JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I finally had a day to get some work done on Henry. The TBI system has been cleaned and rebuilt. Unfortunately, I didn't get time to take it for a test drive, but it did start right up with no leaks or complaints. Time will tell if it solved the stalling issue. Getting that new fuel regulator spring and diaphragm in was a real pain, and the old gasket was like baked clay; other than that, it was a real straight forward job.
View attachment 743461
View attachment 743462
ive seen a lot of split lines in the tank connecting the fuel pump to the sending unit cause stalling on these. it only takes a couple pounds of fuel pressure for a TBI engine to "run" but spec is 9-13psi. also, i'll take a look around in my library. i may have a factory paper service manual for you. what year is it?

ive seen a lot of split lines in the tank connecting the fuel pump to the sending unit cause stalling on these. it only takes a couple pounds of fuel pressure for a TBI engine to "run" but spec is 9-13psi. also, i'll take a look around in my library. i may have a factory paper service manual for you. what year is it?

It's an 89. I've already replaced the fuel pump and rubber lines in the sending unit if that's what you're referring too. Unfortunately, I don't have a way of testing fuel pressure at the moment.

The tried and true method for finding leaks connected to the fuel system is to spray carburetor cleaner in different locations. If the RPM goes up, you have found your vacuum leak. It worked great on motors with carburetors, but not sure about fuel injection - it still should work.

The tried and true method for finding leaks connected to the fuel system is to spray carburetor cleaner in different locations. If the RPM goes up, you have found your vacuum leak. It worked great on motors with carburetors, but not sure about fuel injection - it still should work.
I've already done that one and I'm leak free in those locations. My vacuum leak is in the HVAC vacuum system used to actuate blend doors. You're supposed to use a smoke machine to find them, but they cost an arm and leg.

I've already done that one and I'm leak free in those locations. My vacuum leak is in the HVAC vacuum system used to actuate blend doors. You're supposed to use a smoke machine to find them, but they cost an arm and leg.
if you have a vacuum leak in the HVAC system before the HVAC vacuum manifold then your engine has a vacuum leak because thats where the hvac gets its source vacuum from. that can cause stalling. what do you have the base timing set at? you set it with the timing connector disconnected?

if its a GM HEI distributor, a bad ICM or cap/rotor, pickup coil could cause stalling as well.

if you have a vacuum leak in the HVAC system before the HVAC vacuum manifold then your engine has a vacuum leak because thats where the hvac gets its source vacuum from. that can cause stalling. what do you have the base timing set at? you set it with the timing connector disconnected?

if its a GM HEI distributor, a bad ICM or cap/rotor, pickup coil could cause stalling as well.

I've never played around with timing before, I'll need to buy a light to see what it's at.

Project roof rack is taking shape. Cobbled up some mounts. Also took the family on our annual tree hunt.

IMG_20201124_131612332_HDR.jpg IMG_20201128_115445427_HDR.jpg

I bought a `77 3/4-ton 4x4 in Arizona for $800. I added some 35's and painted it desert camo. It was fun, but it also had fuel issues.

I still have a brand-new Summit Performance aluminum intake and cam and lifter set NIB sitting in my garage for it. Keep forgetting to put those on CL and get them out of my garage.

UcD9Da-pRx-7-5_2Wh7DyA.jpg

Sold it for $1200 and bought a `97 that I modified a bunch. Welded up my own roof rack for it. Should have kept that beast. Still have the perfect condition leather 3rd row seat for it in the garage. Another CL item that needs to go.

ZoUzPwTBQW65VrTUypzhUg.jpg

Well, the sad day has come, and I feel the need to abandon old Henry. I love what it could be, but it's just not getting there like I thought it would. It pains me, but financially just has to take sense, and this is costing a lot more than I first expected. Time to let someone else have some fun.

Sorry to hear that man. They can be money pits for sure! What changed your mind? Just a week ago you were fabbin up mounts for the roof rack.

I was making the roof mounts to tie a tree to for our annual Christmas tree hunt. While it did pretty good for that little trip, the more I drive it, the more I see how far it needs to go.

Before I started the whole project I was naively thinking it would cost about $5k to get all the drive train to where I wanted it. Low miles ls, manual trans swap, 1 ton axles and so on. As I started to work on it and try and sorce parts, I realized that was not happening. I've pretty much blown my budget and I don't even have a new engine.

Rebuilding the rear drums, new tires, and wheels was dang near $2000. Sourcing the hydraulic clutch pedal and bell housing assembly was way more than I ever thought as well.

I really want to finish it, but now is not the right time. I need a reliable driver.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top