JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got a couple of new holsters from Milt Sparks. While the PMK that I got for my SP101 has broken in nicely, I'm having a much harder time breaking the Axiom OWB holster I got for my CBOB.

I did what the Milt Sparks guys said in putting the pistol in the bag it came in and putting it in the holster to stretch it out a little. Heck, I even put TWO bags on it and left it in the holster for several days. I have not worn it extensively, but I usually wear it for about 1/2 hour each evening to see if that will loosen it up.

When I first got the holster, I shoved my CBOB in it and thought I would never get it out the fit was so tight.

I called Milt Sparks and they just said I was doing the right things and to give it time.

I can draw the gun now, but I have to really yank on it to get it to come free.
I know the revolver holster was easier to break in as once your clear the cylinder, you're home free, but with a 1911, the holster is gripping the whole length of the slide.

Any other advice out there on how to break in a really tight holster other than to just give it time? This is an open top holster so I realize it is intentionally tight to aid in retention, but I feel like I'm going to rip the belt loops off on my jeans at some point.

Long winded post, but thanks for any advice.

What about oiling the holster and baking it at low temperatures like a baseball glove? Galco has oil they sell and recommend its use to break in holsters.

What about oiling the holster and baking it at low temperatures like a baseball glove? Galco has oil they sell and recommend its use to break in holsters.

I had thought about that. I used to break in baseball gloves using neetsfoot (sp?) oil, but the Milt Sparks guys say doing that will actually make the holster too loose. It kind of makes sense, as you want to keep the holster stiff enough to retain the pistol without making it so loose that you chance loosing it while being active, particularly since this is an open top holster.

Well, so much for my advice.:) Good to know that your holster leather is stiff rather than too loose. How many times have you inserted and removed your CBOB from the holster?

stick it under the mattress with the gun or something similar in shape inside the holster and maybe use a little bag balm or anything with lanolin in it. I've done that with mits and holsters and the combination of that and wearing/using it for a couple hours a day worked for me.

Well, so much for my advice.:) Good to know that your holster leather is stiff rather than too loose. How many times have you inserted and removed your CBOB from the holster?

Hey, the advice was appreciated, just already been down that route. :) We think alike. I have now been wearing the holster and repeatedly drawing and reholstering the pistol. It doesn't seen to be having any measurable effect yet, but I will keep trying. Maybe I'm just too impatient and am looking to the special holster Ninja to make it just so. :s0114:

I don't think it's so much an issue of softening the leather as it it to stretching the leather.

stick it under the mattress with the gun or something similar in shape inside the holster and maybe use a little bag balm or anything with lanolin in it. I've done that with mits and holsters and the combination of that and wearing/using it for a couple hours a day worked for me.

Interesting idea. Did you apply the bag balm internally, externally, or both? Did it effect the finish of the pistol?

try either putting your pistol in a couple plastic bag's or wrapping in (yes it sounds stupid) a few layers of tin foil and letting it sit for a ouple days. Once the the leather has beeen shaped it takes some time to open up. Leather is generally formed wet, as it dries it shrinks a bit and froms to the gun

try either putting your pistol in a couple plastic bag's or wrapping in (yes it sounds stupid) a few layers of tin foil and letting it sit for a ouple days. Once the the leather has beeen shaped it takes some time to open up. Leather is generally formed wet, as it dries it shrinks a bit and froms to the gun

I think I may try something like this. I don't particularly want to lubricate holster as that may make it to loose to effectively retain the pistol, but stretching the holster by adding layers of material makes sense. Not sure if I will use tin foil, but I may visit a craft shop with the wife to see what effective wrapping materials might be appropriate.

I've used a little silicone lubricant spray. The fit was still tight, but after 500-600 draws (adding spray as needed), my glock fit in its holster just great. The rough leather in the holster needs to get worn down a little and the silicone lowers the friction enough to move the gun in and out until that happens. I also left my gun in the holster whenever I was not wearing it until it was broken in.

Yeah - 50 presentations a night for ten nights on a safe backstop... I bet that helps. Would be good practice for you too. I have used silicone spray as well but never used it on leather, just the Safarilaminiates.... sounds like it wouldnt hurt.

Silicone lubricant and multiple presentations sounds like it might be the answer. If I wasn't so satisfied with the function of the PMK holster for my SP101 I might be sending the Axiom holster back, but it sounds like I just need to take some more time and a better break in routine.

These are only the second really "custom" holsters I have ever bought. The other was a Kirkpatrick mini-paddle holster for the SP101. While it serves it's purpose for a quick on and off holster, it's pretty much sitting in the safe now that I have the PMK.

I agree with 'swampertwo'. That is the method I used on my Galco IWB ... that and some patience, use, and a couple of hundred draws while sitting around the house. I would avoid any lube, spray, or oil.

I got that advice straight from John at 5Shot Leather--definitely don't use lubes or sprays as that will tend to soften the leather.
Just patience and work at it as stated above.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top