JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to get into competitive shooting and just wanted to get people's opinions.

Of course the glock 34 is a mainstay but with all the options its hard to make a decision.

With the p320 x five, m&p pro and even the cz75 shadow 2.

So essentially what are you running, what have you ran and why did you make that decision.

@mtaylor7210 you know that is the only possible answer, with out more details.

Lets say you get recommended an 1911. 'cause you will.
Then you show up for a Rendezvous shoot. You' might be all "but, but, but it was recommended to me."

Please, share more specifics.

Maybe recommendation is the wrong word, IE why you chose the particular gun you use.

I don't compete but if I wanted to know what your asking about, I would go to one of the competitions your looking to compete in and ask the folks shooting.

If there is one thing you can count on is competitive shooters LOVE to talk about their guns and why they are better then any other;).

Last Edited:
I shoot a glock 19 in idpa. Reason, that is my carry gun. I also have a couple xd 45s a 4" and a 5". That I run from time to time. Glock 34 or a 2011 are a good go to gun for every thing idpa, uspsa, or steel.

Maybe recommendation is the wrong word, IE why you chose the particular gun you use.

Dude this comes up a lot worded one way or another. The answer will be many idea's. I always tell people this does not work. There are so many GREAT choices that you really need to try before you buy. What I LOVE may mean nothing to you. Ranges with rentals are money savers and a ton of fun. Savers as in you are less likely to buy something only to find you don't really like it. Fun because it's a cheap way to get to try a LOT of different guns. I am a DIE HARD 1911 fanboy. I know in my head there are better now days. I just don't want them. You really need to get out and try different stuff and see what does it for you. Sadly it's far more hassle and expense in many states now to buy a gun and want to resell it.

I shoot a Glock 17 for IDPA and USPSA. I use it because I am more accurate with it compared to all the other guns I've tried.
I've tried M&P pro core, Springfield XDM, Walther PPQ, and several others, but I keep going back to the Glock simply because
I shoot better with it.

As Alexx1401 mentioned, try out a bunch of stuff before you buy. What works for one person may not work for you.

I don't compete but if I wanted to know what your asking about, I would go to one of the competitions your looking to compete in and ask the folks shooting.

If there is one thing you can count on is competitive shooters LOVE to talk about their guns and why they are better then any other;).
Yea and remember, it's the Indian no matter what. first maybe dab your toe before diving in.. which hopefully you'll do

When I was a kid in the '70's my dad raced stock cars (quite successfully). When I asked why he always ran Chevys but all our personal street cars and trucks were Fords he told me it was because most of the go-fast parts were made for Chevys. When it comes to competitive shooting, it appears that Glock is the Chevy.;)

When I was a kid in the '70's my dad raced stock cars (quite successfully). When I asked why he always ran Chevys but all our personal street cars and trucks were Fords he told me it was because most of the go-fast parts were made for Chevys. When it comes to competitive shooting, it appears that Glock is the Chevy.;)
Parts seem to cost less as well.

You will find that some guns are easier to shoot fast and accurate for you than others. The gun should fit the shooter to some degree. For example, I've tried to use a Glock 19 and shoot it like crap even after I changed the trigger. Sold it. I started out using a Sig P226 X-five, and that is the most intuitive and accurate gun for me. I also use a Springfield XDM 5.25 in 9mm which I converted to an open pistol with an optic, compensator, flared maxwell and tungsten guide rod. Got a Powder River ultimate trigger and the gun is a dream to shoot but still very different from the Sig. I had to put a couple of thousand rounds through it before I got the muscle memory down. Find a gun that feels right to you to start, it makes the learning curve much less steep. Also think about how you plan to use it, the task at hand may make a difference too. In competitions there are different rules, divisions, categories such as major power factor, limited, production, open, single stack, etc. Try a bunch and see what you like.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews