Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Help with .44 mag crimp

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by sprink, Feb 22, 2016.

1. sprink

sprink Battle Ground, WA Member

I've only ever reloaded rifle cases so handgun rounds are very new to me. I'm using a Redding profile crimp die and not sure what is considered "lite" and "heavy" crimps so I've loaded a few dummy rounds in hopes the more experienced handgun reloaders will chime in:). Thanks for the help.

image.jpg

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Dyjital and edslhead like this.
  3. ditchtiger

ditchtiger In the sticks, Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

One hand to pull the reloading press lever down is lite. 2 hands to pull down is heavy.
    Don't take this seriously:eek:

Dyjital likes this.
  4. sprink

So the case on the left you're saying is good? Would the left cases crimp be considered lite or heavy? I have H110 I want to use for a deer load and it says to use a heavy crimp and my plinking loads will be with Unique under cast bullets.

5. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

The one on the left has the correct amount of crimp. When you start
    seeing that line below the case mouth as in the center and right cases
    that indicates too much crimp. I would seat the bullet a little further out.
    The cases don't look like they are sized? I don't see the bulge in the case
    from the bullet?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  6. sprink

The brass hasn't been sized. It's new brass and I just grabbed three cases for dummy rounds to get some pics of varying crimps.

7. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Unless you are limited by cylinder length, I would not set the bullet quite that deep into the case, like ron suggested.
    The case on the left is closest to what I would like to see. The other two are crimped way too much.
    I can see a little swell from teh bullets being seated, but it would be a good idea to size them and check length before loading. If you're not crimping rifle ammo, you can cheat on the length, but in a handgun that you're going to crimp, it's wise to have all cases the same length.

8. fxdc

fxdc Da Valley USPSA, SPEED STEEL, IDPA, 3 GUN

So is there not a OAL for 44mag in a manual?

9. sprink

In the pic the bullets are Hornady 265gr FP, found three new cases that were already at 1.275" and COAL is 1.610". The cases in the picture are loaded exactly to Horandys specs. Also I'm loading for a Henry lever gun so I'm not sure how much longer I can go and have it feed smoothly.

10. Hayshaker

Hayshaker Irrigon Active Member

Look up 44 mag on the inter net and you will find case ovl and a lot of other info. Been reloading 44mag for over 50 years ~~ only with cast/gas checked bullets. Crimp grove is on those bullets.. The closer to max load the better the crimp needs to be or you bullets will come out on recoil. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

11. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Just enough to not catch a fingernail when running down. At least that's what Deadeye told me at his kitchen table years ago.

Seriously though the first looks perfect. Run case up and die down until the crimp kisses the neck then just a little more and call it done.

I'm running a little heavy, but also because I'm using these in a lever and I don't want any lip to hang while feeding the pistol.

Handloads on left, factory Hornady Custom on right. Both 240gr XTP's.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    BlindedByScience likes this.
  12. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

Your #1 and Dyjtal's hand load look very nice to me. For .44 Mag I like to see the top of the case rolled into the cannelure, but your #2 and #3 are a little over crimped, even for a reasonably hot round. IMHO......

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Dyjital likes this.
  13. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My first 44 mag loads were for my Ruger SBH and proved too long when I acquired my Henry. I was using a HSM 240 gr fp, pal of 1.645. Had to go down to 1.610. End of feed problem.

14. sprink

Thank you to everyone who has replied, it's much appreciated.

Dyjital likes this.
  15. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter