JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all!

I am a current student at Oregon State University (Go Beavs), and reside in Portland for the summers. I am new to the site and wanted to introduce myself. I am a California native, raised in Bend, and went to high school in Portland. I like to think of myself as an Oregonian now. Anyway, I am a first generation gun owner in my (immediate) family, and look forward to sharing my love of the sport down.

My current collection is small (poor college student), but I hope to build it up soon!
Currently I own:
  • Remington 870 28" super mag (Of course, who doesn't)
  • Bushmaster XM15 w/Palmetto arms upper, magpul furniture, and a vortex strikefire II red dot
  • Mosin Nagant 91/59 carbine
Also looking for suggestions on my first handgun. I am a huge fan of 1911's, and have been looking into the best brands for these without spending too much money. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Also interested in the basics, Glocks, Berettas, etc.

Thanks!

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

I'd suggest spending some time handling assorted handguns. See what feels good in hand. For SD it's better to go with the largest caliber that you can handle comfortably. Shot placement is what you're after. A bunch of fast misses don't compare to one good hit. Take some time, read some reviews, try and shoot a few. Some ranges rent guns, so give that a go too. Good luck and welcome.

Hi all!

I am a current student at Oregon State University (Go Beavs), and reside in Portland for the summers. I am new to the site and wanted to introduce myself. I am a California native, raised in Bend, and went to high school in Portland. I like to think of myself as an Oregonian now. Anyway, I am a first generation gun owner in my (immediate) family, and look forward to sharing my love of the sport down.

My current collection is small (poor college student), but I hope to build it up soon!
Currently I own:
  • Remington 870 28" super mag (Of course, who doesn't)
  • Bushmaster XM15 w/Palmetto arms upper, magpul furniture, and a vortex strikefire II red dot
  • Mosin Nagant 91/59 carbine
Also looking for suggestions on my first handgun. I am a huge fan of 1911's, and have been looking into the best brands for these without spending too much money. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Also interested in the basics, Glocks, Berettas, etc.

Thanks!

I'm in Corvallis and have a number of gun's you can test drive. My Grandson starts OSU this fall. Get ahold of me when you get back to Corvallis. Ken

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on being that guy in your family to be a gun enthusiast. I was that guy too, in my family.

On your first pistol I know of a few recommendations for a poor college kid to get into.

I obviously have fallen in love with the Ruger 9E. I believe sportsman's had the one I got for 320 out the door. If you can get one for under 350, just buy it. Absolutely the best bargain pistol, imo! The ergonomics are nice. The trigger is nice. Only comes with one mag but most places have extra mags on hand.

Another affordable option is talk to ffl's and see who can order you the cheapest deal on a police trade in Glock, m&p, ect.

I'm not a fan of them because my hands are too big or my index finger is too long for them, but a new Taurus pt111 is about 250 out the door at most shops and they work.

Welcome to the forum!
As for getting a 1911 style pistol ... I'd suggest a basic as close to GI issue one.
You can "learn" on this ... and later if you feel you need to add anything on , it is fairly easy to do or have done.
Plus it may be cheaper than buying a pistol with a "must have addition" , only to find out that the "must have" is a "least wanted".
Andy

Welcome to the forum!
As for getting a 1911 style pistol ... I'd suggest a basic as close to GI issue one.
You can "learn" on this ... and later if you feel you need to add anything on , it is fairly easy to do or have done.
Plus it may be cheaper than buying a pistol with a "must have addition" , only to find out that the "must have" is a "least wanted".
Andy
+1 welcome.

Springfield Armory has a number of reasonably priced 1911's at different price points with various features. And like Andy says, you can add other things as they become important (without spending Kimber bucks on day-one). Exactly like accessorizing a GI Joe with all the right gear... 'cept different.

Of course, it depends upon what you want a particular pistol for. I LOVE my 1911, but at only 6'1"/200, I no longer find it easy to conceal since I don't wear a suit or sport coat anymore. But if I ever need to go watch somebody get married or buried...

If you're not in a big hurry, you can drool over dozens of pistols, calibers and configurations at gun shows. Rickreal and Albany come to mind in your neck of the woods. If the high-volume dealers aren't there, then a Portland or Hillsboro show will have tables and tables of guns to grope.

Welcome!

Good to see another local! Keep the eye on this thread and don't be afraid to ask for a shooting partner.

Welcome to the forum.

Since you're on a budget, I recommend any .22lr automatic. A Ruger 10/22 or mark series would be just fine.
9mm doesn't hurt the wallet as much as .45 either.
Sig makes a fine gun, but they generally aren't cheap.
All depends on your intended use...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads