JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For all the negative cry babies, I have talked to the higher ups, The reason there is a fee is to pay for the 7.5 Million dollars average in damage on equipment and property a year that they had for the last 10 yrs, Gates did not work so now they charge a fee. Its not about revenue its about maintenance and keeping things fixed that idiots screw up. And they still provide public access you just have to pay, Which if any of you actually took the time to read laws instead of using Hear say then you find out there is nothing restricting the usage of a fee to access property because it still allows the public to use it..Look at Federal lands and state lands you get to pay a fee to use them too, Which is the real crime here. So stop your crying grow a pair buck up pay a fee or stay home. But back to the OP question hunting is hunting one spot really isnt better than another on timberlands its all about the time you spend figuring out the animals.

Well gunnerboy, thats just fine. I'm a cry baby.... And based on your tirade, I believe "boy" was an appropriate moniker you gave yourself. Since you asked the "higher ups" it follows that you are feeding at the timber company trough. Do they have damage?...no doubt. Does it come from hunters? I am thinking not so much based on my personal observations over the last 50 years. And of course they have just absorbed those costs all these years and never raised their prices to consumers to offset the costs of doing business, right? Oh, by the way, they charge the State game guys to access the property too.... no doubt to recoup costs from all the damage they do....Its not about raping the public hunting community because they can.....But what the hell do I know, right? I'm just an old man who grew up hunting when it was as American as baseball and apple pie...oh yeah and a cry baby.... You want to swallow that timber company Koolaide....ok fine..... Just don't you be a cry baby when your kids and grandkids have nowhere to go to get away in the woods in the years to come unless they can sell an organ and come up with the money. I will be long gone by then, but its coming just as sure as night is dark and day is light. And all brought to you by the subsidized greed of Weyerhauser. Have another hit of that koolaid and ignore that funny after taste of injustice.

I have been told that if you hunt on Weyerhaeuser property to have a cutting torch on your truck bed. There are enough pissed off hunters you may find that the gate has been messed with where the gates lock doesn't work once you get in
How much truth to this i don't know but I don't wish to find out first hand.

Torch isn't needed,just a cut off saw...:) I've taken several Bulls and Bucks off Weyerhaeuser in Molalla. I never paid the fee's they get now though.

Most harvests was from a bicycle pushing up hill at 3AM.

232502614467_1.jpg

I'm hunting on Weyco land with a non-motorized permit. I don't mind paying $50. I don't like it, but I don't mind the fact that there aren't a lot of people out there. We used to hunt a small piece of Weyco land in the BattleGround unit. Basically had it all to ourselves and would get deer every year. They sold that tract last year so now there is no more access to our little private honey hole. Would rather pay $50, then not have access.
We are hunting the Columbia East-Yacolt tract in the Washougal unit. Saw 3 walk-in permit holders, 5 trucks, 9 does and 13 elk. No bucks yet. Saw more people walking today.
It sucks that we have to pay, but $50 and access is better than a big middle finger and no trespassing period.

For all the negative cry babies, I have talked to the higher ups, The reason there is a fee is to pay for the 7.5 Million dollars average in damage on equipment and property a year that they had for the last 10 yrs, Gates did not work so now they charge a fee. Its not about revenue its about maintenance and keeping things fixed that idiots screw up.

Lol, 7.5M damage by yahoos annually. If that were true theyd lock those gates for all.... The few rich hunters that can pay for vehicle access arent earning the 7.5M.

Uhh dude you realize they are a nationwide company...ever buy a 200k piece of machinery? Doesn't take much to get to 7.5mil...an for the dumbass above I don't drink coolaid and no they do not charge police to patrol there property your half a cell to mentally retarded if you think that..they actually PAY the officers to patrol in there off time. And yes ive seen plenty of Russians damaging equipment while hunting they steal lots of mechanical parts and even bulldozers !

The OP asked if it was worth it to pay to hunt Weyco property. He didn't ask us to call each other names and insult each other over our opinions.
Weyco makes plenty of money in their business dealings. Charging for access is now part of their business.
Is it worth it? That depends on your financial situation. I personally don't think that a motorized permit is worth it because of the restrictions on the permit and my ability to still be-able to hike in.
When I can no longer hike in I will most definitely not be buying an access permit and will hunt elsewhere.

