver from a holster in the rain, I have no use for sticky grips. As far as the finger grooves go, it's my belief that pulling the fingers apart fatigues the muscles in the arm much faster. If I hold my hand out right in front of me and make a small "C" with all my fingers together (index north/pinky south) I can keep my hand very still. I pull those fingers apart and almost instantly my hand starts shaking. I'll never be convinced finger grooved rubber grips are good for accuracy.

Those fat bottom wood stocks are made for stability, there's a reason they're called "Target Grips" while the others are just "Grips". I'm not trying to draw my 6.5" 44 Magnum revolver from a holster in the rain, I have no use for sticky grips. As far as the finger grooves go, it's my belief that pulling the fingers apart fatigues the muscles in the arm much faster. If I hold my hand out right in front of me and make a small "C" with all my fingers together (index north/pinky south) I can keep my hand very still. I pull those fingers apart and almost instantly my hand starts shaking. I'll never be convinced finger grooved rubber grips are good for accuracy.

So you use the tight-fisted method, huh? :)

Just the crack pipe.

Ordered three sets of grips from Altamont today. They didn't have the target ones I wanted for the 629 so I opted for this style:

IMAG0014.jpg

Got targets for the 686 (w/medallions):

SKC-TO05-C01.jpg

Also picked up grips for a GP100 I don't quite own yet and Colt grip screws.

SCREW-L90-M10.jpg

Altamont contacted me the day after I ordered, what I wanted wasn't in stock 3023p6w.jpg

But that's ok, I still got new grips!!! Told them not to wait the 2-3 weeks for the desired ones to come in stock, so instead I got these in the mail today. I may put the darker ones on the 6.5" 629, but for now they stay on the 5".

OLD GRIPS:
168he80.jpg

NEW GRIPS:
5bbryp.jpg

OLD GRIPS:
350jbcy.jpg

NEW GRIPS:
2lut5li.jpg

Fit and finish is amazing, I will be ordering from Altamont again soon. Got grips for a GP100 I don't own, so one of you vancouver tardlings put one in the classifieds already! Also, Colt grip screws look awesome on my Gold Cup.

I could be wrong

You usually are 2i0ll5.jpg

I think jbett98 is referring to the fact that a grip fitted for round butt can have a square butt profile but not the other way around and that is correct

"I believe that a round butt frame can wear square butt style grips, but a square butt frame can't fit the round butt style."

He's not gonna win any awards for articulation, but I tried putting a brand new set of square butt Pachmayr's on one of my 629's, it moved around way too much to be shot that way. You could tighten the screw so much it would be sticking out of the grip on the other end about a quarter of an inch and the grips would still move and slide.

I've seen round butt grips with the flared out bottom characteristic of the square butt.

They're called conversions, and they're properly cut for round butts to look like squares. Also, when done correctly they utilize each and every pin hole in the frame for stability. I've read many gripes on-line of the cheaper grips relying on nothing but the 'squeeze' method and that doesn't give sufficient support. The Altamonts above are not only cut to perfection on the inside, but there's also 4 pins in each grip that fit into small holes in the frame. I don't know if those pin holes match up on square butts the same as they do on round, but even if they did I think a beefier cartridge like the 44 Magnum would eventually wear that wood loose if it were cut for square and only being supported by the 4 pins.

Nice new grip BTW

Thanks broski! They feel great in the hand too, unlike a Glock. 2q87h38.jpg

You had to know it was coming..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR