JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have my dad old .22 from Sears or something. It's a simi auto and feeds all 3 types. Unfortunately it seems to have the worlds worst trigger and I have a firing pin that I ordered 2 years ago that needs to go in it - but after trying the trigger a few times I'm in no hurry to fix it.

Last time I took a lever action gun shooting, I was telling it to "Giddy-Up--Do something"
before I remembered to cock it againo_O
6231164a5b20101589fecf66033bb509.jpg

Well, I realize you want new, and not a new Marlin, but I also wanted to sing the praises of the Marlin 39. I have a Mountie I traded from another member here several years ago and I LOVE IT. It'll handle anything .22, and is spooky accurate with shorts, of which it'll hold approximately a million rounds. Plus it's a takedown, but feels substantial and solid when it's put together. It'd be one I'd grab if the house were on fire.

So, in response to your desire for a new, light rifle, I'll recommend a used, heavy one. Sorry, but that's what comes of asking questions on the Internet...

I would buy the Browning BLR myself. Zamack is only good for cabinet hardware. I was an Engineering Manager at Weiser lock and made Zamack parts for hardware. I also had a Walther PPKS/.22 and could not rid myself of it fast enough. It had a Zamack frame and FTF/Stove piping every magazine with 4 different magazine, even after 300 rounds!

Winchester 9422. Bought my first one in 1975. i've had 3 of them. my last one my oldest son in Iowa now has. Best 22 i've ever shot and owned. And i've owned quite a few including the Henry Golden Boy. You'll have to buy on the secondary market and pay a premium, but it's worth it. I'm thinking of buying the Browning just because i've never had one and really like the looks of it.

I have never seen so many bad reviews of the Henry .22 Golden Boy. I own one and love it. It is accurate, runs all ammo that I have fed it and is the nicest looking of all of the lever action .22s. The action is smooth and well made. It comes with a lifetime guarantee. The only con that I can think of is the heavy weight, but I am 6'2" and 230 pounds, so it doesn't bother me. I have never seen a bad review and wonder where WAYNO saw one in American Rifleman.

I've always sort of pined after a Henry lever gun. My 1st hunting rifle was a long octagon barrelled '94 in 25-35 made in '03 I got from my mom's dad. I ignorantly let it go in my youth. Besides a Savage m99f .308 dad's dad bought in '57(I have the original paperwork and the gun, $129.50) those are the only 2 lever guns I've ever owned.
I've shot a Henry golden boy 22 a couple years ago and decided I could live w/out one. Last month a good friend brought over a Henry w/the gold receiver in 44 mag. to shoot at the range. He'd had it for a little while but hadn't shot it. He likes to buy/sell guns so has some fun ones sometimes. I have to say, my Henry desires were thoroughly extinguished that day. Like the newer batches of 94's compared to the older ones it's really obvious these are hi-volume production guns. I really don't want to knock Henry, I like what they stand for but I'll never have one unless someone gives it to me. It's just too bad that there isn't a little more fitting and finishing going into them to justify the price. Functionally they work fine but so do most other guns. I could find nothing redeeming about the .44 mag other than you could shoot a bunch of bullets quickly if you wanted and it's proudly made in 'Merica. It pounded the heck out of me, was hard to hit anything with and just didn't feel good. Sounds like a weeny talking huh? My elk rifle is a Rem 700 in 338 RUM, I'd rather shoot it and it's not really fun either.
Never had a Browning I didn't like, well mostly, but I really like BLR's. My cousin has a 243 and 308 BLR, great rifles. I have an older BAR in 300 Win mag, used to have a 30-06 BBR also great guns. Not to mention Hi-powers are just cool. The only Browning I'd hesitate to buy is a Buckmark, only because I think there are better options in the price range. If the choice were mine I'd go w/the Browning.

Last month a good friend brought over a Henry w/the gold receiver in 44 mag.
Well, actually that would be a BRASS receiver but who is arguing semantics? Reality being what it is yes the Henry is a production rifle (I don't know how HIGH production) but for a production rifle most find the fit and finish above par - and most certainly better than any other lever action rifles available new now.

I bought a brass Henry BB .357 last year purely on a 'whim'. I saw a brass Henry in a local store and almost passed it by thinking it was a .22 until I asked to see it and was surprised to see it was a .357 still on the shelf on a Saturday afternoon. Well I looked it over for nearly an hour and found the fit and finish to be better than I expected. The brass receiver was flawless, the bluing on the barrel deep and bright and the wood to metal fit nearly perfect. Well it was too late to buy it so they put in the back room for the next days purchase.

Picking it up the next day I came home and after doing nothing more than a spritz with some Rem Oil and wiping it down I loaded it up with 9 .357s and cycled it and it was slightly rough at first but after a few cycles of ammo it began to smooth up nicely and is now fantastic.

I could go on about it but I sold a Winchester Trapper .357 I owned for over 15 years that had been nothing but trouble. I actually got it to function satisfactorily only in the last couple years but that was only due to some very acute home gunsmithing on the internals after at least three complete teardowns and even then it was not perfect - but I wasn't going to turn down what I got for it.

The Henry is a much better than average rifle and priced comparatively to what few other lever actions are out there - I paid $697.00 for mine.

While not perfect the company has an excellent customer service history and reports of what they are doing for Henry owners are amazing and very few owners are coming away dissatisfied. Those who do are probably not dedicated lever action rifle owners (or experienced gun owners at all) and may never be satisfied with anything they own.

In conclusion I can cite several examples of 'modern' style rifles and handguns that are far less perfect than a new Henry and with almost no customer service to speak of.

... I have never seen a bad review and wonder where WAYNO saw one in American Rifleman.

I never said anything about a bad review. I repeated that originally, the receivers on Henry .22 rimfire lever guns were made of ZAMAK, a zinc alloy, and the latest review from the American Rifleman said the receiver is aluminum. That's all. Wondered actually if they have switched to aluminum receivers, or if they're still Zamak, and maybe the American Rifleman mis-spoke. And my opinion is, if price is no object, I'd rather have a Browning than a modern Henry.

WAYNO.

Henry Lever Action:Sight Mod and Range Review : Day At The Range

Henry Repeating Arms' .22 Trifecta

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews