JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've always wanted a project vehicle and boy did I finally get one. Affectionately named "Henry" after Henry McKenna (my favorite bourbon) this hunk cost me a whopping $1100, and I was even able to limp it the 20 miles home. This is probably the wrong forum to document my build, but this place is awesome and the only place I frequent.

I bought the rig from its original owner who lately had been using it solely for dump runs. With nearly 190k on the odo and a stench that would choke a donkey, I fell in love :s0114:. The real reason I picked it up was not what it had, but what it didn't have, and that was rust. Lots if these old square bodies have more rust and Bondo than you'd like to see. This one was in darn good shape as it's been a central Oregon vehicle all it's life.

The first order of business was to remove the interior as the smell of rotten meat and rotten cabbages was not going to impress the ladies.

IMG_20190708_195631011_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190710_153714640_HDR.jpg

Last Edited:
After all of that was removed, there was a bit of paint bubbling on the floor so I removed that with a wire brush and used an epoxy primer to seal it back up. IMG_20190725_133743687.jpg

First coat in.
IMG_20190725_200005062.jpg

Are you going to use custom replacements or original? Like - carpet, seats, etc. The exterior paint looks like it is in great shape. It could be an easy project or complicated if you are going the custom route. Have fun!!!:)

Last Edited:
Are you going to use custom replacements or original? Like - carpet, seats, etc. The exterior paint looks like it is in great shape. It could be an easy project or complicated if you are going the custom route. Have fun!!!:)

I'm definitely budget minded so probably not going to original. The plan is to do as much as I can by myself.

Continuing to clean out the interior and laying down the first layer of insulation. Also removed the rear ac/heat system. It would have been nice to keep, but just the replacement lines were over $1000 and in total would have run around $3000 to replace. I don't plan on having 3rd row seating anyways, so it's not the end of the world. IMG_20190815_145140683_HDR.jpg

This stuff is awesome but it takes forever to lay down.

What's the motor like? Gonna' throw a GM crate motor in? With an RV cam. :s0155:

I have an '84 GMC 1500 that I got new in '84. 180,000 on the odometer. About 8 years ago I had Major Murray put a GM crate 350. I need to have some body work and paint done to it. It's still got good bones.

I love old 'Burbs - Ref. our '49 which we have reconditioned in the spirit of the original design.
One thing to consider - since it's over 30 yrs old it doesn't have to be smog inspected. You can build the engine to run well.

What's the motor like? Gonna' throw a GM crate motor in? With an RV cam. :s0155:

I have an '84 GMC 1500 that I got new in '84. 180,000 on the odometer. About 8 years ago I had Major Murray put a GM crate 350. I need to have some body work and paint done to it. It's still got good bones.

It's okay for an old original sbc with 190 on the clock. It runs smooth but smokes real bad on start up. It's white smoke so probably eating some coolant? The engine also has a bad stalling issue once it's warm. It doesn't like to come to a stop or turn slowly, say in a parking lot. It's probably some tps sensor or another in the tbi system.

Once the funds allow, the plan is to swap in a ls. I really wanted a 6.0, but they're twice the price of the 5.3 so that's is probably what I'll end up getting.

Originally I wanted to build a 383, but after pricing it out the ls is quite a bit more budget friendly.

I love old 'Burbs - Ref. our '49 which we have reconditioned in the spirit of the original design.
One thing to consider - since it's over 30 yrs old it doesn't have to be smog inspected. You can build the engine to run well.

Thankfully there's no deq or smog testing in the sticks where I live. We can do whatever we want to our cars.

Going on this line. The "kid" dabbled in all kinds of kool stuff. Picket up an old Suburban, diesel. Didn't want diesel so sold that off and put a semi built 454 in that he did himself. And he didn't have to DEScrew it. He basically fiber glassed/epoxied a bunch of cancer in the cab and rattle can painted everything. Put in carpet/good seats. Stereo. If you looked at it real close you could see the work, didn't matter though, it was a solid ride and a runner. When he came over to the house I could hear the exhaust system from a block and a half away. Wasn't really loud, just powerful sounding with the Flow Master System. With 4" pipes I believe. He worked at a Midas shop! A few K miles it dropped a valve.:( He sold it for a song.

Looking forward to seeing what comes of this.

Thankfully there's no deq or smog testing in the sticks where I live. We can do whatever we want to our cars.
My present Toyota pickup came from some unknown land here in Oregon and the cat was removed long ago. Clackamas deq don't cotton to such shenanigans so I had to put in a brand new one that cost $100 that got me good with the government. yay Chinese universal cats

Going on this line. The "kid" dabbled in all kinds of kool stuff. Picket up an old Suburban, diesel. Didn't want diesel so sold that off and put a semi built 454 in that he did himself. And he didn't have to DEScrew it. He basically fiber glassed/epoxied a bunch of cancer in the cab and rattle can painted everything. Put in carpet/good seats. Stereo. If you looked at it real close you could see the work, didn't matter though, it was a solid ride and a runner. When he came over to the house I could hear the exhaust system from a block and a half away. Wasn't really loud, just powerful sounding with the Flow Master System. With 4" pipes I believe. He worked at a Midas shop! A few K miles it dropped a valve.:( He sold it for a song.

Looking forward to seeing what comes of this.

454 would be fun, but you'd never be able to pass a gas station :s0114:.

This is going to be an enjoyable thread to follow. Thanks for sharing.

I've often considered an older suburban for a camper type project.

454 would be fun, but you'd never be able to pass a gas station :s0114:.

No, that's total overkill. Unless you need a solid heavy-tow vehicle, "Gearing" man! My dream would have locking front hubs and limited slip rear-end. Don't need to get there fast, need to get any where I want to go, and back!

This is going to be an enjoyable thread to follow. Thanks for sharing.

I've often considered an older suburban for a camper type project.

That's exactly the reason for this build. By the time I loaded up my explorer with 2 kids, 2 dogs,and all the gear for camping, it was tetris trying to get it to fit.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top