JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking of getting a Henry carbine but then saw a NutNFancy video where he had a lot of feeding problems, possibly due to the rough aluminum feeding parts?

I also like the BL-22, not as conventional as the Henry in looks, but close enough, it has no problems and is not that much more (I would get the Midas version as I want it to be as small as possible).

I was in BiMart yesterday and they had some Henrys there. Looked at the rimfire and the action was slick like everybody says, but I looked inside the ejection port and sure enough there was a rough looking aluminum part there.

I think if you did some research, you'd find that Henry's originally used zinc-alloy castings. And the zinc-alloy (zamak) parts they use might hold up fine to rimfire ammo. Ya might even argue that zinc parts are self lubricating. The latest American Rifleman review I found now says the Henry rimfire receiver is aluminum. But if price is not of first concern, the Browning is a masterpiece compared to the Henry.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
I have a Henery .22lr and LOVE it.

Oddly enough, it may be my favorite gun for fun and small critters.

It may be an older one as it was a guys farm truck gun for rabbits and dinged up but I just wanted a plinker - didn't realize how much fun I would have with it.

Mine will run any combanation of .22 s/l/lr that I've fed it without a hitch and it has been shot a ton just in the few years I've had it.

Got laughed at by the guys with $1200 10/22's at one of Kimbers 22 steel speed shoot events and didn't beat their times but I beat a lot of folks with simi autos - it was a hoot.

I think if you did some research, you'd find that Henry's originally used zinc-alloy castings. And the zinc-alloy (zamak) parts they use might hold up fine to rimfire ammo. Ya might even argue that zinc parts are self lubricating. The latest American Rifleman review I found now says the Henry rimfire receiver is aluminum. But if price is not of first concern, the Browning is a masterpiece compared to the Henry.

WAYNO.
Never touched the browning but if price wasn't a factor I would get the browning or the Winchester
Or maybe another m39;)

I've seen Henry 22 frames oxidize and chip. They are not anodized. My BL22 may rust one day but it can be easily refinished. The BL22 is also lighter.

Why not consider used? Why restrict yourself?
New does not always equal better

In general, all else being equal, I prefer new because I do not know the history of a used firearm - even if someone claims their grandma only shot 10 rounds through it on a Sunday.

Also, new guns generally have a warranty.

Beyond that - I am guessing the 9422 is not easy to find and demands a premium price

I don't think I would go wrong with a Browning.

That's why my Winchester 9422 stays in the box. Plus there's no reason to shoot it since the Browning is a tack driver. :cool:

image.jpeg

Last Edited:
I want small and light.

I am 6'6" and 250#+, but for 22 RF I prefer small light firearms. Indeed, I prefer most of my rifles to be light carbines or even bullpups. Too bad nobody makes a good accurate reliable .22 RF bullpup - especially one that handles S/L/LR

I want small and light.

I am 6'6" and 250#+, but for 22 RF I prefer small light firearms. Indeed, I prefer most of my rifles to be light carbines or even bullpups. Too bad nobody makes a good accurate reliable .22 RF bullpup - especially one that handles S/L/LR

I thought I saw a bullpup stock for a Ruger 10/22 but it would not do the s/l's.

Never touched the browning but if price wasn't a factor I would get the browning or the Winchester
Or maybe another m39
I AM a fan of Henry (own a BB .357) but not the .22s - and ONLY due to the alloy frame.
I Previously owned a BL22 - GREAT rifle - buy one if you can find one.
I Currently own a Marlin Golden 39A - Great rifle and maybe a little easier to find than a Browning but not as light or as small. Buy one if you can find a JM marked one.

What don't you like about Marlin?
My lever action Marlin feels so well made, next to my old Winchester, and when you shake the Marlin it doesn't do the old Winchester rattle

I don't think that Marlin has made the 39A for a while.

They have it on their website, but I don't think they have done a production run for a while. I would prefer a takedown and I thought about it, but it would have to be a used one. Current production Marlins do not have a good reputation for quality.

I thought I saw a bullpup stock for a Ruger 10/22 but it would not do the s/l's.

Yes, and most of them suck - especially the Muzzlelite which is a POS.

There are a couple of quality ones - such as the Bunting, but they don't make the rifle any lighter, just smaller.

Plus I have enough .22 RF semi-auto rifles, I want/need some that are precise out of the box and will handle S/L/LR

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top