JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody out have experience with the Henry 22lr levers? I'm looking at getting one with the octagon barrel and would like to get some experienced advice. Anybody think I should go with a different brand? I'm sold on lever action. It's probably my inner child still aspiring to be a cowboy:) I'm not necessarily sold on a Henry though. Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Erik

if thats what you can afford, then they are not that bad. mine has a really smooth action, but thats due to the newer mechanism used in them.

i prefer older winchesters/marlins.

Brownings BL22 is nice since the trigger goes with the lever and its a short throw to boot.

Anybody out have experience with the Henry 22lr levers? I'm looking at getting one with the octagon barrel and would like to get some experienced advice. Anybody think I should go with a different brand? I'm sold on lever action. It's probably my inner child still aspiring to be a cowboy:) I'm not necessarily sold on a Henry though. Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Erik

I've owned, and shot this exact gun (as pictured, less scope). Convinced me to go auto! Nice looking gun and it fired well, although I never found a scope that I thought suited it, and the hard-sights didn't work well for me.

My only real issue was feeding the 22s down the tube. It was a pain to do, and I never could remember how many I'd fed. Of course the retaining rod won't go back in place, if ya put in to many.

I think they are a bit spendy, for what they are, but ya can't beat a Ruger 10/22!

Frog.

i recently picked up their entry model lever-action and really enjoy it. smooth action and pretty darn accurate. if money is an issue i don't think you'd be disappointed.

i get what you mean, there's something about that lever-action...

I bought a Marlin 39a this spring after doing considerable research on the lever .22's. Had a little problem feeding the shorts but got that repaired and it is a jewel of a gun. There was about 15 guys at a gravel pit in Sunriver shooting a wide variety of guns and the one everyone wanted to shoot was the .22 lever. Pushing pop cans it was beating AR's and it has iron sights, it's a hoot to shoot.

The reason I went with the Marlin over the Henry was quality.

Happy shooting

i recently picked up their entry model lever-action and really enjoy it. smooth action and pretty darn accurate. if money is an issue i don't think you'd be disappointed.

i get what you mean, there's something about that lever-action...

I also have the Henry entry model lever-action, I love shooting it, shorts, longs, CB's mixed, no problem. Smooth and accurate, it's a fun gun to shoot.

Brownings BL22 is nice since the trigger goes with the lever and its a short throw to boot.

+2 for the BL22. I took one in trade 25 years ago. Love it! I used to pop the heads off of dandelions with it.
You won't pinch you finger on the trigger either!

I know what you mean about lever guns.
I've also got a Marlin 1894c (.38/.357)
Fantastic gun!

I have had an order in for a Marlin 1894c since March. I was told they have jumped in price by about 100 bucks since. The store indicated they would honor the price but it would take some time.

A few years ago my mom mentioned that she wished that she could go back to her younger years and do some things she had never done. This came up when I was showing some guns to my dad. Mom didn't like the looks of one of my rifles because of the black stock. I pulled out my Marlin 1894 and she said, "Yes. That's what a rifle should look like".
Her 72nd birthday was a few weeks away at that time. I bought her a Henry .22 and put an old Redfield 2.5x scope on it. (small scope, looks like a pistol scope. perfect for that gun)
Since then Dad bought her a reactive target and she loves it! I've shot it a bunch as has every member of our family. So for we've put about 1000 rounds thru it. There are a few things that seem to be a little cheezy looking (like the side plates), but I only paid something like $200 for the darn thing.

To sum that up, my experience with that Henry is noting except for positive. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. :s0155:

If you buy one, I doubt that you will be disappointed. Plus, it's made in the USA.

Last Edited:
My Henry Octagon 22. I actually shoot it without the scope. More fun I think. Thinking about getting a red fiber optic front sight for it. I know it ruins the period appeal, but I gain a more visible front sight. Also, if you're shooting 22LR, make your last one or two rounds in the tube a 22short. You'll know every time when you've fired the last round.

Also, rimfire central .com has a Henry forum where people have really done some great aesthetic work on these guns. Search the forum for "silver sheriff" and you'll see what I mean.

My Henry Octagon 22. I actually shoot it without the scope. More fun I think. Thinking about getting a red fiber optic front sight for it. I know it ruins the period appeal, but I gain a more visible front sight. Also, if you're shooting 22LR, make your last one or two rounds in the tube a 22short. You'll know every time when you've fired the last round.

Also, rimfire central .com has a Henry forum where people have really done some great aesthetic work on these guns. Search the forum for "silver sheriff" and you'll see what I mean.

can you guys see my image? it showed up when I clicked "submit reply", but I just came back to this thread and I don't see it. Hmmm.:confused:

That looks like the exact one I want. What did you pay for yours and how long ago? Also, do you like the standard loop lever? Henry offers a large loop to replace the standard one. Costs $50 and I don't know if that would be worth it or not.

I got it last summer (had to wait 2 weeks for special order though). Paid $360 about I think. Picked it up at Outdoor Emporium (http://www.sportco.com/productcart/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=46) in Seattle. Asked for a quote at a couple other Seattle-area stores and they were the only ones who came in under $400. They also had the best price on the ruger mark iii 22/45 that i bought at the same time ($269 - bull/blued).

The standard loop lever is suiting me just fine. I do like the look of the large loop, but its not worth it right now. I'd rather upgrade the sight and put the rest of the money toward ammo. The standard loop is plenty big for plinking. I guess maybe if you were going to CAS with it, you might like the extra room for gloves.

I love the herny, great gun. I love the lever action. almost as fast as a semi-auto, almost as accurate as a bolt action, with way more cool factor! I dont even shoot my 10/22 anymore. with that being said, I would save my money and start looking for a marlin 39a. they are a little more money, but whell worth the extra.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top