I have hunted what is now Weyerhauser land for many years. Before them it was owned by Longview Fiber and before them by Publishers Paper. These owners offered free road access during hunting season and free walk-in access year round. I was personally acquainted with their local managers and I think I understood some of their frustration with the problems that allowing free access created for them.

No one who has lived thru the three changes of ownership that I have seen can deny that depredations on the land by the low-life element have steadily increased. While I don't especially like paying the fee, I can hardly blame them for utilizing this method in a effort to control the problem. The bonus to me is that I know I will encounter less of the low-life element, and that, in itself, makes the fee worth it to me. It's no fun to wander into what turns out to be an abandoned meth lab. Or to encounter a bunch of drunken fools partying with guns. I have, I know. And that's the reality that managers of all timberlands, public and private, have to contend with.

Bottom line is that it is their land and it is private property and that means that they get to set the terms and conditions of its use. Past practices of previous owners are irrelevant. And the fact that they are a large corporation with certain business practices I might not approve of is also irrelevant.

And because I was able to access that land for decades and for free does not endow me with special rights to continue to do so. Trespass is not something I will tolerate on my land, so I can hardly justify trespassing on the land of another.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that their permit does not allow "target shooting". If they did, they know they would see the dumping, the trash and other typical kinds of disrespect that we see on our public lands.

I have hunted what is now Weyerhauser land for many years. Before them it was owned by Longview Fiber and before them by Publishers Paper. These owners offered free road access during hunting season and free walk-in access year round.

I could be wrong, but years ago logging companies were quite friendly with hunters because they wanted their votes as back then the environmentals were gearing up harder over habitat and spotted owls and such. Eventually the logging companies lost that battle anyways, and so now it doesn't matter so much who votes... and given the trash, and liability to their equipment they put the gates up. I have no doubt that equipment has been damaged or vandalized but its my understanding that many of these lands were sold under the premise that they still allow some form of recreation access, its easier to get the public to sell off the lands that way. So they simply charge dearly for it. But it makes no sense that they actually want anyone there, or that they make enough money off hunters to make up for equipment back there that no longer sees the vandals. All this adds up for a limited amount of people back there.... Is it worth it, probably I would say most likely yes. I wont do it but it only makes sense not only will there be less people but the herds naturally will migrate over time to where there is less pressure. If you can afford it go for it.

Uhh dude you realize they are a nationwide company...ever buy a 200k piece of machinery? Doesn't take much to get to 7.5mil...an for the dumbass above I don't drink coolaid and no they do not charge police to patrol there property your half a cell to mentally retarded if you think that..they actually PAY the officers to patrol in there off time. And yes ive seen plenty of Russians damaging equipment while hunting they steal lots of mechanical parts and even bulldozers !

Hey, "boy" you're the one who started down this path.... maybe you need remedial reading assistance.... check my post... I said "game guys" aka game wardens...not cops. and I got that straight from the state game dept.... so who's the "dumbass" now? Yeah... not me...take a close look in the mirror and you'll get your answer if you need a hint.

And if you want to whip out intellect comparisons you really shouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight... By the way champ, wrong use of the word "there".... It should be "....their property" not "there property" Normally I wouldn't give a tinkers dammed, but you are obviously under the false impression that your head is good for something besides a hat rack.

But hey, just keep doing what your doing and you will screw all the future generations... atta "boy".

I don't know why I even bother responding to some of the primordial soup posted on here sometimes....I have had more intelligent conversations with trees.

Hey, "boy" you're the one who started down this path.... maybe you need remedial reading assistance.... check my post... I said "game guys" aka game wardens...not cops. and I got that straight from the state game dept.... so who's the "dumbass" now? Yeah... not me...take a close look in the mirror and you'll get your answer if you need a hint.
Uhh you are mentally handicapped the game dept does not pay to patrol...they get paid..I know all the game wardens here and each one takes home a fat weyerhauser check for running around on that property, Also being your ignorant to the matter, Local sheriff deputies and off duty police officers have been given the right and jurisdiction to patrol the lands and arrest, fine, or kick out violators..Come back when you got your facts straight. And as for ruining future generations what are we suppose to do sit around and sing songs and pass daisy chains like your generation? yeah that worked great...YOUR generation screwed it up for mine, Now if MY Generation wants to Hunt we get to pay because of people in your bracket. Anyways I dont know why i put up with Old blow hards that think they "know it all" because Your uncle brother told you so at the family get together. Why dont you buy a permit..its a measly 300$ thats only 2 days wages at a normal job and read the rules and find out for yourself what actually goes on. Until then your Opinion is Null and void because you dont have a permit and the OP asked us permit holders.

