JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@Argonaut
HBC did ya say....
Here is my buddy Dave with our HBC flag...:D

P1120140.JPG

Yeah HBC was all up and down through here ...just no permanent posts or forts in my immediate area.
Andy

@Argonaut
HBC did ya say....
Here is my buddy Dave with our HBC flag...:D

View attachment 486475

Yeah HBC was all up and down through here ...just no permanent posts or forts in my immediate area.
Andy
I think they were the originators of Ft Hall in south eastern Idaho that became a very important stop on the Oregon trail. Those guys got around........I haven't studied it, but they must have had a large facility in Vancouver? Great photo. I need to buy a fringe coat. Do you have a source?

I think they were the originators of Ft Hall in south eastern Idaho that became a very important stop on the Oregon trail. Those guys got around........I haven't studied it, but they must have had a large facility in Vancouver? Great photo. I need to buy a fringe coat. Do you have a source?

Ft. Vancouver was indeed a HBC concern...Ft. Hall was started by Nate Wyeth...a Independent fur trader from New England.

As for a buckskin coat...many folks make them....many however are not historically correct.
Dave's ( mine now ) was hand made by Dave from brain tan elk.
The best maker of buckskin clothing that I have seen is :
The Stitching Scotsman he is somewhere in Idaho...and on facebook...I wish I had better contact information for you.
He is an artist...but be warned a well made / hand made coat will be in the $300 and up range....
Andy

Ft. Vancouver was indeed a HBC concern...Ft. Hall was started by Nate Wyeth...a Independent fur trader from New England.

As for a buckskin coat...many folks make them....many however are not historically correct.
Dave's ( mine now ) was hand made by Dave from brain tan elk.
The best maker of buckskin clothing that I have seen is :
The Stitching Scotsman he is somewhere in Idaho...and on facebook...I wish I had better contact information for you.
He is an artist...but be warned a well made / hand made coat will be in the $300 and up range....
Andy
I figured a good one would approach 1,000.............my good British wool blazers are over that these days. I will look him up. Thanks for the help..........my folks taught school in a one room schoolhouse on Ft Hall in the 40's before I was born. Lots of stories.

2nd weekend in August ( 10th , 11th and 12th )
Greene's Gunshop / The Hawken Shop
4778 Monkey Hill Rd.
Oak Harbor
Whidbey Island Wa.

Open to the public ...Visitors free and family friendly
$25.00 camp and shooter fee
And I'll be there with a display of antique rifles...that you all can hold and even shoot.
Lots of great folks will be there and plenty to see and do.
Hope to see you there...! :D
Andy

View attachment 477301
Putting things in perspective, those mumbling about safe dings to their guns should be ashamed when juxtaposed to your traveling with all those guns, being constantly handled by not just you but others, and still looking so wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

Crap, I would have loved to run up there on my motorbike and seen this, but I'll be in Zillah drinking wine with my better half. Is this an annual event?

@Argonaut...
You are welcome...good luck in your search.
I forgot to add that Ft. Hall was bought out by HBC so they had a huge presence in the area...

@DB Wesner
Yep it is an annual event...always the second weekend in August...

@thorborg ...
You are welcome...
Dave and I always felt that history can seem remote or removed when viewed behind glass....to hear a history...then be handed a gun that is of the time period or even might have been there...not to forget to mention , that some of them we ( I ) even allow you to shoot....brings it alive.

Our Museum's motto is :
"Don't let history , become a thing of the past..."
Andy

One thing if you can afford it...
Proper brain tan....will not get too hot even in 90 odd degrees...it tends to "breathe" and let the air flow...yet it is also surprising warm in winter...
It will also return to its size and shape after being in the rain.....
Andy

I went and shot a few rounds with Andy today .
I only fired two shots . because when I got there Andy was in the middle of the contest.but I followed him and his Shooting partner .
When they got done they both let me shoot there guns .then we took a break and walked around looking at stuff . pretty cool every one was really nice .I had a great time .then it started to rain heavy .we had to grab his gun's and gear and pack them under cover.
I post a few pictures I didn't take alot because I didn't want disturb the contest.

I guess I will admit . Andy let me shoot his gun I tried a 35 40 yard shot at a gong and missed .
Then used his SHOOTING partner gun at a 25 yard shot at a gong and hit that one lol .

I told Andy I would wait to post but I can't wait so that's it .but I will say this everyone was extremely welcomed there where lots of people asking questions .and of course Andy was in his full . teacher mode and I got to see him in action AGAIN with adults and kids . AWSOM

Got a card from a guy .one of Andy friends who had some very nice guns for sale .and one was a left hand gun .I think im going to contact him about that one .any way it was a good day and of course .
I was with Andy so I learned a lot.

A big THANK YOU to EPS for helping me get my rifles and gear out of the rain storm....
I owe you a beer or two....:D

Rendezvous was a blast...pun intended...lots of folks stopped by ...some shooting.... Got see EPS and hang out with him a bit...he is a very cool guy.
@EPS....Glad to hear you had a good time....I'll make a Mountain man out of you yet....:D

We had shots from about 25 - 60ish yards...one fun one was when you had to call your shot and hit a poker chip.
Out of 15 targets on the trail walk I missed two...gotta practice more....:D
Andy

Yep I think I'm gonna contact Dan about that lefty gun he had .I got his card and phone number . maybe next week .
He said he lives in Arlington so it's not a far drive from my house

I had a good time its a layed back group
I will probably try building one of the pistol kits and just buy a long GUN I like that lefty.that was cool

Dan is a great rifle builder and a excellent guy...very honest and a fine craftsman.
Was the stock long enough for you on that rifle...?
Yeah they are a laid back group...
I have a group of friends there and do a lot of shooting together , BSing and when the shooting is done some great eating and a bit of drinking 'round a campfire....good times.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads