JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need some help from all of you. I am getting a new pistol tomorrow and can't decide which one as I have never had these before. I am looking for a future carry gun/home defense/range gun. My choices:

A Springfield XDM 40 brand new.

A Rock Island 1911 .45 that is chromed..brand new

A used 3rd gen Glock G22 in excellent shape.

The Rock island is the cheapest followed by the Glock at $25 more and the XDM at $159 more than the Rock Island.
I have never owned a 1911 before but always wanted to try it out..is Rock Island any good? The bling bling part of the chrome kind of bugs me and it is military style so cant change out the front site easily. I have owned 2 XD's but not an XDm, I have had a G22 and didn't care for the way it lined up with a target for me in my hand.....
Could also go with a barely used CZ 75bd but not much of a 9mm fan:huh:

1911's cover the whole range from just awful to excellent. I spent probably $500 making my 1991-A1 run the way I wanted it to. Without seeing and (really) shooting the Rock Island it's about impossible to say.

Chances are the G22 will be reliable and have a somewhat odd mushy trigger but shoot great anyway. I have a LEO friend whose dept. issues the G22 and he's very pleased with it. I have a G21 and am very pleased with mine, too, odd trigger notwithstanding.

Can't speak to the XDM one way or another

I owned a XDM 40 for a short time felt great in my hands but that was it I did not care for the trigger pull and did not want to spend the extra $$ for a trigger job to try and make it better.

I have never owned a Glock but will likely buy a G29 or possibly a G30 soon just to give them a fair shake, plus I really like to 10mm cartridge and a G29 will look nice next to my DE RZ10

I have a personally preference for the 1911 pistols, and I would personally take a chance on the RI 1911 if I had to choose one.

For sure every pistol shooter should have one 1911. If you have the money/time/ and or /skill/gunsmith to fiddle properly with one, it's a very rewarding experience to get your 1911 tuned up just the way you like it.

Not the least expensive road to pistol bliss, probably.

Nothing wrong with 9mm, in fact with the proper defence ammo it is excellent, much easier to shoot then .45, cheaper too. That CZ is a superb pistol that will funtion much better then the Rock Island. The CZ will feed anything. Take the gun in your hand and see how easy it is to line up. I'm an old Colt Combat Commander carrier and have switched to 9mm. Right now in the process of wether to carry my Sig or CZ. I would vote for the CZ and never look back,unless you just have to have a 1911. Bill

Thank you for all your experiences. I just put 100 rds through my newly acquired CZ 75BD with great accuracy and hickup free with two kinds of ammo. (my name is in for a tactical rock island also soon as I can find one)

The cz was on the original post but not really talked about. I checked out ALOT of reviews online for them all and never found any negatives about the cz.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top