And if you want to whip out intellect comparisons you really shouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight... By the way champ, wrong use of the word "there".... It should be "....their property" not "there property" Normally I wouldn't give a tinkers dammed, but you are obviously under the false impression that your head is good for something besides a hat rack.

But hey, just keep doing what your doing and you will screw all the future generations... atta "boy".

I don't know why I even bother responding to some of the primordial soup posted on here sometimes....I have had more intelligent conversations with trees.

Uhh you are mentally handicapped the game dept does not pay to patrol...they get paid..I know all the game wardens here and each one takes home a fat weyerhauser check for running around on that property, Also being your ignorant to the matter, Local sheriff deputies and off duty police officers have been given the right and jurisdiction to patrol the lands and arrest, fine, or kick out violators..Come back when you got your facts straight. And as for ruining future generations what are we suppose to do sit around and sing songs and pass daisy chains like your generation? yeah that worked great...YOUR generation screwed it up for mine, Now if MY Generation wants to Hunt we get to pay because of people in your bracket. Anyways I dont know why i put up with Old blow hards that think they "know it all" because Your uncle brother told you so at the family get together. Why dont you buy a permit..its a measly 300$ thats only 2 days wages at a normal job and read the rules and find out for yourself what actually goes on. Until then your Opinion is Null and void because you dont have a permit and the OP asked us permit holders.

YEE HAW!!! I think you two are gittin' on jist fine! I love's me good slap-fight one in a while. You two two shake hands now, and I'll buy you both a drink. :D

Eh..., the boy is a typical example of the young, dumb, and full of crap I have encountered in some of the youngsters coming up behind us old "blowhards". For the record, I got the information about W charging the state for access from a game warden..., not my uncle Joes brother or whatever he said. No reason for the guy to lie; it was at the Sportsmans show booth that WSF&W had set up. But whatever.... boys mind is made up and he doesn't want to be confused by facts. I am in the process of obtaining the State budget to put that question to bed once and for all. He's just parroting whatever the company tells him. One other thing boy.... you want to blame my generation for screwing things up? Well, I guess that is natural even though none of my hunting buddies or I have ever done anything but try to help take care of the land, picking up trash where we find it and reporting shifty characters when we see them. You said yourself Russians were running roughshod through the property stealing and breaking things....not my generation. If everyone just rolls over and buys the permit as you are doing, then they have won. The longer it goes on the more normal it will seem. I am protesting by not buying their stupid permit; but not because I cant afford it. It screws a lot of youngsters in your generation and those behind you because they can't afford it. Your comment about two days wages is probably closer to 4 days wages for a lot of these folks, and thats a chunk of money out of their budget. Me? I earn that in less than a day, so its not about the money for me personally. It just sticks in my craw that a young family can't go enjoy the outdoors because of money and the only recourse left is to vote with my wallet. So its me and others of my generation (and hopefully yours) who are trying to send a message that this isn't right.... instead of being grateful and joining the boycott, you are undermining our efforts by encouraging folks to buy the permit and buying one yourself. Thats where you and others like you are screwing it up for future generations. Remember this conversation when the permit is $1000 or more, all timber companies do it, and you can't afford it either effectively making hunting a sport for the select few rich folks as it is in Europe already. There are other ways to protect timber company property without charging what amounts to a weeks wages for some folks.

Ok, time for you to call me an old dumbass again..... It's so ridiculous that I am actually beginning to enjoy it.

I will take that beer now :s0108:

I've hunted with a Weyerhaeuser non motorized permit for several years with my son. Had a permit this year too. Hunted Weyerhaeuser again and also hunted public land too. Saw bulls in both areas. Permits have been worth it for me.

That is, paid for the access? Is it worth it?
If you read the list of things you can't do on their property, it is longer than what you are allowed to do. And you are required to turn anyone who you suspect of being on said property in to W or risk forfeiture of your permit. Also known as being a snitch.:mad:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top