JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I did it a couple a years ago when prices were not that high. The area my buddy and I ended up going with had a very limited amount of access for sale and was in a good area, so we figured the chances should be good. We were a bit surprised to find a ton of blinds in the unit as well as hunters who were not suppose to be there. It's unfortunate that everyone wants to make a buck off of you, but I would agree that it does slightly increase you're odds of harvesting game. Good luck.

I refuse to be extorted to help them with what amounts to pest control on their seedlings. If everyone who hunts for just one year would say "screw you" and refuse to buy their access, they would rethink that approach. When I was a young man, Weyerhaeuser couldn't get away with this because when you looked at the map, the sections were laid out like a checkerboard, alternating public and private ground. They HAD to maintain access because they could not block access to public land. The state sold us out and now Weyerhaeuser has a 25 or 40 square mile block of ground..ta-da...they could lock it down and charge for access. It's a crying shame that no one even bats an eye about it. :mad:

Mark my words, the day is coming when hunting in the US is going to be restricted to only the rich who can afford it as it is in Europe and had been for years. We're dammed near there now. Hunting used to be a way for the average Joe to recreate..I'm spending my hunting money to buy out of state licenses in protest... Or at the very least hunting outside of Weyerhaeuser land. Ya'll might consider the same.

Had a favorite spot out side of McMinnville to walk my dog---the area has a lot of MT bike trails that are good exercise. Now there is a sign on the gate about access passes. I looked up the web site and the area I am interested in is not on their map. So I am blocked without any access. How much in tax breaks do they get from the state?

I have been told that if you hunt on Weyerhaeuser property to have a cutting torch on your truck bed. There are enough pissed off hunters you may find that the gate has been messed with where the gates lock doesn't work once you get in
How much truth to this i don't know but I don't wish to find out first hand.

Boycott! I was here when Willamette provided free access to most of these areas...and woodcutting...

I realize this isn't Kentucky; but I had access to 70,000 acres for $20.00 when I lived over there.

From the bean fields along the M River, to the Appalachian mountains; Westvaco Timer offered access to their tracts of land.

Turkey, ducks, doves, hogs, & deer for 20 bucks!

I am not a big fan of fees to hunt on logging land, however with how irresponsible people are now days, I understand the need to limit access. People dumping junk, starting camp fires in summer and just overall disregard for leaving things the way found has led to the fees, not greed by the logging companies.

I know a guy that bought a key this year. He has been scouting and said it looks good. I guess time will tell if he comes home with a monster.

I would think that just having less people and hopefully no idiots around would be a huge benefit.

I am not a big fan of fees to hunt on logging land, however with how irresponsible people are now days, I understand the need to limit access. People dumping junk, starting camp fires in summer and just overall disregard for leaving things the way found has led to the fees, not greed by the logging companies.

I would agree with you to a point. However, in my experience hunters as a rule I don't believe are responsible for much of the damage reported by the timber companies. I have seen teenagers running around the timber land during hunting season in search of a place to be a stupid teenager and doing stupid bubblegum that teenagers do. Hunters could be extra help in being eyes and ears for the timber companies but instead they chose to penalize us.

I disagree it is a method making money on land that will not pay off for many years in the future. I do not disagree with the reasoning but the prices they charge throws your theory out.

if punks would stop shooting up and leaving tvs, washers, dryers, tires and whatever i bet weyerhauser would not have a gate fee.
Weyerhaeuser is using it as a method of income otherwise the fees would be lower. Most people might be willing to pay 100$ for access and that would keep the scum out. They are using hunting as a profit making tool.

I would wager that the $300 fee is to cater to a more responsible crowd. How many do they sell at $300? How many would they sell if $50 or a $100?
I just don't see them making a ton of money either way.

Weyerhaeuser is using it as a method of income otherwise the fees would be lower. Most people might be willing to pay 100$ for access and that would keep the scum out. They are using hunting as a profit making tool.
makes sense. i would imagine a newly planted area doesnt generate profit for a long time. i do remember back in the day there being a lot of trash and whatnot all over the place on their land. atleast in my area.

Remains to be seen how it will play out...the main line to those areas is much more quiet...

I've picked up trash on their land up here many times in the past....won't again as long as it's closed.

The trash dumpers don't care about permits....

they are able to buy the land under the condition they still provide public recreation access so they charge exorbitant fees as they can to keep people out. They really dont want you there its a huge liability for them when logging. This is what happens when you sell your public lands.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews