JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm looking to attend a defensive pistol type course soon and in the near future a precision rifle class that's hopefully with a 2 or 3 hour drive from the Vancouver/Portland area. Curious if anyone has any personal experience with any of the local schools. Also, what should I expect to pay for a class? I've seen some classes for precision rifle over $1000, kinda hard to swallow when I could buy another rifle at that price but if that's what quality training cost then I'll happily pay. Thanks for any help.

Oregon Firearms Academy. About 2 - 2 1/2 hours south of Portland. They have multiple classes for defensive handgun, defensive shotgun and defensive rifle/carbine. I took DH1 from them and I'm registered to take DH2 in the spring.

I was very impressed with them. They were professional and obviously well qualified. I feel it was well worth the time and money and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I think to class was $250 and required about 350 rounds of ammo.

You could buy a lot of practice rounds and watch a bunch of YouTube for tips on how to improve for $1000.

Or go make friends with the local long rang shooters at the clubs.

You could buy a lot of practice rounds and watch a bunch of YouTube for tips on how to improve for $1000.

Or go make friends with the local long rang shooters at the clubs.

I just took the Thunder Ranch http://www.thunderranchinc.com/ Mid-Range Rifle course and it was worth every penny.

Those instructors are awesome at what they do, teaching you how to run your gun and scope. I was hitting 700 yards with American Eagle .223 Ball with them calling wind.

With those 24 hours of training I now know that I can easily hit 500 yards with my AR on my own, and even further with better ammo and a spotting buddy. I now know how to hold overs, doping, spinning the dials, range estimates, and how to use my Vortex Viper PST mrad scope. I know I could have never learned all that from YouTube.

I'm going back there this week for Defensive Handgun. Can't wait!

We will be at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club in Eagle Creek, OR Dec 12 & 13. Our first shoot in 2016 will be Feb 27 & 28. Our next full distance shoot (400 yards) will be May 21 & 22.

Wolverton Mountain Gun Club is our closest venue to you (Ariel, WA); however, I don't have 2016 dates set up yet.

Hope to see you on the line.

Lowest cost option for the LR rifle would be hooking up with these guys - http://www.tcgc.org/activities/600-yard-pronebench/
They do have "clinics" that are better than 90% of the professional classes out there.

OFA for PSTC with Gabe White are about the best you can do without going up to Insights in the Seattle area for defensive pistol. You should realize that a lot of the defensive side stuff is not actually about shooting but is just as if not more important.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top