Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Help with MOLLE

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by ddwood13, May 25, 2015.

1. ddwood13

ddwood13 WA New Member

So I just bought a new backpack which has MOLLE attachments points on the side. (not sure if that's the correct verbiage but its the best description I could come up with). The help I need is with attaching a pouch to the side that faces up. The MOLLE is facing horizontal but I need the pouch to be vertical facing.

I've done a bit of searching and haven't found any pouches that attach horizontally but face vertically. Are there any adapters or something that can make this possible. I have included a picture of the side of my pack for reference. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SideView.jpg

2. Lilhigbee

Lilhigbee SE Portland Visit Target550.com Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Buy a pouch that fits your needs and take it to a shoemaker and have the attachments moved to where you want them. The shoemaker in Tualatin does things like this for us from time to time. It is inexpensive and allows you more flexibility to get what you want.

Hook686 and simpleguy like this.
  3. ddwood13

ddwood13 WA New Member

Can it still be moved around like normal or is it permanent?

4. Lilhigbee

Lilhigbee SE Portland Visit Target550.com Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

However you want it. They should be able to mount it permanently if that is what you want or retain it's portability if you prefer. Take your pack to them and tell them what you want to do.

5. Godzilla

Godzilla Battle Ground, WA Member

That spacing doesn't look like molle/pals. Rows of webbing are usually a webbing width apart.

7SFCW4 likes this.
  6. ddwood13

ddwood13 WA New Member

Now that I really look hard at it, I think you're right. It was fairly cheap, which would explain the discrepancy.

7. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Pack designer filled a blank spot with Molle-like straps, but facing 90 degrees off.
    Could use 4" MOD straps sewn at 90 degrees to your choice of pocket or pouch.

8. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster SE Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Use 3" malice clips from Tactical Tailor to make your own horizontal attach points that are properly
    spaced. Then thread on your pouches.

9. DingDongMF

DingDongMF Beaverton Member

As stated it doesn't look like MOLLE. I bet it's designed for clipping on climbing equipment.

10. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Paracord...just paracord the darn thing to it and call it good.

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  11. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Zip ties...o_O

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  12. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

l can solve your problem, for $210 (plus s&h)

13. ddwood13

ddwood13 WA New Member

Well if I knew it was that easy lol

14. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

15. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

MOLLE is an acronym for Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment, it describes the whole constellation of actual equipment, the standard for the webbing is called PALS for Pouch Attachment Ladder System. So the correct term is PALS, but in most cases, if you say MOLLE, people know what you're talking about.

Generally, the spec is 1" webbing with 1" spacing between the webs.

As far as what you've got on the side there is probably not to spec, you could try a 90deg adapter, a number of companies make them, tac tailor makes awesome stuff, but is a bit spendy, 5-11 is cheaper.

From the looks of it, you could probably get a seam ripper and lift up the tape and then sew it on properly. If you're not handy with a sewing machine, ask Scott over at SKTindustries (he's local to seattle, and usually works the WAC shows) if he would be willing to make the alterations for you.

If it is a cheap pack, you may want to just get a non-PALS pouch and sew it on to the side, or tie it on...

16. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ditto with the Zip Ties! Very cheap, available and strong!

Riot likes this.
  17. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Nothing like some fricasseed mole!

th?&id=JN.FZUI%2bPtt3ItkO52nIVWC5w&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

erudne likes this.
  18. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter