Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Help choosing bullets for conversion cylinder Remington 1858

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by taylor, Dec 9, 2013.

1. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I have an Uberti 1858 Remington w/a .45 Colt conversion cylinder. The Uberti specs are; bore .440
    groove .458
    wide .10
    twist 1:18
    Keeping all this in mind plus the fact the original load featured a .454-.457 136gn roundball, how should I proceed to achieve decent accuracy? I was thinking of using 265gn lead for a .455 Webley, or should I try and find a lighter bullet(150gn or so) in .454?
    I would appreciate any help at all, most threads deal with powder loads and I'll go there after I figure what bullet to use.

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

So it came with another cylinder? What you are saying is a bit confusing.
    I understand it's a "conversion" percussion revolver.. of recent manufacture and copies or is a pattern of, after a fashion, a "converted" revolver.
    It's either a .45 Colt caliber or it's not.. forget about what was regarding round balls and whatnot.

3. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I bought it as a straight .44 cap and ball made recently by Uberti. I saw advertised conversion cylinders made by Kirst that required no fitting just remove your percussion cylinder and replace with a .45 Colt cylinder that has a firing pin in front of each chamber. these are becoming quite popular as you can use "Cowboy loads up to 1000fps.
    The specs I listed are for the Uberti 1858 Remington barrel which is close enough to a .45 Colt so the conversion cylinders will work in it.
    I should have been more specific. I apologize.

4. saxon

saxon springfield Active Member