JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My ears have started to get a buzzing sound in them so I am in the market for a new set.
I am open to any kind really but the better the protection the better. I am not a big fan of the over the ear muff types but they will work and I honestly don't want to blow $700 on the in the ear types really.

Any recommendations ?

I have hearing loss from the military, mostly pistols and F-4 Phantoms. Use whatever you can get your hands on, because trust me, once you lose your hearing, it ain't coming back. To preserve what hearing I have left, I use foam plugs plus electronic muffs while shooting. The V.A. provides hearing aids, but it's not the same as natural hearing.

Great link to those muffs with a NR of 34. On sale for 25 bucks with free shipping how can I not jump on it? While in the valley of the deaf the man with hearing in one ear might be king, to constantly be say, 'What?' sure sucks.

I also am not a big fan of earmuffs, mainly because I have a small head so they don't usually fit well, but the benefits far outweigh the nuisance factor. I use the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs with foam ear plugs underneath, usually with the volume cranked all the way up. I got a two pack of them from Amazon for right around 75 bucks. They are also pretty thin so there isn't any interference when shouldering a rifle or shotgun.

The final straw for my hearing was a tactical landing in Sarajevo a while back. It frankly most of left us reeling. The nav, the loadmaster, my boss and I all had bleeding ears when we got off the plane and my boss was subsequently invalided out of the RAF with HUGE compensation cheque. Mine is paid in much smaller monthly instalments added to other military injuries. I slowly recovered much of my former hearing level over a period of about six months, but permanent damage had been done and the decline had become wellset-in. I now wear costy aids, but bleeve me, they ain't the same thing.

I'd worn hearing protection since it became generally available and bought the best that I could afford. All in vain. I have only around 25% of my hearing left. I miss the birds, I miss the middle range of the oboe that I loved so much as well as the choral music that used to give me such genuine joy. And I miss out on a lot of my wife's voice, too.

Some say that that might not be so bad, after all, it's mostly honey-do's, right?

Wrong. She has a beautiful voice, whether she's shouting at me or not.

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads