JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to hunt W. land when it was free. Quit when they went to the fee system. They are free to do whatever they want as it is their land. Just as I am free to choose not to pay the trespass fees and hunt elswhere. Pretty simple really as I choose to take that money and put it towards an out of state tag where there is more game and less jackwagons. To each their own.

OP, if you are able to get past the tirade, you will find your answer. There are pros and cons to the permit. For me, I don't have time to scout a new area and I've been hunting the same area for the last 30 years. It makes sense for me to buy the permit but for others it may not.

2dognite

What mainly chaps my bubblegum is that since forever you could drive between Larch Mtn just out of Vancouver all the the way to Dougan Falls above Washougal on what was always an open road, public domain so to speak. If W wants to restrict access to all side roads fine, but a main through road shouldn't be allowed to be closed.

I would say it depends on where you want to hunt. We have a chunk of property east of Estacada that is surrounded by Weyerhaeuser property. It used to be that the property around our chunk was the place to hunt. Since Weyerhaeuser bought it from Longview Fibre and cut large, and I do mean large areas, our place has been better than anytime in my lifetime. If I didn't have a private spot, I would drive past Weyerhaeuser and dive into one of the drainages or the wilderness area on the National Forest.
I do drive by some decent Weyerhaeuser land on the way up to our place that would be great, especially with the limited hunters.

I live in woodland wa, my 20 Acres borders 950,000 acres of Weyerhaeuser land...., you couldn't buy a decent buck blacktail or a bull elk here if you had $5000. Sooo much truck traffic and idiot hunters that bought that $300 permit. What a joke.

OP, if you are able to get past the tirade, you will find your answer. There are pros and cons to the permit. For me, I don't have time to scout a new area and I've been hunting the same area for the last 30 years. It makes sense for me to buy the permit but for others it may not.

2dognite

@2dognite , that's good for you! I'd gladly pay the "walk in" money if they hadn't clearcut the section I'd been hunting for ages. I loved it there. Before the neighboring cut 3 years ago I could walk in 2/10 of a mile (up a steep hill) see deer and elk but no people all day long. I got busted by big bucks and learned a lot of lessons. Had the best seat in the house for a huge Roosevelt bull tending his heard. Sat motionless in a treestand while a momma elk watched out for her calf 10 feet from me. To have back what I used to have there would easily be worth $250-$300 to me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top