Happened on This at My LGS

Reactions
Last week I went into my local enabler to pick up a S&W 617-5 that was now out of OGAM jail (that's One Gun a Month - I'm in NJ). While I was picking it up, I spied a rifle on display with a red butt pad. Ummm, Ruger – I walk over to look at it and I realize that it has some really spectacular wood on it. I look at the tag and see that it’s a #3 in .22 Hornet....neat.

Went home and couldn’t stop thinking about it. Did some research – #3’s came with steel butt plates. I also thought I remembered it having a pistol grip, not a straight wrist like a #3. Bears some looking into. I went back the next day to examine it further. Turns out somebody restocked this #3 using almost exhibition grade wood. Probably take-offs from a #1. It had nice detachable sling swivels and a nice sling, as well as a Colorado Redfield Widefield 4X scope on it. The owner of the shop, with whom I'm good friends, told me that it was on consignment. It was tagged at $899. The owner asked me if I wanted to know the lowest price the seller would accept – of course. $775 – sold. Didn’t even have to do a separate NICS check as we were able to use the previous day’s one for the 617-5.

This is just a guess, but I’ll bet the previous owner sold this rifle because he couldn’t get it to shoot. When I looked at it in the shop, I noticed that the front scope ring was angled downward. The base on which that ring was mounted is right where the barrel tapers. I figured either it was the wrong base, or it had been mounted backwards. I disassembled it when I got it home. The bases were correct, and when I took the front off, there really was no visible difference – it looked perfectly symmetrical. However, when I turned it around and remounted it, it leveled out perfectly. As long as I had it apart, I mounted a Leupold 2-7X scope that was gathering dust in my safe, rather than the 4X Redfield – which is a good scope, and fortunately not damaged from the misadventure with the base - just though the 2x-7 was a better match.

Ruger-3-A.jpg
Ruger-3-B.jpg
Ruger-3-C.jpg
Ruger-3-D.jpg
Ruger-3.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Reactions
Very pretty. .22 Hornet would be nice. My only problem with pretty firearms, they don't stay pretty for long in my hands. I take many of mine out hunting, and am hard on them.
As long as you're not abusive. Honest wear makes for a beautiful gun.
I love worn blueing.

And stocks are easy to freshen up.
Just leave the bruises. They add character.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder
Cerberus Training Group
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent transfer and very helpful
    Was there yesterday and had my first private party transfer done. Went really smoothly and pj was very helpful. He was willing to make an...
  • MTS Enterprises Of WA
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy to work with!
    Joe is a great guy to work with. A++++
  • Axis Manufacturing
    5.00 star(s)
    Axis Manufacturing is a pretty small shop located near the Spokane County Fairgrounds. Small does not mean underwhelming here. This shop really is...
  • Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Honest and Knowledgeable Gun Guy
    I made arrangements to go out to Banks, Oregon to purchase a 300 Blackout rifle Jeremy built. It seemed to be exactly what I was looking for and...
  • Gooseneck Road
    4.00 star(s)
    8/1/2020
    We went there today, at the righthand fork past the shooter info sign, and at the spot where there's a fallen log across a trail; good backstop...
Top Bottom