JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My son was shooting at age 5 my step daughter was introduced to firearms by both her dad and myself around 7-8 years old (she currently holds Expert Marksmanship badges for both M-16 and M-9 and has even trained on a M-19 grenade launcher) My son has expert ratings on M-14 M-4 M-16 M-9 and is qualified on the current shotgun used on board ship.

Both own their own firearms both hunt. My Daughter married a guy who spends most his time fishing but is an active shooter and hunter. Her daughters are being introduced to firearms her 16 year old step daughter has her own bolt action .22 and has attended an Appleseed training event. The little ones aged 5 and 6 are yet to become shooters but will before they are 10.

Agreed, if we fail to pass on a positive version of gun culture to the next generation then the war is lost. I'm proud to say I have helped a few youngsters have a positive first experience with firearms and I will continue to do so.

Found my 4 year old daughter looking at my Gun World Mag this morning on the floor, "you wanna learn to shot?" Yes. Since she has been strong enough to hold a rifle or pistol, i have let her, teaching her.

It's a little more difficult with daughters. They have no interest but agree that guns are just a tool for self defense or hunting etc. They know bad guys will use other "tools" if guns are outlawed. They also know bad guys won't give up their guns if guns are outlawed.
It's one of the easier things to explain to them in this confusing world. they seem to agree and understand. Why some adults don't understand is beyond me!

I try to introduce all my son's friends to shooting. It is amazing how quickly a non-shooting boy takes to firearms.

I never do it without the parent's consent. Sometimes I have to work pretty hard to win them over, but the best argument is "your son needs to know the rules of firearm safety in case he ends up in a situation where a gun is present and is being handled unsafely." Interestingly, I have never had a parent argue that gun-free zones or zero-tolerance will protect their child!

Well that's perhaps debatable.
If we got all the children and most adults off of the emasculating psychotropic drugs that they are on/prescribed, I don't think that that'd hurt one little bit regarding the cause.

I started my son and daughter shooting at about age 4 on a chipmunk rifle. My son loved it, daughter could take it or leave it just like baseball and soccer. Duck hunting was too cold and wet for the girl, but my son bagged his first drake mallard on the wing at age 7. They took their hunter safety course together even though my daughter has never hunted. My son won three varsity letters in high school in precision rifle shooting and took second in the Washington/Oregon State Championships his junior year. He's away at college now on an athletic/academic scholarship (baseball) and he took his Beretta Xtrema with him.

I cherished the time I spent hunting and shooting with both my kids. Hunting and shooting with your children is indeed the ultimate trophy.

I have them lined up around the block to go shoot. It's mainly the expense and ammo supply that keeps me from taking my kids friends shooting. I haven't met a parent yet, that I've invited, that doesn't want their kid to go shoot with us at the range.

It's a little more difficult with daughters. They have no interest but agree that guns are just a tool for self defense or hunting etc. They know bad guys will use other "tools" if guns are outlawed. Hopefully the good guys won't give up their guns if guns are outlawed.
It's one of the easier things to explain to them in this confusing world. they seem to agree and understand. Why some adults don't understand is beyond me!

I agree with everything you said but needed to fix one thing ;)

I had my first rifle, a single shot bolt action Springfield 22LR with a little scope, when I was 7 years old. That thing felt like a cannon when I was a kid with my dad, uncles and grandpa at the gun range. Though my wife and I are a childless couple, I have, along with their fathers, taught several kids to shoot. The torch has to be passed somehow.

I wish my dad had started me sooner, but he still did right. I got my first BB gun at age 8, shot some .22s, .300 Savage and .270, but wasn't really a frequent shooter with my dad.

One day when I was about 12, I got my first straight-A report card. A few days later I came home from school and found a Marlin 60 resting on my bed with a nice note from my dad.

I remember taking my first WA hunter's safety course and aced every part of the shooting test. I had never even shot a shotgun before and still nailed every clay. I think that was when I got the bug.

My first son is being born in several months and I can't wait to take him shooting for his first time. He will have a lot more "fun guns" to shoot than I did when I was a kid.

Dad is a long-time hunter, was never really "into guns" outside of what he needed to hunt, and never saw guns as much more than a tool, but still treated them with the respect they deserved and taught me the same.

I started my son and daughter shooting at about age 4 on a chipmunk rifle. My son loved it, daughter could take it or leave it just like baseball and soccer. Duck hunting was too cold and wet for the girl, but my son bagged his first drake mallard on the wing at age 7. They took their hunter safety course together even though my daughter has never hunted. My son won three varsity letters in high school in precision rifle shooting and took second in the Washington/Oregon State Championships his junior year. He's away at college now on an athletic/academic scholarship (baseball) and he took his Beretta Xtrema with him.

I cherished the time I spent hunting and shooting with both my kids. Hunting and shooting with your children is indeed the ultimate trophy.

Hope he doesn't attend GONZAGA :(

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads